Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unarmed Security Guard Gunned Down While Chasing Shooting Suspects

Glendale, AZ:
    Last Friday night, a shooting incident on the parking lot of Famous Sam's led off duty police officers who were working security there on a foot pursuit of the suspect. A security guard working at Macarena's, across the street, joined in the pursuit. The suspect was chased into an apartment complex at 4400 W. Ocotillo Rd. The security guard, who was running ahead of the police officers, followed the suspects into the complex where he was ambushed and shot. He was Glendale's first homicide victim this year. Police say he was unarmed.

http://www.glendalestar.com/articles...ews/news03.txt
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Originally posted by 1stWatch
    Glendale, AZ:
    Last Friday night, a shooting incident on the parking lot of Famous Sam's led off duty police officers who were working security there on a foot pursuit of the suspect. A security guard working at Macarena's, across the street, joined in the pursuit. The suspect was chased into an apartment complex at 4400 W. Ocotillo Rd. The security guard, who was running ahead of the police officers, followed the suspects into the complex where he was ambushed and shot. He was Glendale's first homicide victim this year. Police say he was unarmed.

http://www.glendalestar.com/articles...ews/news03.txt
    What was this guy thinking? I hope he wasn't married and/or had kids. He had no business getting involved in a shooting incident. What a tragedy.
    Last edited by Mr. Security; 02-04-2006, 06:18 PM.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I see numerous mistakes made here.

First of all, the security guard was insane for leaving his property to respond to that incident that happened across the street. He was unarmed, so he had no business giving chase to armed suspects, especially when police were also chasing the suspect. He would have been in a better position to stand over the original shooting victim, who I assume lived.

The off duty police officers did nothing to stop this person from joining them in the chase. Maybe they thought he was armed and was wearing body armor?

Whether that was the case or not, the foot pursuit was done improperly. In this case, one person is supposed to take the "lead" while the others "cover". This is the same concept as when police get into vehicle chases. Other on-duty police elements should have been notified and should have been creating a perimeter around where this happened so the elements with squad cars could end up minimizing the danger of the foot pursuit.

The police department ended up with absolutely no description of the suspects. No one bothered to get on the radio or, if one was not available, a cell phone, and give the dispatcher a current location of the suspects and their description while the incident was in progress. Maybe if the cops were too winded to be able to do that, the security guard could have done that?

I was not there, of course, and I don't know how this really went down, but it seems the incident reeks of a lack of planning and drilling of practical skills.
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Agreed. Maybe we will get more information on this incident after the investigation.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

This is just too ... for words. I'll come back to this thread if we ever learn more about it, or if I can figure out something to say.

All I can say is disrespectful to the dead.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

What a brave and valiant end for a dedicated officer. He totally disregarded his own safety for the sake of protecting club patrons and armed police officers.

Comment

He should have stayed at his post and let the rent-a-cops handle it. Sorry for his family that it happened.
              Last edited by EMTGuard; 02-06-2006, 09:07 AM.
              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X