X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security guard shot foiling club robbery - Sydney Australia

Security guard shot foiling club robbery

Sydney Morning Herald - 24.09.07
    Police said the guard was injured trading shots with at least three armed men wearing balaclavas, who smashed their way through the rear door of the club about 11.40pm (AEST).

He was rushed to nearby St George Hospital with "serious wounds to the torso and limbs", an NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said.

The robbers fled the scene empty-handed.

Full article(s) @ Sydney Morning Herald & ABC News

Considering the SO was primarily hit in the upper torso & stomach, I wonder if his company will now consider shelling out for some body armour? FWIW I reckon he did a good job... pity he didn't dispatch any of those 3 balaclava-clad oxygen thieves
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post

Sydney Morning Herald - 24.09.07
    Police said the guard was injured trading shots with at least three armed men wearing balaclavas, who smashed their way through the rear door of the club about 11.40pm (AEST).

He was rushed to nearby St George Hospital with "serious wounds to the torso and limbs", an NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said.

The robbers fled the scene empty-handed.

Full article(s) @ Sydney Morning Herald & ABC News

Considering the SO was primarily hit in the upper torso & stomach, I wonder if his company will now consider shelling out for some body armour? FWIW I reckon he did a good job... pity he didn't dispatch any of those 3 balaclava-clad oxygen thieves
    Sounds like a reinforced/steel back door might also not be a bad investment. It must have been a pretty flimsy door if they figured they could smash their way into the club fast enough to effect a robbery/getaway before police arrived. This door should have represented an unacceptable delay instead of an invitation for forced entry.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

heck, throw in a few claymores while your'e at it
      sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

SecTrainer,
        I agree. If you can enter the back door of any establishment that has a reasonable cause for safety and security, it should be a metal solid core door. We had a burglar here in town that hit the same mom and pop store 5 times before they changed the back door. I always wondered why it took 5 times for them to act.

Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
        heck, throw in a few claymores while your'e at it
        Don't forget to read the side carefully. "Point towards enemy"

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney View Post
          SecTrainer,
          I agree. If you can enter the back door of any establishment that has a reasonable cause for safety and security, it should be a metal solid core door. We had a burglar here in town that hit the same mom and pop store 5 times before they changed the back door. I always wondered why it took 5 times for them to act.

And also don't forget, place with the long arrows facing up. If you hit a rock, pick you another spot! If you're fortunate and have a fully charged cordless drill, use a long 5/8" industrial bit and above all, drill quietly.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
            Sounds like a reinforced/steel back door might also not be a bad investment. It must have been a pretty flimsy door if they figured they could smash their way into the club fast enough to effect a robbery/getaway before police arrived. This door should have represented an unacceptable delay instead of an invitation for forced entry.
            After a little more digging... seems the establishment was in fact an RSL (Returned Serviceman's League) 'bowling club' most likely complete with a restaurant, bar & gambling machines (pokies), the report I heard on the radio mentioned something about glass doors being smashed in IIRC, but usually early reports by the media are a little sketchy in the least like the Daily Telegraph's version (found HERE) of this event that appears to have a conflicting sequence of events etc.
            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney View Post

I've seen prototype testing of possible LEO versions loaded with rubber pellets, like emplaceable stingballs for crowd control. I'd like to see that tested on a raquetball court. lol
              sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
                I've seen prototype testing of possible LEO versions loaded with rubber pellets, like emplaceable stingballs for crowd control. I'd like to see that tested on a raquetball court. lol
                Would that be the very same device as seen being used against the cast of Jackass II?

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post

......He was rushed to nearby St George Hospital with "serious wounds to the torso and limbs", an NSW Ambulance spokeswoman said.
                  May I be the first to congratulate the Security Guard on a 'Job Well Done' and wish him a speedy and successful recovery from his wounds.

Comment

I was under the impression that Australia didn't have armed security. Hmm, learn something new everyday.
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                      I was under the impression that Australia didn't have armed security. Hmm, learn something new everyday.
                      Australia has very strict Firearm Regulations and not all Securtiy Guards are armed but those that are must meet the very strict conditions that are imposed and failure to do so would result in very heavy penalities including seizure of the firearm by police and cancellation of the Security Guard's Licence.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Armed SOs generally work cash transit, but some Security providers do offer armed patrol and/or static services

IrishCop is on the money when he says our gun laws are strict, the Port Arthur Massacre in Tasmania 1996 became the turning point for Australian Gun Laws historically speaking

This incident to this day is surrounded in much controversy... should anyone be curious, additional information can be found HERE
                          Last edited by Maelstrom; 09-27-2007, 10:37 AM.

Comment

The security officer is fortunate he reacted since there is a bloody good chance he would be 6 feet under now. As I learnt many years ago - it is better to be judged by 12, than carried out by 6.

Another incident Maelstrom may wish to include is the killing of a bandit who struck a covert cash in transit officer and badly injured her before she went up to his car and killed him through his windscreen at point blank range.

The company behind it all was a sub-sub contractor to a cheap arse (can I say arse ?) company who has cut out 20% of the armoured truck services due to their use of soft cell cars and undercutting. Some of the staff are getting $12.00 a pick up as sub contractors - hence they high turnover.

During the trial outcome last year, we used it as a case study scenario in my classes and we had a different view to that of he judge (but again we were not there - she was).
                            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Was this the CIT incident where the woman was hit with a pipe and responded with lethal force?
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X