Best Buy LP stabbing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy LP stabbing...

This happened maybe a couple of years ago and I just heard of it when I interviewed for an LP position with the company not too long ago. Apparently what happened was that 2 suspects were seen trying to leave the store with various "computer" items...monitors, keyboards etc. The stop was made and 1 person went to jail...I was told the other guy they had to let go for some reason A few days later the same LP was working at the front of the store when the suspect that was released returned. He calmly walked in the doors, made his way to the LP guy and proceeded to shank him just below and behind his right ear The LP did survive the incident and from what I understand doesn't work LP anymore because he's too busy running a couple of their stores now that he owns as part of the settlement. I'm not for sure when or exactly where this happened...just thought everyone might like to know about the unknown LP!
    "Life In Every Breath"

I'm probably just in my old cranky mode, but I am not understanding about how the guard who got stabbed got some stores by way of the law suit.

Unless the store invited the suspect in the store for the purpose of stabbing the guard, I don't see where they have any culpability in the stabbing.

Please fill me in on the info needed to make my brain understand this.

If that's possible, of course, since we all know an old mind is a terrible thing to waste, or to have.

Comment

Oh yeah...it happens. Our LPM got stabbed once during a stop. Needless to say, the suspect got away.
      Top Flight

Comment

bpd

It's probably likely the LP made a sitnk about not enough training or something. Who knows? I have worked with bouncers who have sued the bars after getting hurt in a brawl...

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
          I'm probably just in my old cranky mode, but I am not understanding about how the guard who got stabbed got some stores by way of the law suit.

Unless the store invited the suspect in the store for the purpose of stabbing the guard, I don't see where they have any culpability in the stabbing.

Please fill me in on the info needed to make my brain understand this.

If that's possible, of course, since we all know an old mind is a terrible thing to waste, or to have.
          bpdblue,
          I've always wondered myself how he pulled that off. The LP guy didn't elaborate of course. That's just what he told me happened. That's me to...my brain doesn't function like it used to. Only thing I can think of is like dougo83 said, "It's probably likely the LP made a stink about not enough training or something." No one will ever really know for sure...although I did hear that a settlement might have been involved also
          "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by LPAjh9558 View Post
            bpdblue,
            I've always wondered myself how he pulled that off. The LP guy didn't elaborate of course. That's just what he told me happened. That's me to...my brain doesn't function like it used to. Only thing I can think of is like dougo83 said, "It's probably likely the LP made a stink about not enough training or something." No one will ever really know for sure...although I did hear that a settlement might have been involved also
            Since the defendant (Best Buy) is known, it wouldn't take too much research for someone with a Lexus/Nexus account to hunt this down with the appropriate keywords - if there were such a case.

There's one thing that's almost dead certain, though - no settlement would have involved giving the plaintiff any of Best Buy's stores. The complications would be enormous (for instance, what is the value of a store?...how would the plaintiff's attorneys be paid...how would the defendant's insurance company participate...etc.), and that's not how lawsuits like this are handled anyway.

To say nothing of the question of what anyone who presumably is not an expert in electronics retailing would even do with such stores. If they gave you or me a Best Buy store tomorrow, it would be a bloody miracle if we stayed open two months. The whole idea is silly. If you sued an ambulance company for negligence, do you think they'd hand over the keys to a couple of their ambulances? "Mercy Hospital, I find you negligent, and award the plaintiff ownership of the Maternity Pavilion, the cafeteria, and the morgue."

A court doesn't award property to a litigant in a civil lawsuit unless the possession and/or ownership of the property is actually the subject of the lawsuit itself, or the transfer of property will satisfy some element of a contract, etc. Tort cases like this would have been (if it happened) are almost without exception settled for cash, because that's how attorneys want to be paid. Besides, you're hoping the award is so big that Best Buys will need every one of their stores just in order to pay it. Awarding you the stores would only hinder the defendant from being able to pay.

Nope. No attorney would allow his client to be "paid off" with a couple of Best Buy stores, so the next time you hear this story, give it the big "BWAHAHAHA!".
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-22-2007, 11:52 AM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I must admit, this story did leave me scratching my watch & winding my a** I wondered for the longest time if this guy was full crap or whatever. Maybe if we put our vast knowledge & resources together we MIGHT get past the grand reopening

Anything but the cafeteria...the food always stinks in those
              "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X