Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badge Mourning Bands

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by james2go30
    I think it shouldn't matter if you wear a band. I respect LEO's and the work they do. Same with s/o's...well some of them anyway. It is respect for a fallen commrade, not matter if you are an s/o and they are LEO, doesn't matter...both positions share the roots in the past, albeit security has no where near the powers and authorities of LEO's...who cares we do strive for the same goals or we should...so yea I'd wear band to show my repect for a fallen LEO.
    James,

    Last year when Panama City Beach PD SGT Kevin Kight was killed during a traffic stop, many SOs in the area wore mourning bands. I had met him and worked with him many times and considered him a fine officer. I attended the ceremony in uniform and with a band on my badge. Not a single LEO there questioned that.

    Comment


    • #32
      I wore a band a while back when a PD Motor Officer was killed... noone questioned me about...
      "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

      Comment


      • #33
        Tell him to take a hike unless he can show you some authority that says you have to remove the band. Otherwise, his opinion plus $2.25 will buy him a 12-oz mocha from just about any espresso stand.

        I'd look at him and state " Freedom of expression protected under the first admendment right " blow me buddy. Then I'd hand him my civil trial lawyers business card and grin :O)

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Marchetti, David, M
          Tell him to take a hike unless he can show you some authority that says you have to remove the band. Otherwise, his opinion plus $2.25 will buy him a 12-oz mocha from just about any espresso stand.

          I'd look at him and state " Freedom of expression protected under the first admendment right " blow me buddy. Then I'd hand him my civil trial lawyers business card and grin :O)
          Always a diplomat, right David? Go for the jugular vein! Just because you are right doesn't mean that you need to make enemies. How about trying to reason with someone? "A mild answer turns away rage; but a painful word is causing anger to flare up." (Proverbs)
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Mr. Security
            Always a diplomat, right David? Go for the jugular vein! Just because you are right doesn't mean that you need to make enemies. How about trying to reason with someone? "A mild answer turns away rage; but a painful word is causing anger to flare up." (Proverbs)
            Damn, Davey really said that? I should un-ignore him.

            Naw.

            It WOULD be kind of amusing to say that...I may even get unemployment benefits afterwards.

            GSA contracts don't leave a lot of room for individual expression.

            Comment


            • #36
              I have worn mourning babnds on many occasions. It shows the police we support them. Being a full timwe firefighter i also wear it when a firefighter in the area falls. It is nort a wanna be but a sign of respect.
              Robert
              Here endith the lesson

              Comment


              • #37
                This is an area of interest.. Being the director, and a Veteran of Foriegn wars, I would never ask an officer to remove such item, even if it meant removing me. I have my limits.

                Personally, I too would wear one, for any of my officers or corporate officers. As for LEO, if in my area, and especially if we worked with that LEO, An absolute yes as well...

                My question is this.. Lets say, an LEO is killed in the line of duty.. You know this LEO, and so do some of your officers.. Now, I would permit paid time off for the funeral visitation, and would encourage it (to further bond the unified duties shared).. But Proper Dress attire?

                I thought about our unforms, pressed and dressed with gear shining for our presence at the LEO's funeral.. Is this appropriate, or overboard?

                I am speaking of an LEO that we may have worked with at one time... If it were any of my officers, then absolutely yes, and even I would wear uniform attire.

                Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?
                Deputy Sheriff

                Comment


                • #38
                  Hey

                  Originally posted by Mall Director
                  This is an area of interest.. Being the director, and a Veteran of Foriegn wars, I would never ask an officer to remove such item, even if it meant removing me. I have my limits.

                  Personally, I too would wear one, for any of my officers or corporate officers. As for LEO, if in my area, and especially if we worked with that LEO, An absolute yes as well...

                  My question is this.. Lets say, an LEO is killed in the line of duty.. You know this LEO, and so do some of your officers.. Now, I would permit paid time off for the funeral visitation, and would encourage it (to further bond the unified duties shared).. But Proper Dress attire?

                  I thought about our unforms, pressed and dressed with gear shining for our presence at the LEO's funeral.. Is this appropriate, or overboard?

