Seat Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    I feel it when I get a call for a room with a double lock on, no connecting doors & the guest does not answer the phone. The last time he was simply dead from drug overdose in bed, the one before him was hanging on the back of the bathroom door
    Yikes!!!!...
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
      Amazing picture. I often think of the first responders to automobile and aviation accidents and the dread that they must feel inside knowing that what they see will be forever etched in their mind's eye. To any security, police, ems, medics, and FD members who handle such accidents: Thank You.
      Mr. Security that is not the half of it. I had to tell two young children there mother was asleep, resting confortably. My car captain tied a beautiful bow under the dead woman's chin and tied it on the top of her head after he replaced the top of her head.
      The next worst thing is responding to a car fire with trapped occupants. You break the smallest hole you can and push in the business end of the extinguisher. The smell of burned flesh is something that some 45 years later is still fresh in the nostrils. Carrying dead children from a scene is the most horrific. When it is caused by a drunk driver the rage you feel is almost too much to bear. We sometimes wonder, but in reality we know, why cops eat their guns after so many years or turn to the bottle. The bottle doesn't work, I tried it! ER, fire rescue and cops are now scheduled for mandatory counselling. It is about time.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
        Mr. Security that is not the half of it. I had to tell two young children there mother was asleep, resting confortably.
        Not to criticize, but euphamisms should never be used when telling someone a loved one is dead. It serves no useful purpose in the grief stages.
        ER, fire rescue and cops are now scheduled for mandatory counselling. It is about time.
        Where? I was a volunteer firefighter and EMT for 5 years and have seen some pretty terrible accident scenes and medical calls. Not once was I ever offered any type of counseling, mandatory or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
          Not to criticize, but euphamisms should never be used when telling someone a loved one is dead. It serves no useful purpose in the grief stages.

Where? I was a volunteer firefighter and EMT for 5 years and have seen some pretty terrible accident scenes and medical calls. Not once was I ever offered any type of counseling, mandatory or otherwise.
          Jackhole:
          You do what you have to do with little, I mean little children to calm them down and get them out of the area. It takes a professional counsellor to discuss death to a toddler, worse if there are two of them. Remember, it is always and stages of a child's growth. I asked our chaplain, an old Irish priest, if what I said was appropriate. He told me it was and whatever I did, don't be afraid to cry and let it all out, which I did. It makes you hug your children a little tighter when you first see them. When they saw dried smears, blood, on my uniform and asked what it was, the answer was always "mud."
          Now adays, counselling is always available. Sometimes you have to seek it other times it is just there. The military now almost forces it upon service personnel, much to their credit.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Mr. Security that is not the half of it. I had to tell two young children there mother was asleep, resting confortably. My car captain tied a beautiful bow under the dead woman's chin and tied it on the top of her head after he replaced the top of her head.
            The next worst thing is responding to a car fire with trapped occupants. You break the smallest hole you can and push in the business end of the extinguisher. The smell of burned flesh is something that some 45 years later is still fresh in the nostrils. Carrying dead children from a scene is the most horrific. When it is caused by a drunk driver the rage you feel is almost too much to bear. We sometimes wonder, but in reality we know, why cops eat their guns after so many years or turn to the bottle. The bottle doesn't work, I tried it! ER, fire rescue and cops are now scheduled for mandatory counselling. It is about time.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill
            Painful thoughts, but very true. Recently, my area has been plagued with some serious automobile accidents. Sadly, people continue to drive in a reckless manner. It can be difficult to see justice carried out because jurors are often guilty of the same driving offenses that didn't result in accidents. They tend to relate to the offender because they know if it weren't for circumstances they would be the one sitting in the defendant’s chair. Light sentences are usually imposed because it was an "accident" even though the end result is often the same as for someone who was careless with a firearm.

If the fatality rate on the highway existed within the airline industry, there would be outrage and demands for a change. Somehow, it's acceptable to society on the road.

