Store Guard Attacked With Cases Of Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store Guard Attacked With Cases Of Beer

PHOENIX -- Phoenix police said they hope surveillance video will help them catch two men who beat up a security guard at a convenience store.

Related Content: Beer Used As Weapon Against Guard | Images

In the video, the two men are seen entering the store and trying to walk out with four cases of beer, authorities said.

When the guard blocks the door, the men attack, beating the guard with the beer and stealing his gun and pointing it at him.

The men are then seen fleeing the store, police said.

Authorities said the guard wasn't seriously injured.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/13347520/detail.html
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Hm... 2 cases of beer is not worth getting killed over. He should have either made the decision that he was outnumbered and let them leave, or to shoot these guys when they started hitting him with the cases. As far as Im concerned, a 24-case of beer and the 2v1 is more than enough to cause great bodily injury, justifying a potential lethal force situation.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

If he'd never been armed in the first place, he wouldn't have tried to block the door.

Comment

Bad Tactics + Firearm = You may die.

Blocking a door is never a good idea unless you are confident through training and experience that you can then subdue the advancing threat.

Against two people with heavy objects in their hands? Don't stand there like an idiot, either take them on or wait for a better opportunity.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

mistake

like point out afew mistakes. one never put you back to wall start with. the s/o had right idea not let subjects get behind him but he had no place fall back and draw he's weapon plus there could be 3rd subject waiting car saw what was going on come help friends jump the s/o from behind while s/o dealing with he's 2 friend so try never to put back to exit or enter way

sgt koolaid

oh ya
          CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Not a smart tactic. Let them go and try to get a plate number on a vehicle. If confronted with the beer bandits in an offensive stance with weapon (beer), then draw when threatened. Now another gun in bad hands because of a bad decision. I hope they catch the punks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney View Post
              Not a smart tactic. Let them go and try to get a plate number on a vehicle.
              Have you ever worked loss prevention? I have, although not in a convenience store setting, but I imagine that if you "let go" every subject or two attempting a "beer run," you'd quickly gain notoriety and lose a lot of beer.

I've made solo apprehensions with multiple subjects several times. It's challenging, but it's something we were trained to do. If possible, I would generally attempt to have back-up in the form of mall security or even a sales manager (to call 911, if things got out of hand).

Comment

And there's the fundamental difference between uniformed contract security and in-house LP. LP is trained to apprehend, contract is trained to disengage at the slightest hint of confrontation - or to disengage.

These are generalities, of course, so some folks can spare the thread with "Well, I'm unarmed and I'm required to apprehend 20 people."

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  And there's the fundamental difference between uniformed contract security and in-house LP. LP is trained to apprehend, contract is trained to disengage at the slightest hint of confrontation - or to disengage.
                  I don't know the specific circumstances of this situation or this security officer in particular, but I would imagine that if he's armed and working in a convenience store, he is expected to apprehend thieves and, even more importantly, engage robbers attempting to hold the place up. I'd also guess that he may have been working plainclothes (as I've seen from some convenience store loss prevention officers).

Comment

If you look at the video (washed out) - he appears to be in uniform.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
                      If he'd never been armed in the first place, he wouldn't have tried to block the door.
                      I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but if I'm understanding it correctly, then I think your statement contradicts your signature.
                      Anything that hits the fan,
                      Will not be evenly distributed.

Comment

Originally posted by LPGuy View Post
                        I don't know the specific circumstances of this situation or this security officer in particular, but I would imagine that if he's armed and working in a convenience store, he is expected to apprehend thieves and, even more importantly, engage robbers attempting to hold the place up. I'd also guess that he may have been working plainclothes (as I've seen from some convenience store loss prevention officers).
                        I know this is a generality, but it has always frightened me how many companies will give a guard a gun, then tell them that the gun is for visual deterrence only.

That's right, its a deterrent. If you are met with deadly force, or something you are supposed to observe and report is... You are to call 911 and flee. After all, the liability of your employee shooting someone is much greater than the liability of the guard failing to act.

Damn sad state of affairs, that is.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X