Handling Trespassers Safely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Trespassers Safely

Feel free to add to this post with your own suggestions. I'll start with a few of mine.

- Before engaging the trespasser(s), take down as much information as you can regarding make, model, color, plate number, descriptions, etc. This will be helpful if the situation goes south. In addition, people behave better when they know that they can be identified. Feel free to let them see you record this information before you even get close enough to speak to them. It's been my experience that they will leave without my even saying a word once they realize you are writing the information down. (They know they are not suppose to be there anyhow)

- Train a CCTV camera on the area where you will engage them. Zoom in if you have the capability. This will help to refute false accusations regarding the way you handled the problem.

- When speaking to the party, do so with a helpful tone to avoid agitating the person(s). Of course, if it's clear that their presence is for a sinister purpose, then a firm command to leave at once will let them know you mean business.

POST ON......
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

- If you are unable by law or order to physically remove a trespasser or place them under arrest, contact law enforcement prior to warning them. You have no real business contacting them if it looks suspicious, as all you can do is say "Leave," and then walk off and call the police to force a removal. If it goes bad, have them on the way already.

- Acertain their intent before challenging. They could be lost, joyriding, or casing the place. See what their doing before just riding up or walking up and saying "hello." Perferably discreetly.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I had the privledge of having a supervisor when I got my first security job who was a retired police officer. The first thing he taught me was to sit back and see what you've got before approaching. The second thing he taught me was how to do an "attitude" check on a subject.
      Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

The concept of persuading the criminal offender, even under arrest is ideal. Make them believe that by cooperating with you, there will be positive benefits to doing so. I tend to use the method of "hey, work with me. We both know you are in a bad spot, but by cooperating and going with it, you can come out on top man. As soon as PD gets here, I can see what I can do if you play it right!".. Now that can mean many things, which later i tell them that i spoke with the PD Officer, and put in a good word about them being cooperative. I am not lying in any way, its just a fact. PD asks about the subject, and I say they were cooperative. The subject feels befriended by you, cooperates and everybody wins... well almost. We dont end up escilating the situation.

This cant be applied to every situation, but if you can feel you can use, go for it.

For other situations, its multiple officers. Like Bee's, play with one, you soon have the nest at your front door. Safety in numbers is always best, if possible!
        Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
          The concept of persuading the criminal offender, even under arrest is ideal. Make them believe that by cooperating with you, there will be positive benefits to doing so. I tend to use the method of "hey, work with me. We both know you are in a bad spot, but by cooperating and going with it, you can come out on top man. As soon as PD gets here, I can see what I can do if you play it right!".. Now that can mean many things, which later i tell them that i spoke with the PD Officer, and put in a good word about them being cooperative. I am not lying in any way, its just a fact. PD asks about the subject, and I say they were cooperative. The subject feels befriended by you, cooperates and everybody wins... well almost. We dont end up escilating the situation.

This cant be applied to every situation, but if you can feel you can use, go for it.

For other situations, its multiple officers. Like Bee's, play with one, you soon have the nest at your front door. Safety in numbers is always best, if possible!
          I posted a similar comment awhile back regarding this method too. It was based on how the police handle a potentially dangerous subject until back up arrives. Often, the police will downplay the trouble that the person is in, even to the point of having them believe that it's just a matter of handling some paperwork and then they are free to go. Meanwhile, back up is closing in fast.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X