Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you pay for your state training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you pay for your state training?

I contacted a community college this week about their Illinois state certifications, both the basic, initial 20-hour and the next 20-hour course for armed guards. It's the only place I called so far so it's entirely possible I can find something cheaper. But I waa appalled at the price, just shy of $1000, taking about 2 months--2 consecutive weekends for each half.

So my question, for everybody but especially Illinois residents, is how much did you have to spend for your necessary certifications?

I'm still interested in hearing where Illinois officers got their training, but I've found some other classes by looking online, and they're a fraction of the community college's cost.

Comment

Training what is that ? All I ever paid for as an unarmed guard is for my background checks. 50 for a Maryland guard card and one company wanted me to pay 200 for a background check and I told them to go fornicate them selves .
      Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
      Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Florida is, as everyone likes to point out, a completely different world. Back in '03, the state mandated course for unarmed security was an initial 24-hour course with a follow up of 16 hours within 2 years of the initial course. That was $75 for the 24hr and $52 for the 16hr followup. Now, it's one 40 hour long course. The state mandated armed security course was and is, 28hrs. It used to be $175. Now, it's $250, I believe. Depending on where you go. You have to renew your unarmed and armed security licenses every 2 years. There is no class requirement for the unarmed renewal. The armed license requires a 4 hour requal class each year where you're required to fire for record. Then, there is the handcuff, baton and OC classes which are only good for 2 years. Taser if your employer permits it, adds to the overall total. Florida makes out pretty good off of security officers.
        "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

Comment

Here is NY unarmed training can be free if hired by company. Otherwise its cheap. Armed is about $400 $500 for a 47 hour course. Armed posts are very minimal...especially for the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by ColePhelps1247 View Post
            Here is NY unarmed training can be free if hired by company. Otherwise its cheap. Armed is about $400 $500 for a 47 hour course. Armed posts are very minimal...especially for the cost.
            There are actually quite a few armed jobs listed in my area (South Florida) every day, between Craigslist, Indeed, etc.

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

Comment

Originally posted by tacticalguy View Post

There are actually quite a few armed jobs listed in my area (South Florida) every day, between Craigslist, Indeed, etc.
              Im sorry...I meant in my area. My mistake. Thanks for catching that.

Comment

Never paid a cent for my work as a guard.

Comment

When I started in the mid-2000s there was no mandated training (Ontario). I worked for a mom-and-pop company and attended a one-day (unpaid) training class. A few years later, I joined a large company and took their six-day training class (unpaid). When mandatory training came into play, all currently licensed guards were grandfathered in. When I took my license test the test time was unpaid but they paid the test cost (around $65). They also pay half my guard license fee ($80, renewable every two years). I have position-specific training, where the company hired a third-party trainer and paid my regular wages to attend.

Comment

My security licence is a DBA.

My state mandated training was done by my employer on the clock

Comment

$350 for Level 2 Non Commissioned , Level 3 Commissioned (Armed Pistol/Shotgun), Level 4 Personal Protection Officer, OC, Expandable Baton, Taser.

Then another $85 to State for background (prints, FBI, DPS) and registration.

K9 Handler through work, Advanced Patrol Tactics (vehicle), we also have monthly required training.

My company only hires armed officers, out of almost 300 of us fully 1/2 are veterans or former law enforcement.

Last edited by TxCageKicker; 04-27-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxCageKicker View Post
                        $350 for Level 2 Non Commissioned , Level 3 Commissioned (Armed Pistol/Shotgun), Level 4 Personal Protection Officer, OC, Expandable Baton, Taser.

Then another $85 to State for background (prints, FBI, DPS) and registration.

K9 Handler through work, Advanced Patrol Tactics (vehicle), we also have monthly required training.

My company only hires armed officers, out of almost 300 of us fully 1/2 are veterans or former law enforcement.
                        Sounds like your state has it's **** all in one sock. Who administers the training for security in Texas? DPS?

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

Comment

Originally posted by tacticalguy View Post

Sounds like your state has it's **** all in one sock. Who administers the training for security in Texas? DPS?
                          DPS runs Private Security Board- all schools and trainers have to be licensed or certified by DPS-PSB, some schools supplement the required training with additional skills training, others just do the bare required subjects.

Comment

Originally posted by TxCageKicker View Post

DPS runs Private Security Board- all schools and trainers have to be licensed or certified by DPS-PSB, some schools supplement the required training with additional skills training, others just do the bare required subjects.
                            At least LEOs are overseeing your training and basic requirements. Here in Florida, security and private investigation are under the Department of Agriculture. In my mind, it's a nightmare.

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X