Retaining Your Defensive Tactics Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining Your Defensive Tactics Training

According to Mr. Security’s poll approximately 25% of this forum members here are over the age of 46. Do you still have the ability to effectively use the defensive tactics that you may have learned 25 years ago? I still work out but each year it gets harder to stay on a regular schedule.
    I read an article where a 70-year-old retired military person killed a mugger. Maybe he did this particular choke hold thousands of times and instinct just kicked in.
    Here’s the link.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,253959,00.html

Originally posted by T202
    According to Mr. Security’s poll approximately 25% of this forum members here are over the age of 46. Do you still have the ability to effectively use the defensive tactics that you may have learned 25 years ago? I still work out but each year it gets harder to stay on a regular schedule.
    I read an article where a 70-year-old retired military person killed a mugger. Maybe he did this particular choke hold thousands of times and instinct just kicked in.
    Here’s the link.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,253959,00.html
    T202, I posted it elsewhere; the local Walmart employ's greeters, two of whom were retired Marines, a Master Gunnery Sergeant and the other a Major, who stopped would-be thieves. Dummy #1 pulled a knife and the gunny took him down. Dummy #2 thought he'd punch the Major who took him down. The others in the crowd ran out of the store into the arms of arriving Prince William County Police Officers. All were taken into custody. The Marines were both 70-75 and the prospective Darwin awardees thought the greeters would be an easy touch, given their age. Military training and reflex response is something you don't easily forget. If you stay in shape it all the more easier.
    There are some military retirees in the security forces around here in Northern Virginia many of whom I'd not like to challenge when on duty.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

A lot of folks that age, who were in the military, fought in combat. Nothing creates a conditioned response like doing it over and over to save your life. We're seeing this right now, with guys returning from OIF and Afghanistan, they have been under fire and their conditioned responses kick in.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Yes, I can still use some of the defensive tactics I learned years ago. But that doesn't mean I am as quick as I once was . We have been training in PPCT for the last few years and I stay fairly active but I don't have the same amount of time to train that I once did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam Guard
          Yes, I can still use some of the defensive tactics I learned years ago. But that doesn't mean I am as quick as I once was . We have been training in PPCT for the last few years and I stay fairly active but I don't have the same amount of time to train that I once did.
          Dam Guard, I don't have the reflexes of my youth. I'd like to say I am better at making an assessment than back then. I still play what if...when driving or walking or visiting the mall. I still am in the practice of never returning to my car from the same direction I left from.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

I drive my wife nuts doing some of these same things Bill And not returning to your car the from the same direction and really observing the area around you and just being very observant in general is great defensive tactics. And you don't have to be in fighting shape to use them either

Comment

Muscle memory

no mater the age or shape, If i don't practice it and retain that muscle memory, we marines talk so much about, then I will forget it. I am young and in decent shape but I still need my practice.
              Todd

Comment

Originally posted by tlangsr
                no mater the age or shape, If i don't practice it and retain that muscle memory, we marines talk so much about, then I will forget it. I am young and in decent shape but I still need my practice.
                tlangsr we should always keep that in mind, practice, practice and more practice.
                Dam Guard I drive Marianne crazy in my exercises. She hates it when I have her stay two steps behind me when approaching our car and scan underneath it to see if one might be lurking there. I do not and encourage her not to park near or next to an oversized vehicle as they make wonderful ambush positions.
                Normally I wear a sports jacket or suit coat and when approaching my car, I unbutton it. If there are folks near it and I make brief eye contact, which to have the affect I want, but hopefully I'll never become cocky. That would pushing my luck and as we all know, Lady Luck takes a dim view of that.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Everyone that drives the wife nuts raise their hands......
                  1, 2, 3 ....

My wife has threatened to walk home before.

Comment

Is there even such thing as a marriage where you don't drive each other nuts?
                    Todd

Comment

Hi folks

FWIW, you can apply a physical skill better (quicker, more accurately etc) the more you do it. Repetition is an incredibly important thing.

One of the things that mystifies me regarding LE is that the people controlling the money don't provide for this. A room, a couple of mats and an hour or so every couple of days has got to be cheaper than paying for injuries.

Heck, I'm not in the security industry (I'm a programmer) but everywhere I've worked in the last 16 years has had an on site gym. Providing something for guys off shift can't be too difficult.

Mark
                      I'm not old, I'm worn.

http://www.geocities.com/juszczec/shawJCCkarate.html

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X