Security officer dragged 20 feet by fleeing automobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security officer dragged 20 feet by fleeing automobile

BLUFFTON -- A driver thought to have been impaired dragged a Shipyard Plantation security officer at least 20 feet Sunday morning.

According to a Beaufort County sheriff's report, a newer model Chrysler Sebring pulled up to a Shipyard security gate around 3:30 a.m.

Security officer Anthony Raycraft asked the driver where he was going, the report states.

When the driver said he was going to see his girlfriend,

Raycraft smelled alcohol and asked if the driver had been drinking.

The driver cursed at the officer, said "no," and then started to drive away, the report states. Raycraft told a deputy he tried to grab the driver and his arm got caught in the driver's seat belt.

According to the report, Raycraft told the man to stop, but the man drove off anyway, dragging the security officer in the process.

Raycraft broke free after being dragged about 20 feet, and the suspect got away.

One of Raycraft's hands, his knees, shoulders and elbows were cut and scraped. The tendons in the trapped wrist also were torn.

Sheriff's Capt. Toby McSwain said Tuesday that investigators have identified a suspect and hope to make an arrest soon.

He said investigators are not yet sure what charges the driver will face.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local...-5814729c.html
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Why do people believe that they can pull a driver out of a vehicle? The only time you can win against a car is if you:

1. Shoot the driver and get a hard kill or incapacitation shot.
    2. Be out of the way of the now out of control vehicle (if it ever got to moving)
    3. Hope the vehicle doesn't destroy anything as it crashes, but it will, so something important.

You can't get a mobility kill on a car with anything short of a rifle, even then, its not a true kill - people can drive on rims or with cracked radiators.

Cars are huge. Now, if the person cooperates, then you don't have to fight the car.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
      Why do people believe that they can pull a driver out of a vehicle? The only time you can win against a car is if you:

1. Shoot the driver and get a hard kill or incapacitation shot.
      2. Be out of the way of the now out of control vehicle (if it ever got to moving)
      3. Hope the vehicle doesn't destroy anything as it crashes, but it will, so something important.

You can't get a mobility kill on a car with anything short of a rifle, even then, its not a true kill - people can drive on rims or with cracked radiators.

Cars are huge. Now, if the person cooperates, then you don't have to fight the car.
      I agree. Even when I was in LE I never tried anything like that. Get the plate number and call it in.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

yep have to concur on this one, reaching inside was a big mistake, hope he learned his lession.

Comment

He learned that one the hard way. At least it wasn't worse.
          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X