                  I am speaking of an LEO that we may have worked with at one time... If it were any of my officers, then absolutely yes, and even I would wear uniform attire.

                  Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?
                  To me it would seem respectful and I would see no problem with it at all. But some may try to say something like "wannabe cop" or some other useless comment. To me, if I were a LEO that had been killed in the line of duty had the chance to look down upon my funeral, or pray not be looking up at my funeral, I'd be honored by the sentiment...but but that's just my opinion.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    You'd need to coordinate with the LE agency Chaplain's office. In many cases, there is a private LE-only viewing before the stuff starts, and your uniformed detail would look very out of place nowhere near the other uniforms.

                    For someone dying in your company, does your company have a Line of Duty Death policy regarding funerals and other arrangements? Most companies are very "hands-off" with that, fearing liability and "showing signs of remorse" which a civil trial lawyer could use to "win big bucks!" for the family.

                    Others, like many law enforcement agencies (remember, they're usually 8-10 guys and a few cruisers, not 40,000 strong), haven't thought about this yet. And when it happens, they get a crash course in how to have an honor detail and a funeral, especially when the LODD's family requests the police funeral.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

                    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Fascinating! Good tip on the Chaplians Liazon Dept.. I will check into that one.. I really wouldnt want to have to do last minute hustling!

                      As for our department, well, our corporation has a few items they cover, such as the insurance aspect, and flowers.. But thats about it. I, on the other hand, would revert back to my military experience for this area. I have done enough funeral details that its second nature!

                      THis whole topic had me thinking, and I touched base on it prior to reading all of this, once..

                      I am a bit of a realist, and understanding that one job security is crime, and with crime comes violence. We work very closely with our PD reps, and their department knows and has experienced, that we do run support for them when they need it. We have a really great working relationship that I highly value. We call them for assistance, and they do the same. Whether its a big natured item, or small, we work pretty close together.

                      Its been nice in the fact we have broken the image of tradional security stereotypes, and have gained a large amount of respect, and in return respect was given from the start without asking. This is to be said as well when it comes to funeral issues.

                      So, another question.. What is the typical duration of the Mourning band for inner department? And the duration for close outer department? Say a close PD LEO was kille din the line of duty, what would the respectable amount of time wearing the band be? This goes for a fellow officer as well?

                      I can guarentee nothing under a week!
                      Deputy Sheriff

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Mall Director
                        So, another question.. What is the typical duration of the Mourning band for inner department? And the duration for close outer department? Say a close PD LEO was kille din the line of duty, what would the respectable amount of time wearing the band be? This goes for a fellow officer as well?

                        I can guarentee nothing under a week!
                        From the ODMP...

                        -Within your agency ~ from the time of death until midnight on the 14th day after the death

                        -Within your region ~ from the time of death until midnight on the day of the funeral

                        -Funeral attendee ~ out-of-region officers while attending funeral

                        -National Peace Officers Memorial Day (May 15th) ~ from 0001 hours until 2359 hours

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I should note that November 8th has been thrown out there as "Security Guard Memorial Day" by Jim Robinson. Several others, from what I can see, has echoed this.

                          The tradition calls for wearing a purple ribbon, according to Jim's site. I see no reason why one could not wear a mourning band instead.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

                          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I posted that I would not wear one on my badge for fear of being looked at as a want-to-be. But when Sgt. Det Tesier of the Laval Quebec Police was shot & killed last week I dug out my Laval Police lapel pin ( I collect them) & put a tiny piece of black tape across it. I will wear it on my lapel until his funerial at the end of the week.
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Badge Mourning Bands

                              I wear my mourning band for any LEO or SEO that has fallen in my state.
                              As well as 9/11 12/7 and
                              Memorial Day. i wear it out of honor and respect if any tell me take it off I'll simple say try and take off see what happens!
                              CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594


                              oh ya

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                We wore them at the hospital I work at when the St. Louis PD officer got killed recently. We work very closely with the PD and we are usually the hospital they are brought to when something happens.

                                It was a zoo that night. Over 200 officers, family, and friends outside of the ER. All the news stations, the mayor, and the chief were there.
                                "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

                                Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

                                Originally posted by Black Caesar
                                some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X