Three in court over murder of security guard at cold store site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three in court over murder of security guard at cold store site

THREE men have been charged with murder and robbery following the death of a Turkish man in Avonmouth.

Steven Sarkozi, 28, of Fishponds; Brendan Weafer, 30, of Crabtree Walk, Whitehall and Vincent Randall, 42, of Brookthorpe Avenue, Lawrence Weston, appeared at Bristol Magistrates' Court yesterday to jointly answer the charges.

The robbery involved theft of Pounds 20,000 in cash from M and M Catering on St Andrew's Road, Avonmouth, where the dead man, Senel Mansiz, 30, was a security guard.

His body was found on the floor of the company's cold storage premises at 7.45pm on October 29.

The case was watched by a packed public gallery that included police and the defendants' families.

One after the other they confirmed their names, ages and addresses, Randall dressed in a dark blue zip fleece and stone-wash jeans, Weafer in navy blue hooded top and grey jogging bottoms and Sarkozi in a grey tracksuit.

None of the three entered any plea and none of the solicitors representing them asked for bail.

Magistrates told them they will appear at Bristol Crown Court on January 22 for a preliminary hearing.

As the men were taken back to custody, Weafer called to a woman in the public gallery, telling her he would see her soon.

Mr Mansiz, who lived in Lawrence Weston, is understood to have been in England for about eight years. Four other men arrested in connection with the incident, aged 22, 24, 29and 54, remain on police bail.
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

It's a shame, they didn't have to kill Senel. He would have backed off if given the chance.

I remember this case very well, I was called in to open the court to allow the Magistrates' and the Police access to a Court Room.

It was a big shock to find out it was a fellow guard they'd killed.

I'll put my black band over my badge when the anniversary of this comes around, not something I will forget soon.
    Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
    Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X