COPIED: LPA Killed while making apprehension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COPIED: LPA Killed while making apprehension

Hey everyone this is my first time posting on this site and unfortunately its a post I wish I was not making.

A few weeks ago Greg Wainio a LPA for Kmart was killed while attempting to apprehend a male subject shoplifting. He leaves behind 2 young children and countless others who loved him. I did not know this LP but I want to try and support his family the best that I can by letting everyone know on this board how to make a donation and contribute to the family. Kmart has set up a fund for Greg Wainio which so far has raised over $50,000.

I believe the only stores accepting donations are in the Greater Metro Detroit area. If you or anyone you know live in or around that area please take a second to stop into the store and make a donation at any checkout or the service desk. Just tell the checkout operator you wish to make a donation to the Greg Wainio fund. I will post up more information if I find out more stores in the corporation accepting donations.

Thanks guys and please be safe

I'm always outraged by this sort of thing. All over $400 worth of CDs. Two in custody on murder charges, but that doesn't bring the officer back.

This obituary from The Mining Journal tells where to send donations (last paragraph) for those not living in the area. It would be nice if those who can would send a donation, even if it's only lighting one small candle against the darkness:

GAINES - Gregory "Greg" Wainio, 36, of Gaines, formerly of Grand Blanc, Mich., passed away on Thursday, January 14, 2010.

Greg died while performing his job as a loss prevention officer at a Kmart store in Waterford, Mich. A funeral service was held at Allen Funeral Home, Davison, Mich., on Monday, January 18, 2010, with Pastor Jim Combs Sr. officiating. Cremation will take place.

Greg was born in Flint, Mich., on October 28, 1973. He graduated from Northern Michigan University on December 16, 1997, and received his master's degree from Michigan State University on August 19, 1999. Greg enjoyed his time with his twin boys, Nathan and Jacob, and his family. He loved riding his Harley on beautiful sunny days.

Greg is survived by his wife, Julie Berres-Wainio of Clarkston; children, Nathan and Jacob Wainio of Gwinn; mother, Grace (Jim) Molaski, originally of Skandia, and now of Gaines, Mich.; father, Paul J. (Linda) Wainio of Grand Blanc and Marquette, Mich.; brothers, John "Toby" (Linda) Wainio of Clio and Matthew (Rebecca) Wainio of Flint; sister, Miranda (Rob) Finn of Flint; and several aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Albert and Anne Whitney of Skandia, and John and Aili Wainio of Marquette.

Donations can be made to the Greg Wainio, Nathan and Jacob Memorial Fund, c/o Dort Federal Credit Union, P.O. Box 1635, Flint MI 48501-1635.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

End of Watch....RIP

Comment

R.i.p.

Another sheepdog stands the eternal watch. Condolensces to the family.
        Tom Duprey
        Owner/Relentless Risk Management

Comment

Another tragic loss; another family without a husband and father...

Rest in Peace, Brother.

Be Safe, All.
          "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

Thanks Sectrainer for posting another way for everyone to contribute.

I will be attending a bowling fundraiser for Greg. We have the whole alley filled to the max and have received a lot of money from store employees to go towards the fund.

Comment

This is indeed tragic. I see his wife lives in Clarkston. My son and his family lives in Clarkston.

I've read a number of online articles about this - just a reminder, there is nothing your company sells that is worth your live. Be safe.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I too am saddened by the loss of a fellow LPA. Just goes to show you that companies have adopted the hands off / no chase poilcies for a reason. Gone are the days that some of us remember of chasing people down like it was the wild west. Please be safe everyone, its just not worth it.
                R.I.P. Greg

Comment

Rest In Peace Brother.

Very Sad that this happened. Be safe and careful out there.
                  "This is my mall, It is a place of beauty, of purity, it is a place where lost souls can find a home".

Comment

R.i.p

Very sad news. Thoughts are with the family. Be safe !!!

Comment

Found a picture of him:

It's ugly when things like this happen. Stay safe everyone.
                      Jack Pendick: Check this out.
                      [Jack shows the trainee a small pistol]
                      Security Trainee: Um, we're not supposed to be carrying guns.
                      Jack Pendick: We're not supposed to drink on the job, either.
                      [Jack takes out a flask and takes a swig]
                      -Big Trouble

Comment

K Mart stores in Cleveland, Ohio and surrounding suburbs are accepting donations. You can request to make a donation at the customer service desk.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X