Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando security guard shot

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...tory?track=rss

Filed at 8:28 AM, and they don't even know the man's name or what company he worked for.

I hope he recovers fully, even non-life threatening gunshot wounds aren't life altering.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

This may or may not be the same incident.

http://cfn13.com/StoryHeadline.aspx?id=15489

Two men attacked a security guard Wednesday morning and left him in critical condition.

The attack happened in the Vista Lakes neighborhood in Orlando.

Police say two men shot, beat 59-year-old Hugh Akins, a security guard with Excelsior Defense.

Akins was armed at the time of the attack, but police could not find his gun.

Right now investigators don't have a reason for the crime.

Carol Wallace, who was a witness to the attack said, "He never said why, just that they started beating him up and that they overpowered him and took his gun, and that he was shot."

Detectives searched nearby woods and put two schools on lockdown as K-9 dogs canvassed the area. The search turned up no sign of the two attackers.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

He's one of my fellow officers he works at the orlando branch. Ill pray for you brother.
        "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Update

Officer Adkins is expected to make a full recovery and return to active duty in a few weeks. The bullet struck him in the neck and exited his shoulder causing minimal damage. Im glad to hear hes gonna be ok.

Comment

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
              Update

Officer Adkins is expected to make a full recovery and return to active duty in a few weeks. The bullet struck him in the neck and exited his shoulder causing minimal damage. Im glad to hear hes gonna be ok.
              Hopefully he'll recover fully, any holes that you weren't born with are a bad thing. If its Florida its probably a .38 roundnose if they used his own weapon against him.
              Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

actually it was a 9mm roundnose bullet. Last october florida law changed to allow security officers to cary nines.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
                  actually it was a 9mm roundnose bullet. Last october florida law changed to allow security officers to cary nines.
                  9mm with jacketed only or do they allow other ammo types? Good to see they finally allow autos but if its round nose only its a high capacity .38 they're getting.
                  Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

any ammunition except

1)glaser or other type of prefragmented rounds

2)exploding bullets

3)teflon coated or other armor piercing rounds
                    4)full wadcutters
                    5) reloads

Hollow points are a security officers best friend
                    Last edited by bigdog; 05-16-2006, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      ....Witness: "..........they overpowered him and took his gun, and that he was shot."
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                        -Lieutenant Commander Data
                        sigpic

Comment

Bank guards in Montreal used to be armed. They're not anymore. I'm told that one of the reasons was because when banks were held up the criminals would get away with money. If there was an armed guard they would usually get away with money AND the guard's gun!
                          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                            Bank guards in Montreal used to be armed. They're not anymore. I'm told that one of the reasons was because when banks were held up the criminals would get away with money. If there was an armed guard they would usually get away with money AND the guard's gun!
                            Problems I see with bank security are normally with the amount of deployment, not with whether or not the lobby guard is armed. An arrangement that makes sense to me is to have a non-uniformed officer in the lobby itself, a camera system that is controlled from another room, and multiple armed officers in the parking lot. This would set up an effective response team during the case of an incident. If the b.g. can be apprehended, the armed guys can do it in the parking lot. If the situation can't be managed by the guards' response alone, such as that of a hostage situation, the camera operator should have a line open to 911 to advise about what is going on. Unfortunately, most banks I have seen don't pay enough attention to planning like that.
                            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

But that would be a response plan, all they want is liability protection!

I remember the Wackenhut guys posted at SunTrust. They were usually in the parking lot. They carried one pair of cuffs, a .38 revolver, and no ammunition. They were definately visual intimidation only.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X