Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Guard Patrolling Hotel Shot in Leg

Houston, TX:
    Two security guards stationed at a Marriott Residence Hotel in northeast Houston approached two suspected car burglars in the parking lot of the location. The two individuals ran on foot and one produced a handgun, which he used to shoot one guard in the leg. The two suspects are still at large.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kprc/20060322/lo_kprc/3346919
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

2 guards vs. a group of men? I don't like the odds and would not have approached w/o back up, even if it required a call to police. Two guards can't watch everyone's hands and we all know what can happen when you can't see someone's hands.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
      2 guards vs. a group of men? I don't like the odds and would not have approached w/o back up, even if it required a call to police. Two guards can't watch everyone's hands and we all know what can happen when you can't see someone's hands.
      Sounds like 2 on 2.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

KPRC Click2Houston.com

Sorry, but I just see the word "group."

An officer with the Houston Police Department told KPRC Local 2 that an altercation began at about 3 a.m. after two guards approached a group of men in the parking lot of the Marriott Residence Inn on the North Sam Houston Parkway near Hardy Road.

Police said as the men fled, one of them fired a gun, hitting one of the guards in the leg.

An official with the hotel said the guards were hired to patrol the property because of an increase in car burglaries in the parking lot.

The security guard was transported to Northwest Medical Center and is expected to be OK.

Police said the uninjured security guard was able to provide descriptions of the men, who remain on the run. They are not sure if the men are connected to the recent string of car burglaries.

Comment

I have had to approach a "group" of 25 before to tell them to disperse. A group of 2 or 3 is a small hazard compared to that. Dealing with hostility is an occupational hazard.
          "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

1. I saw "two individuals" in the blurb on the forum. Probably interjected that into the story itself. Whoops.

2. I had a patrol supervisor who was required to dispurse a group of 150 roudy African American teenagers who were causing a disturbance. The St. Petersburg Police Department told him that they wouldn't have enough officers to go near that call for at least two hours. They also wished him luck.

It became a monthly occurrance with my former employer. The supervisors got very good at identifying the leaders and telling them the facts of life. There's a bunch of white cops coming down on you, and if your here when they get here, its going to be Tyrone Lewis all over again. Tyrone sparked the St. Petersburg Riots in the 1990s.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
              I have had to approach a "group" of 25 before to tell them to disperse. A group of 2 or 3 is a small hazard compared to that. Dealing with hostility is an occupational hazard.
              Unfortunately, that's true.

Comment

I sent an e-mail to the General Manager of the hotel on Thursday asking her to wish him the best. I do this for all hotel security people I hear about being injured. I send condolences for those killed on duty. Fortunately there have not been too many.
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X