This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillsborough County Deputy Sheriff killed at DUI check point

BRANDON, Fla. — A sheriff's deputy at a drunken driving checkpoint was fatally shot in his patrol car Wednesday, and a suspect was killed by a SWAT team after barricading himself at home.

Sgt. Ron Harrison, a nearly 21-year veteran of the Hillsborough County sheriff's office, apparently tried to drive himself to the hospital after he was wounded about 1:30 a.m., Sheriff David Gee said.

A woman driving next to Harrison said he clipped her car as he sped down the road, his lights flashing, then he veered into a tree. Harrison, 55, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

"It's unclear if (the shooter) was in a vehicle or if he ambushed (the deputy) from the roadside," Gee said.

Around the same time, authorities received a call from another woman who said her boyfriend told her he had been in a shooting with a police officer, Gee said. Deputies found the man barricaded in his house, and he repeatedly fired at deputies before he was shot and killed, Gee said.

Harrison was the third deputy shot in Florida in the past 10 days and the second to die.

Be safe,

Hank
    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

This would be more appropriate for the Officer.com LODD thread. This thread is meant more for security, and O.com has their own thread for police.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by davis002 View Post
      This would be more appropriate for the Officer.com LODD thread. This thread is meant more for security, and O.com has their own thread for police.
      Davis~
      You are correct sir! However, I am not a member of any other group. I wanted to show my respect for Sgt. Harrison as I have worked with this outstanding individual on three seperate ocassions and we actually exchanged phone numbers and email addresses (professionally). Unfortunately, I did not know him personally. I will never forget how much of a professional and a simple decent and down to earth man Sgt. Harrison truly was and I wanted to share this with all of you. I placed the article in this forum because he was a supporter of CIS and security as a whole. He stated to me on one ocassion...." We could not do our jobs without you folks! We appreciate what you all do!". He was a "salt of the earth" type of man who gave 20 years of his life to serve us. He was to retire this December. Because of his support and appreciation for S/Os, I thought it appropriate. I will be one of many representatives from CIS attending his funeral......

Be safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

If you know they guy thats different imo, as your showing your humility towards him.
        Its not how we die that counts.....
        Its not how we lived that counts....
        all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
          If you know they guy thats different imo, as your showing your humility towards him.
          Thank you Utah. He was a honorable man and I for one, will never forget him.

Be safe,

Hank

Comment

Thanks for Posting that Hank. All we in the relm of security can say is, "But for the grace of God, there go we." We like they are but a shared craft.
            Utah, nice touch.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

The thing on my mind, and on many Officers in this state(both LEO and SO) are the fact that 3 FL LEOs were murdered in a period of 10 days.

Let's all stay safe out there.
              SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                "But for the grace of God, there go we." We like they are but a shared craft.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill
                Amen Bill! Amen.

Be safe,

Hank

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X