Guard stabbed, then stiffed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard stabbed, then stiffed

It was a chaotic, frantic scene at Stroger Hospital.

A convicted murderer was being treated for a skin disorder when he pulled out a shank, stabbed a guard in the neck, wrestled him for his gun, and fled down the hall. He hijacked a shuttle bus before being stopped.

Cook County Correctional Officer Vito Zaccaro lost blood from the stab wound on his neck. But he never gave up his 9mm handgun and gave chase until he helped to stop Willis Reese's escape attempt.

Now, two months later, Cook County Board President Todd Stroger's office has told Zaccaro he can't prove his injuries happened while he was on duty. Officials are denying his request for duty-related injury benefits.

Additionally, Stroger Hospital officials have sent the 19-year officer a $3,750 medical bill for the emergency services he received that day.

"I'm flabbergasted," Zaccaro said. "What do I have to do for them to believe I was working? Get killed?"

Stroger spokeswoman Ibis Antongiorgi said because Zaccaro has a claim for compensation pending, she can't comment on his case.

The letter from Stroger's office denying him benefits doesn't explain, either.

Zaccaro's attorney, James Marszalek, said "it's shocking he's being treated like this."

"This guy was a hero," he said. "Now they're jacking him around."

Sheriff Tom Dart visited Zaccaro in the ER that day and vowed to do all he could to help his family, but the decision to provide benefits is out of his hands, officials said.

And while the injury to Zaccaro's neck has healed, he continues to have to take shots for Hepatitis and sexually transmitted diseases because investigators believe Reese hid the weapon in his rectum.

Reese was using the bathroom in the moments before the attack, Zaccaro said, and -- following protocol -- his handcuffs were removed.

Zaccaro said he expects to go back to work in June. But as the sole provider for himself and his wife of 16 years, Mary, he hasn't had a paycheck in two months. With the denial of benefits from Stroger's office, he says he doesn't know how he'll pay the mounting bills at home.

But he did have an answer for those who sent him a hospital bill.

"I sent it back to them with a note," he said. " 'Keep dreaming.' "
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Hmmmmm almost to unbelievable to believe. I think we are missing some things here. A murder convict dangerous enough to require an armed guard has only one watching him in what is usually considered a busy area of a hospital. He is unhandcuffed by the same guard and expected him to jump right back into the cuffs. No sorry I can't but it.

As strange as it seems we had a guy that worked with us years back that would physically injure himself when no one was around and claim that someone broke into the company and attacked him always away from camera view. After the third phantom intruder the company hid some cameras and told no one. This Assclown got caught. He was not in it for the money just a little strange. The investigating company said some people do this kind of stuff for the attention.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
    Working...
    X