Non-dominant hand pistol draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-dominant hand pistol draw

During recent training, I had a conversation with one of the instructors about drawing non-dominant. They had a technique where you draw (cross body), bring the gun down to between your thighs, and spin your hand around into the shooting position, and then raise it.
    That seemed pretty wasteful of time (and a little dangerous), so I practiced out a new technique.
    Here's a link to the written version and a "less than great" quality youtube video, where I describe it then have a full speed demonstration.

http://preschooltattoos.com/security..._hand_draw.htm

Let me know what you think! What are your techniques?

In the video, you have a level 1 non-retention holster, which sorta looks like an Uncle Mike's.

How will you compensate for a Level 2 or Level 3 holster?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

It is a level 2 holster, With a second (Velcro) strap that covers the top of the level 1 strap. For the vid, I had the second level strap velcro'd down.

Unhooking the second strap isn't much harder, just an extra pull before you get to the snap on the level one.

I don't have any internal retention locks on this holster, so I cannot say how that would affect the process. I imagine it could still be done with a little practice.

The initial draw portion of this technique is the same with most other ND hand draws. The first step is always going to be getting the pistol out. If I couldn't do it by reaching cross body, I personally would be looking for a different holster or duty belt configuration.

Comment

Another reason I carry mine in a cross-draw.
        First reason is it isn't covered by a seat belt and easier to draw seated.
        Second reason is I can always "calvary draw" if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
          Another reason I carry mine in a cross-draw.
          First reason is it isn't covered by a seat belt and easier to draw seated.
          Second reason is I can always "calvary draw" if needed.
          I was in recruit school and they were issuing holsters. They gave me a right hand cross draw. I told them that I was left handed. They said “Not any more.” There were no left handed holsters. Everyone had to look the same. I did the calvary draw for quit a few years until we went to 9mm with a strong side holster.

Comment

I've heard that individual base commanders still do this to MP units because he wants everyone "looking identical" at guard mount. The Army, of course, is taking their sweet time in writing a General Order to the Commanding, Military Police Forces, to set a standard that can't be overwritten by the base CO, i.e. strong side carry only.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              I've heard that individual base commanders still do this to MP units because he wants everyone "looking identical" at guard mount. The Army, of course, is taking their sweet time in writing a General Order to the Commanding, Military Police Forces, to set a standard that can't be overwritten by the base CO, i.e. strong side carry only.
              Nathan, the USAF issued a directive that holsters would be both left and right side depending upon the user's strong side. Some base commanders balked and BG Shamess send out a specific directive in the name of the CofS and that ended that.
              The MP Corps is under the thumb of Director of Personnel and uniformity is everything to those folks.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X