Comment

Actually, it's Scriptural. See (Eccl. 9:5)

Comment

Jackhole:
                You do what you have to do with little, I mean little children to calm them down and get them out of the area. It takes a professional counsellor to discuss death to a toddler, worse if there are two of them. Remember, it is always and stages of a child's growth. I asked our chaplain, an old Irish priest, if what I said was appropriate. He told me it was and whatever I did, don't be afraid to cry and let it all out, which I did. It makes you hug your children a little tighter when you first see them. When they saw dried smears, blood, on my uniform and asked what it was, the answer was always "mud."
                Now adays, counselling is always available. Sometimes you have to seek it other times it is just there. The military now almost forces it upon service personnel, much to their credit.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill
                I thank you for your opinion, but I've learned differently from psychologists that taught in my EMT class and from what I've learned in continuing education in EMS. I'll stick with the advice of licensed psychological professionals.

Can I ask what type of field you were working in that you've have the opportunity to arrive home and hug your children with smeared dried blood on your uniform? I've been in EMS for 5 years and security for 4 and have never once arrived home with blood on my uniforms.
                Last edited by Jackhole; 10-01-2006, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Actually, it's Scriptural. See (Eccl. 9:5)
                  I don't like to cloud my mind with the whimsical stories of fiction that are religous scripts. I prefer to get my advice from non-fiction reading, thanks.

Comment

Enjoy the day,
                    Bill
                    Bill as usual you nailed it.
                    I just retired after 20 years as an FD Captain. (30SEPT)
                    I can only think of a very very few times a person wearing a seatbelt was killed and those wrecks were so bad the Presidents limo would probably have been finished.

I personally have survived a head-on collision in my POV because I was wearing a seatbelt. My brother an LE Sgt. was thrown out of his car in a rollover because he WASN'T wearing his. He lived and is back on duty but it was touch and go for a long time.

Most accidents happen close to home and at relatively low speeds.
                    Parking lot speeds can kill you.

Wear your seatbelt anytime you are in a vehicle. All it takes is once.

Be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
                      I just retired after 20 years as an FD Captain. (30SEPT)
                      Congratulations!

Comment

I don't like to cloud my mind with the whimsical stories of fiction that are religous scripts. I prefer to get my advice from non-fiction reading, thanks.
                        That's a pretty "gloomy" outlook there, Jackhole.

Comment

I thank you for your opinion, but I've learned differently from psychologists that taught in my EMT class and from what I've learned in continuing education in EMS. I'll stick with the advice of licensed psychological professionals.........
                          Then be prepared to constantly change your understanding of the right way to do things as the years pass. After all, how many times have the "professional psychologists" had to admit that their advice/counsel was wrong?

Comment

Then be prepared to constantly change your understanding of the right way to do things as the years pass. After all, how many times have the "professional psychologists" had to admit that their advice/counsel was wrong?
                            More often than I'd like, but it's better than blindly believing in something that probably never existed in the first place. Organized religion has never changed their advice over the years because there's no system of checks and balances - no way to prove anyone wrong. It's easy to always be right when you're making it up as you go along.

Comment

More often than I'd like, but it's better than blindly believing in something that probably never existed in the first place. Organized religion has never changed their advice over the years because there's no system of checks and balances - no way to prove anyone wrong. It's easy to always be right when you're making it up as you go along.
                              I know I'm derailing this thread, so let me just say this and then we can continue via PM if need be:

There is a difference between credulity (blind belief) and faith (belief based on evidence though not beheld). What I mean is that you believe in the wind, not because you see it, but because you see and feel its effect. It's similar w/electricity and I could use other examples as well. Also, there is a big difference between organized religion and what the Bible actually teaches. At any rate, I'll leave it at that and we can all get back to the proven benefit of wearing seatbelts.

Comment

I know I'm derailing this thread, so let me just say this and then we can continue via PM if need be:

There is a difference between credulity (blind belief) and faith (belief based on evidence though not beheld). What I mean is that you believe in the wind, not because you see it, but because you see and feel its effect. It's similar w/electricity and I could use other examples as well. Also, there is a big difference between organized religion and what the Bible actually teaches. At any rate, I'll leave it at that and we can all get back to the proven benefit of wearing seatbelts.
                                Sounds good. I don't refute the benefit of seat belts at all and wholly support their use. It's my fault for derailing the thread in the first place.

Carry on...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X