Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard shot by police in Chicago

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/ee7087f...ally-shot.html

A tragedy, no matter what the circumstances or facts turn out to be.

It is quite unfortunate. From initial reports, he had responded to a shooting and had legally detained someone at gunpoint. While I don't necessarily want to absolve the police of any wrongdoing, I can't help but wonder if part of the problem was the near- complete lack of training security guards receive about firearms use. One thing that police officers are taught is not only how to fire their weapon and the circumstances when it's appropriate, but also a lot of related information, such as how to not be accidentally be mistaken for a "bad guy" and how to react when other police officers arrive on scene (especially important for plainclothed work).

One thing that I think needs to be emphasized for security guards is that while you might be a "good guy", the police have no way of knowing that. Given the state of the security industry and its hiring practices, the police cannot make any assumptions about the fact you are wearing a security guard uniform. What that means, for example, is if the police tell everyone to put their hands up in the air, you do it too....

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
    Working...
    X