criminal complacency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• criminal complacency

heres an interesting article that i found on officer. com regarding criminal complacency. some officers areso afraid to use force that criminlas are taking chances. http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=3
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Bigdog,

An excellent article! My instructors always say that they will back us up

in court as long as we did what we were trained to do. I think that any good

instructor will make sure his students are properly trained and support them

in any issues having to do with training. This way, I believe that a properly

trained officer would have no reason to hesitate when the time comes to act.

If an officer can articulate why he chose his actions, there should be no

problem.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
    - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
    — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

The good thing about this article is the same things apply to security officers. I remember taking the state D license course and them pounding liability for our actions into our heads to wear some people in the class said if someone attacks me ill run away. the way it shouldve been taught is witht he right training you will come out ok.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

This wouldn't be a problem if bad cops stopped using excessive force. IMO, they are to blame for this dilemma.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          This wouldn't be a problem if bad cops stopped using excessive force. IMO, they are to blame for this dilemma.
          Not really, not on the security guard wanting to run away when faced with attack front.

Most security personnel are frequently told (especially in Florida) that they are not police officers, and they cannot use force to protect themselves or others. It is written into countless manuals given by the work-a-day companies they work for: You may never use force to defend yourself.

The old timers belive this to be some state law, because they've seen it so much, and it becomes an urban legend. These old timers become state licensed instructors, but the state doesn't give exact guidance on what to teach, only a little 3 paper document about what you "should" be teaching.

The state's guidance for self defense is:
          Explain Chapter 493 and 775. Explain that security officers have no police powers of authority (Chapter 493) and no power to use force.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            Not really, not on the security guard wanting to run away when faced with attack front.

Most security personnel are frequently told (especially in Florida) that they are not police officers, and they cannot use force to protect themselves or others. It is written into countless manuals given by the work-a-day companies they work for: You may never use force to defend yourself.

The old timers belive this to be some state law, because they've seen it so much, and it becomes an urban legend. These old timers become state licensed instructors, but the state doesn't give exact guidance on what to teach, only a little 3 paper document about what you "should" be teaching.

The state's guidance for self defense is:
            Explain Chapter 493 and 775. Explain that security officers have no police powers of authority (Chapter 493) and no power to use force.
            My comment was directed toward the thrust of the article, namely, its effect on LE, not security.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X