Cruise ship guard injured by polar bear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise ship guard injured by polar bear

Glad the guy lived; hope he makes a full recovery. I have to admit, "polar bear attack" was not previously on my radar for on the job risks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/29/w...uise-ship.html

I'm sure squid will be on soon to tell us all what the guard did wrong and how he knows more about doing this than anyone else...

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
      I'm sure squid will be on soon to tell us all what the guard did wrong and how he knows more about doing this than anyone else...
      He wouldn't because he's an American and you fools don't prepare for this sort of thing. As a Canadian, Polar Bear Self Defense (PBSD) is a fundamental training program that all security guards in our country have to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
        Never underestimate the stealth of even the biggest predators. Its what they do for a living. I was kayaking at a lake and pulled up on the beach to stretch legs and pee, and 20yrds away up springs a HUGE puma and he bounds up the hill. I was looking right at him against hill-side and didn't see him till he broke cover. Spent the next 3 months checking under my bed for mountain lions.

Best thing is make lots of noise and give them a chance to bail, which almost all will do when confronted with more than one adult human.

I'm guessing Polar Bears are a lot broader and diverse in prey and hunting skills than commonly portrayed and the guards were thinking "white bears to catch seals in snow" only.

I'd also guess the guards inadvertently boxed in the bear. Probably landed, spread out on the flats, then began to "close in" on the bear who was hunkered down in a gully.

"He wouldn't because he's an American and you fools don't prepare for this sort of thing. As a Canadian, Polar Bear Self Defense (PBSD)"

We are all prepared down here, no PBSD (lol) classes needed. We got the 2nd Amend so all the bears know their best move is to high-tail it the hell out of there when they hear any non-Canadian accent.

Seriously, I'd bet test would show bears on the US/Canada border would react with more caution and fear to an American voice than Canadian.

PS-shouldn't use the term "attack" if he survived. I don't think anyone has ever survived a shark attack by any shark over 4ft, only "shark investigation". When sharks attack off the US coast their momentum carries them clear into the air when they are after seals.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZVbSYRC9P0

"Guard was batted away by bear after inadvertently cutting off the bear's escape route" more like it.
        Last edited by Squid; 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X