• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Guard's Spine Crushed Saving Woman's Life

Security Guard's Spine Crushed Saving Woman's Life
    Wife: 'He's Just That Type Of Person'

POSTED: 5:18 pm CDT August 27, 2008
    UPDATED: 8:14 pm CDT August 27, 2008

CHICAGO -- A security guard walking home after work is critically injured after making a split-second decision that saved a woman's life.

NBC5's Rob Stafford reported that Rogelio Rodriguez was walking behind the woman, a stranger he had never met, when witnesses said slabs of granite came crashing down from the side of the Chase Bank at the corner of Damen and Cermak.

"I saw my husband laying there in, like, a halo of blood around him," said Rodriguez's wife, Amelia.

Rodriguez was hit in the head and back, but said moments before impact he managed to push the woman to safety.

"That's who my husband is," Amelia Rodriguez said. "He'll put somebody else's life ahead of his. He's just that type of person -- he's very kind."

Rodriguez has yet to meet the woman whose life he saved.

Rodriguez is in intensive care at Stroger Cook County Hospital, Stafford reported. Rodriguez's wife said he will survive, but said he will never walk again.

"The moment the doctor told me that our whole life together for three years flashed before me," Amelia Rodriguez said. "All the activities we do -- we're not drivers, we do everything by foot."

We can't ever do the things we love," Amelia Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez added that though her husband's spine was crushed, her husband's spirit was not.

"I try not to cry and be strong for him, but it's hard," she said.

The Rodriguez family has hired a lawyer who is investigating the accident, Stafford reported, and a spokesman for Chase Bank said the bank is working with the lawyer and the family to reach a solution.
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Wait a minute! Security Guards are allowed to save lives?
    Washington DC

Comment

Rogelio Rodriguez is a hero. My prayers are with him and his family.

Comment

My sentiments exactly Plugger.

Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
        Wait a minute! Security Guards are allowed to save lives?
        BTW, mjw064..nice TROLL mate (that was sarcasm in case you miss it), must take great fortitude of character to take cheap shots at someone for doing the right thing and being injured in the process.

Do I recall reading well wishes to you from many on this board after your injury?
        The difference between ordeal and adventure is Attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Aust-SecMan View Post
          My sentiments exactly Plugger.

BTW, mjw064..nice TROLL mate (that was sarcasm in case you miss it), must take great fortitude of character to take cheap shots at someone for doing the right thing and being injured in the process.

Do I recall reading well wishes to you from many on this board after your injury?
          Are you serious? If you know all that about me, you should have some idea what was meant by that statement. If this guy was a member of this forum, I would have wished him the best too. I have the utmost respect for security officers who do their jobs and Protect and Serve on a daily basis, often with little recognition or thanks.

And yes, many wished me well and actually I am still not even healed up yet. It may be another 6 months.
          Last edited by mjw064; 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM.
          Washington DC

Comment

Agreed, a true hero. My prayers to him and his family.
            "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Comment

Mr. Rodriguez is a true hero. God bless him.

Stay Safe.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X