Security Shot in Public Toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    You have to remember something, which is scary. The state trains security guards NOT to train them, but to regulate the industry. You are trained in the aspects of legally using the weapon you are priveliaged to carry openly. You are trained in the nomenclature of the weapon, so that you may properly articulate that nomenclature to whomever needs to hear about it (the court, usually.) You are trained in the legality of non-lethal force because the state would be remiss in discussing lethal without non-lethal. You shoot a qualification course to demonstrate to the state that you are competent enough with your weapon to put rounds on a target.

What the state courses are not, and probably will never be, is training in how something is done. It's liability management on a societal scale, and nothing more.

What does weapon retention have to do with ensuring that a private person understands the legal, social, and ethical ramifications of choosing to use lethal force?
    N.A., as with your usual preciseness you have stated exactly what is wrong with the guard industry.
    As for holster retention, early in my law enforcement career, I thought I knew what I was about. Wrong! I did not watch a female's actions carefully enough, giving deference to females, which could have cost me my life and that of my car captain.
    I got smacked upside the head and went down. The female attempted to pull my Model J, Colt from its holster. I was wearing at that time, all the rage, a clam shell holster. She did not know about the spring lever.
    My car captain took a 36" riot baton and whacked her across the buttocks and she went down. I was told about his action later.
    I've always used this experience in demonstrating what happens when you loose sight of the "Ten Commandments of Security and Law Enforcement."
    Again, N.A., as you have stated, nobody from the state regulatory agency is bothered with the holster retention issue. I think they should because it would lessen the possibility of a miscreant getting hold of a weapon and inflicting further harm upon society.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by medic15al
      I agree. My weapon! For me. not him. I am trained in weapon retention and tactics. Some from Waxkenhut, most from the PD I reserve at.
      No matter what your training may be, you still can be overpowered and have your weapon taken from you under the right conditions. Go to ODMP and read about the POLICE officers who have suffered such a fate, despite their training. Do you think any of them started their shift believing that it would happen to them before the shift ended? Probably not.
      Last edited by Mr. Security; 03-19-2006, 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        No matter what your training may be, you still can be overpowered and have your weapon taken from you under the right conditions. Go to ODMP and read about the POLICE officers who have suffered such a fate, despite their training. Do you think any of them started their shift believing that it would happen to them before the shift ended? Probably not.
        Being armed is a trade off. However, if you are not armed, and you encounter a situation where you must contractually act with lethal force - you are screwed.

Your either going to be buried by six, or judged by twelve, or worse, one. (A civil trial judge.)
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          Being armed is a trade off. However, if you are not armed, and you encounter a situation where you must contractually act with lethal force - you are screwed.

Your either going to be buried by six, or judged by twelve, or worse, one. (A civil trial judge.)
          Granted. My point is: Don't think it can't happen to you just because you've had training.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Granted. My point is: Don't think it can't happen to you just because you've had training.
            What you have said is quite true; however, we must always try to stay at the top of our form and, as boring as this might sound, constantly play the mind game of

Comment

I wont fall for that mindset as I've seen too many Cops and a few Security officers injured from it. Like I said, I will have a chance to survive and worry about the consequences later after I have survived, assuming I do. Death sure as hell ain't an option vs. civil bull****.

Comment

Oh, this is definate. My sig on SPE reads:

There will always be someone smarter, faster, stronger than you. This means nothing, you must still prevail.

And its true. Because, when it comes down to it, if you have to fight them, failure may mean death. Not only your death, but the deaths of others.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X