No announcement yet.

Killed in the Line of Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well stated indeed. The only problems with that are you have to keep up with p.d. politics and who's who in supervision to know who you can trust. It's also a problem when the person's immediate supervisor supports the problem. Immediate phone numbers of trusted commanders, recordings, calls to the media, and a lawyer on retainer certainly help out a lot when you run into those troubles.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

A long time ago they had a story on national TV about security officers in a large city required to wear fake guns. The guard demonstrated by removing a revolver looking device from the holster and pulling the trigger. All that was heard was snap, snap, snap! The company owner justified the measure because he could not get his company registered to hire armed guards and wanted to give those people to whom he protected a sense of security and wellbeing.
      I've heard and seen situations like subsequent to that program.
      N. A. Corbier is correct in his analysis, "warm to the touch," ask no questions and just stand there. See something suspicious, notify LE. With what? The guard would have to run to phone if there was one nearby and state what he had seen. Then to add insult to injury, the guard was dismissed for abandoning his post.
      Don't try to make sense of it, just shake your head and be glad it was not you.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

You are right S/Os dont get the respct they deserve. Day in & day out security officers are injured and some even get killed in the line of duty. The person incharge of our training is a retired LEO. ANd he said now days sometimes wearing a uniform means nothing as far as respect. But I think we may be able to do our best to help change that. I have been thinking about making a web page or something in for Security Officers Killed In The Line of Duty. And also putting some things on the page for LEOS, Fire/EMS and Military. I would like to see a web site built that will show others what the job is about. And not some bull crap of a tv show made up by writers at a table.

I have e-mailed the presidentbush to voice my concern and plan to e-mail the national law enforcement officer memorial i would like to see them put something up to honor fallen s/o's. Im not sure they may already have one. I e-mailed presdent bush and others about issues relating to S/O's. I think alot of people just think Security just sit around. And i got news for them alot more goes on than what the avg person thinks. If anyone would like to get with me on some ideas of a web site to give honor to the active,retired and fallen security officers send me a private msg. Thanks

Stay Safe All

Comment

Originally posted by S/O245
          You are right S/Os don't get the respect they deserve.
          I applaud your efforts but like N. A. Corbier stated, the bulk of s/o's are serving the private interest sector not the general public. Does that mean our job is insignificant? By no means! However, if we can't convince many in LE that we merit respect, what chance do we have with the public? They won't even respect the police. If I'm proven wrong, I be surprised - but happy!
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

As far as checking ids and stuff i know of police officers who have chcked to make sure other officers are who they say they are.

As far as responce time in the city of cincinnati is cane be a while for things. But i have listend to CPD and heard the same officers go from domestic violence calls, drug deal calls, street violent robbery and many other things. They are always busy in the Districts.

As far as the question about chasing the subject who stole something I probably would not give chase. If your un armed and you go running after them after they run away and they place no threat to your or others at the time you really have no reason to give chase. Your primary objective is to protect life & property. Just like the trespassers i have when i called the PD and 5 Officers Responded within 2 to 3 mins I did not follow them. They walked off My post's property. I spotted them at the back fence area and i hit a light on them. They kept walking i was on the phone with PD. I had no reason to walk up towards the area they went to. I walked to a certain point to kinda hide my location and see if they left my area. And like I said before im un armed. I would be crazy to go after them. Another thing say if i did go up towards them. Im now off my property and on someone elses property. My main thing is to protect life & property on my post. They left my posts property so they were no longer a problem to me. But i did hear PD hit the siren and yell at someone to stop the vehicle. So i guess between me calling and the PD they became the PD's problem lol. And me thinks the PD handled that problem.

Stay Safe All

Comment

Originally posted by S/O245
              You are right S/Os dont get the respct they deserve. Day in & day out security officers are injured and some even get killed in the line of duty. The person incharge of our training is a retired LEO. ANd he said now days sometimes wearing a uniform means nothing as far as respect. But I think we may be able to do our best to help change that. I have been thinking about making a web page or something in for Security Officers Killed In The Line of Duty. And also putting some things on the page for LEOS, Fire/EMS and Military. I would like to see a web site built that will show others what the job is about. And not some bull crap of a tv show made up by writers at a table.

I have e-mailed the presidentbush to voice my concern and plan to e-mail the national law enforcement officer memorial i would like to see them put something up to honor fallen s/o's. Im not sure they may already have one. I e-mailed presdent bush and others about issues relating to S/O's. I think alot of people just think Security just sit around. And i got news for them alot more goes on than what the avg person thinks. If anyone would like to get with me on some ideas of a web site to give honor to the active,retired and fallen security officers send me a private msg. Thanks

Stay Safe All
              Funny you should mention that making a webpage thing. I just got the idea early yesterday, sat down, and installed a forum for the purpose, among others.

