Female NOPD oficers dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female NOPD oficers dies

Now I may sound like a prick for this but I realy feel there afew things we can learn for this sad event.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326148,00.html

And yes there will be a test so read up and tell what you think should have been done or not done?
    Last edited by CAPTAIN KOOLAID; 02-03-2008, 06:38 AM.
    CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

In my area any and all calls will automatically get a back up on scene prior to the first officer making contact with a potential perp. Unless this officer was a member of Bruce Lees family it would have been in her best interest to get some back up even if it's someone hanging around the store as often happens.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

In a perfect world back up is always available before making contact. Anyone who's been involved in law enfocement will tell you that it's not unusual to make contact, even with a potential suspect without a cover unit (unless your blessed enough to have a department that has two man units). In most of the situations I'm involved in I advise dispatch of my location, brief suspect description an if I need a cover unit. I then make contact and after assessing the situation I will advised dispatch of the current situation (is it under control, do I now need another officer and if so how fast).

The article was not specific enough to decide what the officer did or did not do right/wrong. I do belive it is a good thing to learn from the mistakes of others, however it can be done without sarcasm (Chucky's comment). A police officer is dead, treat her with respect.

Stay Safe

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
        Now I may sound like a prick for this but I realy feel there afew things we can learn for this sad event.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326148,00.html

And yes there will be a test so read up and tell what you think should have been done or not done?
        IMO, you should never aproach anyone alone who is being investigated for a violent crime. Two officers should have been dispacthed to the scene, I feel she was set up to fail before the traggic event occured. It wouldn't surprise me that her training may have been shortend to get more bodies on the streets faster.

As far as my training goes (as an S.O.), I was always told to never attempt to cuff a perp. by myself. Always wait for backup! Since we don't know the whole story, we can't be sure at this point if the perp. was resistive from the get-go. In a situation where there is a chance the perp. will resist arrest this is what I learned to do: have the perp. face away from you, slowly have him/her get down on their knees and cross their legs at the ankles. Than have him/her slowly walk them selves into a lying position with their arms. Now have them turn their head to the left or right and have them extend their arms to the side away from the body and raise them as high as they can, parallel to the ground. Carefuly approach the perp., basically in one motion: your inside knee (in relation to the perp.'s body position) is place bellow the perp.'s shoulder blade on the back, the outside knee is place placed in the armpit. Take the perp.'s arm in front of you by the wrist and bring it straight up so it's it front of you. It is impossible to get out of this hold, I know this as having done and been in it, in training of course. When you are ready to cuff, hold the arm with one hand, retrieve the cuffs with the other hand and proceed as you would normally cuff a perp. Getting the perp. off the ground is next, but I won't get into that now. The situation wasn't delt with very well, and it's sad to say it and I mean no disrespect by it, but just because someone is a police officer doesn't mean they will handle a situation better than a trained S.O. I'm willing to bet many people on this board, including the armed officers I worked with for Allied would have succesfuly taken this perp. in.

Prayers and thoughts are with this fallen officer and her family and friends.

Comment

The "Thin Blue Line" just lost another thread.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Keep in mind that NOPD is a SEVERLY understaffed department in a very busy city especially this time of year (hello, mardi gras!). All of you talk about her not waiting for back up, she probably didn't have it.
            SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
              Keep in mind that NOPD is a SEVERLY understaffed department in a very busy city especially this time of year (hello, mardi gras!). All of you talk about her not waiting for back up, she probably didn't have it.
              Regardless if backup was readily available or not, I still strongly feel attempting to bring a violent perp. into custody by one's self is a poor decision.

Comment

On the other hand, agencies with the "hold till backup arrives" will delay a call up to 2 hours, even violent offender in progress calls. We can't have it both ways, folks.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  On the other hand, agencies with the "hold till backup arrives" will delay a call up to 2 hours, even violent offender in progress calls. We can't have it both ways, folks.
                  (sincere, not sarcasm)
                  Could you please clarify Corbier, I am unsure what you mean by "We can't have it both ways, folks."

Comment

As many LEO's have mentioned on another forum, we don't know all the facts and second guessing her actions could be an insult. Maybe it started to unravel unexpectedly and it didn't matter if back up was enroute.

The bottom line is that LE is a dangerous occupation and those who choose it understand that the best safety precautions and tactics will not make it as safe as most other occupations.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Mr. Security,

You summed up the situation far better than I could . Thank you.

Stay Safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                        we don't know all the facts and second guessing her actions could be an insult.
                        I couldn't agree more. All too often we get folks doing the armchair quarterback routine before they know anything more than what the news media is telling them.
                        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by msofin View Post
                          (sincere, not sarcasm)
                          Could you please clarify Corbier, I am unsure what you mean by "We can't have it both ways, folks."
                          In this thread, people are saying, "You should never approach a scene without backup." In other threads, we bitch that the police response is 1-2 hours.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X