Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabbed by Shoplifters

Brocktown, Nevada:
    Horace Williams, 37, a security officer at a local grocery store, was stabbed while trying to apprehend two shoplifting suspects and was hospitalized. The suspects fled in a vehicle that was found abandoned with Williams's blood in it and are at large.

http://www.localnewsleader.com/brock...ullnews&id=142
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Risking Life for Property Crimes

Was it worth it? What's the most valuable item in a grocery store worth? I say observe and report unless you are trained and equipped to handle such situations properly.

I will not die trying to protect merchandise. It can be replaced. I can't (I don't mean as a guard ).
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

If that was in the description of the job, then that was an occupational hazard. Whether he was trained well or equipped well, it doesn't say. I've known people who got hurt on the job no matter how well prepared they were.
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Anyone can get hurt on the job. The question is: Is it worth the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          Anyone can get hurt on the job. The question is: Is it worth the risk?
          I suppose that question can only be answered correctly by the person who agrees to take on the job and understands the risks as well.

Comment

Was it worth it? What's the most valuable item in a grocery store worth? I say observe and report unless you are trained and equipped to handle such situations properly.

I will not die trying to protect merchandise. It can be replaced. I can't (I don't mean as a guard ).
            Most grocery stores do not hire uniformed persons to "observe and report." They are there for either robbery prevention or loss prevention duties, traditionally to apprehend shoplifters.

A store clerk can observe and report, which is why you don't see security that much in grocery stores. They expect the security officer to protect them from robbery and make shoplifting arrests.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

It is also common for companies who employ such guards to make them buy all their own gear and duty weapons. It is possible he did not even have a vest on simply because he couldn't afford one.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                I suppose that question can only be answered correctly by the person who agrees to take on the job and understands the risks as well.
                And, just to add to that, has actually been hurt trying to do it. That's the acid test.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                  It is also common for companies who employ such guards to make them buy all their own gear and duty weapons. It is possible he did not even have a vest on simply because he couldn't afford one.
                  Isn't it, though? Scary concept. We'll provide you with a uniform, you buy everything else yourself.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Isn't it, though? Scary concept. We'll provide you with a uniform, you buy everything else yourself.
                    And by the way, we pay 9.00/hr.

Comment

And by the way, we pay 9.00/hr.
                      Where do I sign up???

Seriously thought, 9.00 an hour is considered good around here.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                        Where do I sign up???

That's sad.

Comment

Same around here too..

Unless you are working a Military base or some sort of GSA account, most security makes between 7.50- 9.00 an hour. I currently make 9.75 an hour, but am going up to 11.50 soon. Not great... but I dont ask for a lot. Plus, I have medical, dental, vision, life, and I got something in the mail saying my 401K is up and going.. but I dont know anything about retirement yet.
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                            Same around here too..

Unless you are working a Military base or some sort of GSA account, most security makes between 7.50- 9.00 an hour. I currently make 9.75 an hour, but am going up to 11.50 soon. Not great... but I dont ask for a lot. Plus, I have medical, dental, vision, life, and I got something in the mail saying my 401K is up and going.. but I dont know anything about retirement yet.
                            If it's the same 401k we have out of our office it kinda sucks because there is no company match, when I put on my bars I started looking at it more. I think I've pretty much decided to go with someone else and set up a retirement fund.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                              It is here as well, as long as you get to work 60+ hours per week with time and a half pay after 40 hours.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X