The National Fallen Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial is for sworn law enforcement officers, serving a public authority, only. They specifically stated this, so as to preclude law enforcement officers working as specials for private companies.

I do not believe that the Memorial should be tasked with anything other than the mission their governing board has envisioned. I believe a seperate memorial group should be set up, incorporated as a non-profit, and that people should back it. Just as Firefighters have their own, and EMS personnel (I hope), private security concerns should have one.

There is a website created by a company owner in NYC, http://www.securityofficermemorialfund.org/, however, this appears to focus primarily on NYC and 9/11. They have their battles to fight, and may not be powerful enough to deal with a fund on a national basis.

If someone wants to make a metric ton of PR, has access to fundraisers, government, and spin doctors, then I would suggest that their company would advance greatly by sponsoring such a memorial. Of course, first, they would have to counter the tide of negative publicity that security officers recieve in the media, before people would give to them.

I mean, hell. When's the last time you had a security officer's benevolence fund call you at dinner time, asking for a donation? We get it all the time from FOP, PBA, WPPA, and a dozen other bonafide law enforcement unions and associations.

Then again, when you see a security company sponsoring something in the civic area, its that company.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I work for a security company that is just over 100 years old.

http://www.smithprotective.com/

It's a shame that there are those who feel that security has no good purpose in our society,
                even though there is clear evidence over the last 100+ years that security is indeed for the most part, a good idea.
                This is why it's an instant no sale for me, when I find someone on either side of the law with no respect, or appreciation for security.
                I don't get mad at them, but just rather consider them as another iceberg to steer clear of.
                Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
                Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd_shift
                  I work for a security company that is just over 100 years old.

http://www.smithprotective.com/

It's a shame that there are those who feel that security has no good purpose in our society,
                  even though there is clear evidence over the last 100+ years that security is indeed for the most part, a good idea.
                  This is why it's an instant no sale for me, when I find someone on either side of the law with no respect, or appreciation for security.
                  I don't get mad at them, but just rather consider them as another iceberg to steer clear of.
                  Well, hell. That outfit dosen't look like *coughWackenhutcough* half bad.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Well, hell. That outfit dosen't look like *coughWackenhutcough* half bad.
                    I will reserve any and all comments about that company, having worked there in a rank and file capacity, since they would be considered "flaming". I wouldn't want to get banned from the forum after all.
                    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Let the 'revival' of the 'dead' thread begin! lol

I was told by three people last night that my job as an armed security officer for a government facility was not as dangerous as a community police officer. They wen't on to tell me that I would never have a need and shouldn't be allowed to carry a semi automatic pistol, much less would ever need more than 10 rounds.

I started to look up incidents on google of shoot outs involved with armed security personnel and I came across this old thread. I was wondering, if there is an organization that keeps track of security officers that have died in the line of duty?

Comment

Originally posted by msovfin View Post
                        Let the 'revival' of the 'dead' thread begin! lol

I was told by three people last night that my job as an armed security officer for a government facility was not as dangerous as a community police officer. They wen't on to tell me that I would never have a need and shouldn't be allowed to carry a semi automatic pistol, much less would ever need more than 10 rounds.

I started to look up incidents on google of shoot outs involved with armed security personnel and I came across this old thread. I was wondering, if there is an organization that keeps track of security officers that have died in the line of duty?
                        There is no organization that I am aware of that keeps track of this information. If you were interested, you could start your research with the United States Department of Labor.

And in regards to your first statement... a controlled environment is always safer than an uncontrolled environment. And although all government facilities have a risk of violence, the fact is that it is a controlled environmental, which makes it a much safer place to work, then an uncontrolled environment, where ANYTHING can happen at ANYTIME.

Comment

It's a shame really. Many people don't realize how important we are. However, you shouldn't have become a security guard to gain respect. You should have become a security guard to protect people. We are the silent heroes. We protect from behind the scenes. We are to deter crimes. In a way that's why people might not see our value. Our entire job is to deter crime before it happens, and any security guard that is successful, will see to it that a crime never occurs, so people might assume we do nothing. However, you should still feel like you are helping people.
                          Last edited by GuardSecSSCS; 07-27-2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Security Officer Memorial

PRIVATE OFFICER INTERNATIONAL has a web based memorial wall for security officers killed in the line of duty on their website. September 13 or 15, 2013 is their memorial week with ceremonies at different locations around the country.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X