Guard shot breaking up Halloween prank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard shot breaking up Halloween prank

MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (AP) -- A security guard who tried to stop Halloween egg-throwers was shot in the head and chest and was "fighting for his life," the police commissioner said Thursday.

Neville Webb, 52, of White Plains, was in extremely critical condition at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx after the Wednesday night shooting in Mount Vernon, said Commissioner David Chong.

Chong said Webb, a former correction officer, went out to break up a group of young men who were throwing eggs at cars and people just before 9 p.m.

"When he went out to stop them it appears that one individual shot him," the commissioner said. "This poor security guard was just doing his job."

"It just seems to me that there is a culture out there that really doesn't value human life," Chong said. "Surely if it's stemming from the simplicity of Halloween and egg throwing and criminal mischief, it really has escalated into something quite more brutal than that."

Webb's son, Christopher Webb, is a candidate in Tuesday's Mount Vernon City Council elections.
    http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...38/1004/living
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

After running off last nights halloween punks (used the ol' "the cops are on the way" ruse), I think I'll wear my vest and if the company wants to fire me for it, oh well, at least I might not wind up like this guy.

Comment

Always wear a vest craig. If you get fired, screw em!

Be Safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I always find it sad when someone try's to do 'the right thing' and gets hurt/killed as a result. It wont stop me mind you but it's still a shame, especially someone like this former C/O who made it out of the joint alive after dealing with these kinds of idiots and much worse on a daily basis.

It is not how they died that made them heroes, It's how they lived.

They are our heroes. We shall not forget them. (Canadian Police and Peace officer's memorial)
        I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

UPDATED -- Security Officer Died .

Candidate's father dies after Halloween shooting in Mount Vernon

By ROB RYSER
          THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 2, 2007)
          MOUNT VERNON - A 52-year-old security guard from North White Plains who was on life support after being shot in the head and chest by thugs who threw eggs at his car on Halloween died last night with family at his hospital bedside, police said.

"This senseless, heinous crime is now categorized as murder," Mount Vernon police Commissioner David Chong said today. "The Mount Vernon Police Department will leave no stone unturned in efforts to bring the murderers of Mr. Neville Webb to justice."

Webb, the father of council candidate Chris Webb, was also a father figure for the residents of the Oakwood Gardens Apartments at 630 E. Lincoln Ave., the complex where he was on duty as a gun-carrying security guard the night he was shot.

Webb, who had been on a respirator and was never well enough after the shooting to speak to detectives about what happened, was declared brain dead about 10:30 p.m. at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx.

Police interviewed people at headquarters last night and are interviewing more people today, Chong said.

No suspects had been charged by 8 a.m.

"We are gathering up all the evidence to ensure that when we do make an arrest, this case will be rock solid," the commissioner said.

The family, meanwhile was taking the death hard, said Chong, who took a personal interest in the shooting from the beginning.

"This goes to the core of what every one of us tries to do - to go to work and make a decent living - and then this happens," he said.
          Its not how we die that counts.....
          Its not how we lived that counts....
          all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post

Be Safe,

Hank
            Exactly. When I was a Lake Enforcement officer for a police department, I always wore my kevlar. After about a week on the job, a commander came down to me and said, "There's no need for you to wear that thing out there. It's just extra gear you dont need. This is boat patrol, not Hill Street Blues, no one is gonna kill you out there. I don't want to see you wearing that vest anymore."

...not a day went by I wasn't armored.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

This is a little to close to home and one of the reasons O&R security (I know he was armed) needs to be extremely cautious when approaching anyone, especially multiple subjects. You just cannot watch everyone at the same time - someone’s hands will be out of view and it's the hands that kill.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                This is a little to close to home and one of the reasons O&R security (I know he was armed) needs to be extremely cautious when approaching anyone, especially multiple subjects. You just cannot watch everyone at the same time - someone’s hands will be out of view and it's the hands that kill.
                Doesn't seem O&R to me to approach someone vandalizing a building. Seems more like intervention security.
                "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog View Post
                  Doesn't seem O&R to me to approach someone vandalizing a building. Seems more like intervention security.
                  Agreed. My comment was intended for O&R security officers who may be required by post orders to ask trespassers to leave the property. That is what I am required to do and it often means approaching the individual.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post

Be Safe,

Hank
                    Why would one get fired if they put on a vest. In MA no laws prohibit civilians to own and wear them, just dont commit a crime in it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Unit6 View Post
                      Why would one get fired if they put on a vest. In MA no laws prohibit civilians to own and wear them, just dont commit a crime in it.
                      Because the management of the company makes a rule or regulation that his security guard employees have no need for a vest, and therefore will be terminated if they wear one.

A vest implies a lot of things. It implies that there is a threat from gunfire. It implies that the client's facility is not a safe place. It implies that the guard services provider is placing the employees in physical harm, which may be regarded as a known occupational hazard, and OSHA law would require every guard in the firm to have a vest provided for them.

Don't forget the "only the police wear vest" gimmick, as well, that some managers and clients have.

I would invite you, working for the firm you do, to ask a supervisor with your branch what they would tell a static unarmed guard if they wore a vest.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

When i work detail on occasion at a a shopping plaza in a nasty part of Worcester Ma and LP's Store Manager asked me if i had access to a vest that could stop a knife, in the event i got poked. Just so happened i had my own vest from when i worked at a college. My Security Company Account Manager heard about it and didnt say anything. The Client is always right, and they get what they want.

I Do understand where you are comming from with the worksite not being safe thing, but seriously if they want to get serious about Kevlar enforcement, they would have to take my boots, gloves and my Mock turtle neck, those are Kevlar enforced =)
                        sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X