Seat Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Belts

I had the unfortunate circumstance of having a patrol wreck a few days ago. The car I was driving was made inoperable, but I was not injured at all. I would certainly have been hurt if I was not wearing a safety belt and if I would have been driving faster than I was. The value of the seat belt is just a no-brainer to me.

Still, though, I see many out there who believe they are able to function more effectively without wearing it. A lot of cops and security patrol I know of both tend not to wear the seat belt on inner city streets where the speed limit is 40 mph or less. The common excuse I hear is "what if I have to bail out to chase somebody?". The thing only takes half a second to disengage and can be done at the same time you place the vehicle in park.

It seems the real reason many cease to wear it is when they feel powerful and have an unrealistic sense of entitlement to not wear it. My wreck happened at 30 miles per hour and the car is all but destroyed. I have no doubt I would not be here now to type this if I was not wearing the safety belt. I shall always remember to put it on.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to see you made it out OK
    " You may make fun of us for what we do, but when it hits the fan, you'll be glad we were there"

Comment

I must admit, I haven't been using the seat belt in the campus patrol car. Not because I feel indistructable but because the watch clock I have to over my shoulder is a pain in my ass.

Comment

Is seat belt use not manditory in the US? Since we have public medicare & no fault government insurance here in Quebec, it is. The only exception that I know of is that a taxi driver does not need to wear them on city streets
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I was driving the patrol car back to the office when I was hit on the passenger side. ( my patrol car was a write off)The sealtbelt held me in place and only had a few bruises. The other driver was charged, appearently he was looking 2 lights ahead instead of the one in front of him.

Think safety
          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
            Is seat belt use not manditory in the US? Since we have public medicare & no fault government insurance here in Quebec, it is. The only exception that I know of is that a taxi driver does not need to wear them on city streets
            If you're patroling private property those laws do not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
              Maybe attitudes of "entitlement" are why you can't get hired as a cop.
              Nice. Very professional.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by LavianoTS386
                True. Nevertheless, many if not most security companies require you to wear them while on duty.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                  I had the unfortunate circumstance of having a patrol wreck a few days ago. The car I was driving was made inoperable, but I was not injured at all. I would certainly have been hurt if I was not wearing a safety belt and if I would have been driving faster than I was. The value of the seat belt is just a no-brainer to me.

Still, though, I see many out there who believe they are able to function more effectively without wearing it. A lot of cops and security patrol I know of both tend not to wear the seat belt on inner city streets where the speed limit is 40 mph or less. The common excuse I hear is "what if I have to bail out to chase somebody?". The thing only takes half a second to disengage and can be done at the same time you place the vehicle in park.
                  It seems the real reason many cease to wear it is when they feel powerful and have an unrealistic sense of entitlement to not wear it. My wreck happened at 30 miles per hour and the car is all but destroyed. I have no doubt I would not be here now to type this if I was not wearing the safety belt. I shall always remember to put it on.
                  Exactly. The belt can even be released as you roll up on the scene before parking. Glad you're OK.

Comment

Originally posted by LavianoTS386
                    I wrote about taxi drivers because they do have to wear them on highways.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                      I wrote about taxi drivers because they do have to wear them on highways.
                      And even IF seatbelts don't have to be worn, you could end up "dead right."

Comment

35 mph of damage. A lack of a seat belt would have been a disaster.
                        Attached Files
                        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
                          Maybe attitudes of "entitlement" are why you can't get hired as a cop.
                          I wonder what attitudes kept you from keeping your job as a cop. I have a friend who is currently a Sergeant with your department and he says most of the officers are rejects (fired from PDs in the states) and has-beens. Which one are you?

I rarely take the time to personally attack people on forums like this, but I've had enough of your condescending tone to people on here. We get it already - you're a cop (barely) and we're not. What are you doing posting on this forum anyway? Your only purpose seems to be to berate us for our chosen (or current) profession. Sounds like you're the one with an attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                            35 mph of damage. A lack of a seat belt would have been a disaster.
                            Amazing picture. I often think of the first responders to automobile and aviation accidents and the dread that they must feel inside knowing that what they see will be forever etched in their mind's eye. To any security, police, ems, medics, and FD members who handle such accidents: Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                              Amazing picture. I often think of the first responders to automobile and aviation accidents and the dread that they must feel inside knowing that what they see will be forever etched in their mind's eye. To any security, police, ems, medics, and FD members who handle such accidents: Thank You.
                              I feel it when I get a call for a room with a double lock on, no connecting doors & the guest does not answer the phone. The last time he was simply dead from drug overdose in bed, the one before him was hanging on the back of the bathroom door

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X