X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    As far as most police being unarmed in the UK, it's likely that this has worked well because guns are not proliferate like they are here in the USA. In fact, I'll bet that homicides by gun are considerably lower over there. The more guns, the less likely that the police will be able to remain unarmed.
    According to what I've heard, guns are proliferating in the UK. They are not nearly as common as they are in the USA, but they are there and they are in the wrong hands. I heard violent crime is very common, although straight up homicide is not. Attacks are commonly carried out with knives, clubs, chains, razors, and chemicals like gasoline. Criminals are also a lot more bold. They are likely to break into a person's home while they are home. Most burglars in the USA will not dare break in while the resident is home since they know the resident has the legal right to blow their brains out. Having said that, I can only be in awe of how well law enforcement does work in the UK with those circumstances abounding. Every story I've heard of them indicates they are very tactically proficient and professional toward the public.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Apparently, the guard threw the money back in the van in such a way that the gunman couldn't get to it. That was a mistake. It's similar to a carjacking where you toss the keys to the gunman and run in the opposite direction. As long as the gunman has what he wants, he may no longer be interested in you.

As far as most police being unarmed in the UK, it's likely that this has worked well because guns are not proliferate like they are here in the USA. In fact, I'll bet that homicides by gun are considerably lower over there. The more guns, the less likely that the police will be able to remain unarmed.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Indeed, I've heard that too. I'm not sure if Canada has subjects or citizens, but at least they have some personal rights, including the right to escalate a situation to control it. Ie: right of property owner to arrest, etc.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    This is a perfect example of why. It is not ok to let your security guards get shot in the leg (or the back of the head) while running away like you tell them to when they sign up for the job. I have seen quite a few English chatters in civilian chat rooms express concern over their country's lack of respect for giving their people the authority to defend themselves in cases like these. The law enforcers will certainly express the same sentiment their government embraces, so they believe no one should own guns and only government agents should arrest. One complaint I heard from a person I work with who visited the UK for several months is (in his words) "in that country you have no rights in the same regard we Americans do. You are not a citizen, but a subject."

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    We have several UK cops on Officer.com who would like to know why we insist on arming our public and allowing security guards to make arrests. (Never you mind that the Serious Organized Crime Act as ammended allows persons other than Constables or Special Constables to arrest for an indictable offense...)

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    started a topic Robbery Left Injured Guard "Suicidal"

Robbery Left Injured Guard "Suicidal"

UK:
    Colin Baker, 42, a cash transit security guard who was robbed and shot in the leg in 2004, recounts how the incident happened and how he is no longer able to work, drive, or walk properly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4918338.stm

Yet another incident from a nation with a completely unarmed security force and a mostly unarmed police force. At least he had a union to turn to for benefits apparently.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X