X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigdog
    replied
    Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
    Yeah I knew all that. I am guessing that there is probably no permit needed to keep a gun in a business. I understand there is a license involved if you wish to arm a security officer. The two are completely different subject matters.
    No there isn't a permit needed. You can open or concealed carry a firearm if at your home or place of business for personal protection.

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--
    LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

Leave a comment:

• mjw064
    replied
    Yeah I knew all that. I am guessing that there is probably no permit needed to keep a gun in a business. I understand there is a license involved if you wish to arm a security officer. The two are completely different subject matters.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
    Do you need a permit to keep a gun in a business in Florida?

I ask, because even here in Washington DC, where we have some of the strictest gun laws in the country, a business owner may keep firearms for the protection of his life and property in his business, in the same way a homeowner can and without any special permits (of course, prior to the Supreme Court ruling it had to be a shotgun or a handgun purchased prior to 1974).
    If working as a security officer even in-house you need to have a "G" License.
    If you are the owner of the business himself and aren't providing security no you don't need a license.

PRIVATE INVESTIGATIVE, PRIVATE SECURITY, AND REPOSSESSION SERVICE
    493.6102 Inapplicability of this chapter.--This chapter shall not apply to:

(4) Any unarmed individual engaged in security services who is employed exclusively to work on the premises of her or his employer, or in connection with the business of her or his employer, when there exists an employer-employee relationship.
    Last edited by bigdog; 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mjw064
    replied
    Do you need a permit to keep a gun in a business in Florida?

I ask, because even here in Washington DC, where we have some of the strictest gun laws in the country, a business owner may keep firearms for the protection of his life and property in his business, in the same way a homeowner can and without any special permits (of course, prior to the Supreme Court ruling it had to be a shotgun or a handgun purchased prior to 1974).

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    According to the state he doesn't hold any licenses as a security officer or PI. SO he was illegally carrying the firearm.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Nathan I agree with your assessment, the deceased acted stupidly. I was impressed with the wording of your post.
    If he was a felon, why was he in possession of a firearm? If he did not have the necessary "tickets," then he is just a big guy for hire. Were he to have replaced brains with a firearm then he truly was a bottom feeder.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• johnnylawdog
    replied
    I would hope that this individual did not have all the licenses due to the fact he was a 6 time felon if he slipped thru the cracks ,then the Florida system is flawed . He may have straightened his life around but the situations was still handeled wrong and he paid the price .

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Anyone know if Tony had the proper licenses to do what he was doing? Providing plain clothes security basically needs a C (private investigator) and a G (firearms) license, and anyone providing uniformed needs a D (security) and a G (firearms) license.

From what I remember in Ybor, most of the "security" personnel are unlicensed bouncers who know better than to carry a gun. It is not beyond the realm of reason that plain clothes officers from Tampa Police would fail to identify themselves in a timely manner, as well.

We may never find out what "really" went on, though. But, from what it sounds like, Tony's employer may be in world of hurt from the Department of Agricutlure and Consumer Services.

What bugs me, as well, is the idea of "go get a gun." If you don't have a gun on you, then you don't need to have someone get one for you. If you have time to "go get a gun," its not an immediate lethal force situation and the gun isn't needed. Because, quite frankly, if you have time to have your friend go get his piece, you have time to disengage or use non-lethal force.

Leave a comment:

• sec-guy
    started a topic security mgr. killed Tampa, FL

security mgr. killed Tampa, FL

Differing Accounts Emerge Of Shooting In Ybor City, Tampa, FL

By RICH SHOPES

The Tampa Tribune

Published: September 8, 2008

Roobik Vartanian
    YBOR CITY - Roobik "Tony" Vartanian had planned on celebrating his daughter Isabella's third birthday Sunday.

Instead, family and friends gathered around a grassy spot where Vartanian lay bleeding to death a day earlier.

"We were supposed to have a party at our house in Lutz. Instead, we're planning a funeral," family friend Cassie Savinetti said.

Amid their grief, Vartanian's family and friends questioned the police version of events that took place just before an officer shot Vartanian early Saturday morning.

Police say Vartanian, 35, a security manager at the Club Prana nightclub on Seventh Avenue, got into a dispute while ejecting two men from the club. Carrying a gun, he followed them to a parking lot behind a warehouse between Sixth and Seventh avenues.

Police say two plainclothes police officers arrived, identified themselves and told Vartanian to drop the gun. Instead, police say, he turned toward the officers.

Officer Rick Harrell fired a shot, hitting Vartanian in the stomach. Vartanian died at Tampa General Hospital.

"I'm not going to say he was a saint, but for a man to die that way isn't right," said Steve Dugger, a towing operator and friend of Vartanian's.

Dugger was cleaning a parking lot Sunday when Vartanian's friends and family members showed up to create a makeshift memorial near where he was shot.

They laid pink and red roses there. Vartanian's father, Vasgin, and stepmother, Annette, sat on the grass next to the flowers. His half brother, Mike, 23, stood nearby.

Vartanian moved to Tampa from Jacksonville about a year ago. He had just put a deposit down on a condominium at 1611 E. Sixth Ave., not far from where he was shot.

"All he cared about was his daughter," Mike Vartanian said.

For family and friends, the grief was colored by anger.

Dugger said his employees saw the shooting and told him the officers did not identify themselves and did not wait for Vartanian to turn fully toward them before firing.

"These were plainclothes cops. If Tony knew they were cops, he wouldn't have pointed a gun at them," Dugger said.

The shooting happened about 1:20 a.m. Saturday.

Police said Vartanian and other employees chased the two men outside after an argument in the club and confronted them behind the warehouse. He asked one of the employees to go back inside to get a gun. Moments later, the two officers showed up in the van.

Police maintain they identified themselves to Vartanian and ordered him to drop the gun, but he refused and turned toward them.

Recia Henry, 23, of Ybor City, was working at the parking lot and disputed the officers' account. She said the officers never identified themselves.

"Tony never had a chance," she said.

Other eyewitnesses said the officers did identify themselves, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.

"The officer got out of the vehicle and yelled twice, 'Police. Drop your weapon.' At that point, after he yelled the order twice, the man turned toward the officer with the gun. Several witnesses gave that account," she said.

Family members said they think the men from the club saw where Vartanian lived and were headed in that direction when Vartanian confronted them. He was near his Sixth Avenue condo when the unmarked van pulled up.

Among the differences in versions are charges that Vartanian yelled racial epithets at the two men, who are black.

His brother denied that, saying Vartanian dated a black woman for seven years.

"That's not Tony," he said.

Vartanian will be buried in Jacksonville, where the rest of his family lives.

"He was a wonderful boy," his father said. "He was my best friend."

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X