No announcement yet.

Badge Mourning Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently wearing one right now for the Allied-Barton officer who was killed in Florida earlier this month. My boss instructed all officers to wear a black band (many officers have used electrcal tape) I think we are going to wear them for a month, or maybe it is a week after the funeral. I don't know.

About a year ago we had an officer who had worked at our site for almost 10 years, and been with the company for 15+ years. He died suddenly during his vacation in december. Many of us wore mourning bands then until a few days after the funeral. Management had no problem with it.

Jon
    The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

I have worn the black band more times than I care to think about. Most of these were before I retired from the FD. I wore them for PD, FD, and EMS.

Except for 9-11 I do not werar it for someone in a differant state.
      If I did I would be wearing it just about every day because that is how often a Firefighter, LEO, EMS, or Security is killed in the Line of Duty or dies from injuries related.

I don't mean to take away from it being worn but unless you set limits it becomes superficial.

As far as some one thinking "wanna be" I say "Wanna be my @ss."

Comment

Originally posted by EMTjon
        (many officers have used electrcal tape)
        I dont see a problem with this. Ive done it before because not all of us have the little bands. I think its the idea and thought of loss, not the physical accessory that counts.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Same on the electrical tape. Our company did not issue mourning bands, and by the time they could of got some, the officer would of been in the ground, so we couldn't wear them.

ODMP has a page which covers the general rules for Non-LODD and LODD wearing.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
            I think failing to remove an unauthorized uniform device when instructed to do so by an appointed agent of the client could be determined to be a "valid reason" to remove someone from a post.
            Well, that's what makes horse races, isn't it? I'd say that anyone causing a post to be vacated for a reason like a mourning band would be sitting across from me as the commander, and tout suite. Unauthorized weapon, that's different. Mourning band? Hardly. The conversation between myself and that officer would explore the topic of judgement, just for starters.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
              Well, that's what makes horse races, isn't it? I'd say that anyone causing a post to be vacated for a reason like a mourning band would be sitting across from me as the commander, and tout suite. Unauthorized weapon, that's different. Mourning band? Hardly. The conversation between myself and that officer would explore the topic of judgement, just for starters.
              Here's the problem, its not about their choice to wear a mourning band. It's not like the officer say's "Hey, what the hell is that? Turn in your badge and gun." We're talking about a guard refusing to do something he is instructed to do by a higher power. If he is unwilling to do something as simple as pull a fabric or tape off his badge, how do you know he wont refuse to keep a good log, or will follow any other directions? If I was the commander and I found an officer vacated a post over a mourning band, then yes, I could see being upset. But if an officer removed a guard for insubordination, I wouldn't think another thing of it.

Some of these sites may have a very strict uniform code, and if you arent allowed to wear something, you arent allowed to wear something, if that upsets you, find a new job.

I used to work a site where I wore a hat that said "SECURITY OFFICER" on it. They didnt like it so it had to go. Its not like it was a weapon, or a pink t-shirt, it was simple and conservative and went along with the rest of my uniform, but it was deemed unauthorized so it had to go. They didn't fire me over wearing it, but I bet they would have if I had decided to make a stink about it and not take it off.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
                ....... I'm gonna wind up driving around in a day-glo orange Pinto......
                Make it a GMC PACER.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Here's the problem, its not about their choice to wear a mourning band. It's not like the officer say's "Hey, what the hell is that? Turn in your badge and gun." We're talking about a guard refusing to do something he is instructed to do by a higher power. If he is unwilling to do something as simple as pull a fabric or tape off his badge, how do you know he wont refuse to keep a good log, or will follow any other directions? If I was the commander and I found an officer vacated a post over a mourning band, then yes, I could see being upset. But if an officer removed a guard for insubordination, I wouldn't think another thing of it.

Some of these sites may have a very strict uniform code, and if you arent allowed to wear something, you arent allowed to wear something, if that upsets you, find a new job.

I used to work a site where I wore a hat that said "SECURITY OFFICER" on it. They didnt like it so it had to go. Its not like it was a weapon, or a pink t-shirt, it was simple and conservative and went along with the rest of my uniform, but it was deemed unauthorized so it had to go. They didn't fire me over wearing it, but I bet they would have if I had decided to make a stink about it and not take it off.
                  I disagree. Too many companies "strain out the nat and gulp down the camel" when it comes to silly issues like this. In other words, a guard who always takes pride in his/her uniform decides to add a small pin or band and is called on it by stupervisors who look the other way when guards show up for work with wrinkled/stained uniforms, poor grooming and the like. Those kinds of companies aren't worthy of good officers and deserve it when they say: "See ya!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    I disagree. Too many companies "strain out the nat and gulp down the camel" when it comes to silly issues like this. In other words, a guard who always takes pride in his/her uniform decides to add a small pin or band and is called on it by stupervisors who look the other way when guards show up for work with wrinkled/stained uniforms, poor grooming and the like. Those kinds of companies aren't worthy of good officers and deserve it when they say: "See ya!"
                    You're making a point that I dont see any relation to my point. What I am saying is if it is not assigned to your uniform, and they tell you not to wear it, dont wear it. When I worked the state capitol, we were authorized to wear 2 pins, either the State Seal or a capitol building pin. One guy wore a USMC pin, a few people wore a WA. National Guard pin they got when the NG came to visit, I wore a small tie tac I got from LVMPD, someone wore a WA State Educator pin, etc... most of them were either related to the job, or to us, or the state or whatnot, or they meant something to us like a mourning band would, they were all small and unnoticable, when we were told to pull them off, we did so, because it was the rule of the job. It didnt matter how you wore the uniform, sloppy or pressed, you had to adhere to the same standard as everybody else, and that standard was the post orders.
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

You're making a point that I dont see any relation to my point. What I am saying is if it is not assigned to your uniform, and they tell you not to wear it, dont wear it. When I worked the state capitol, we were authorized to wear 2 pins, either the State Seal or a capitol building pin. One guy wore a USMC pin, a few people wore a WA. National Guard pin they got when the NG came to visit, I wore a small tie tac I got from LVMPD, someone wore a WA State Educator pin, etc... most of them were either related to the job, or to us, or the state or whatnot, or they meant something to us like a mourning band would, they were all small and unnoticable, when we were told to pull them off, we did so, because it was the rule of the job. It didnt matter how you wore the uniform, sloppy or pressed, you had to adhere to the same standard as everybody else, and that standard was the post orders.
                      Let me put it this way then: Who cares. Wearing a pin shouldn't be a big deal, rules or no rules. I don't work for companies that micro-manage uniform appearance right down to a simple harmless pin.

Comment

For that particular site, pins meant a lot. All the lobbyists and senators, and other legislators wore pins in support of things. If you wore a State Educators pin, it could be misperceived that you are trying to support a bill, and lets say you happen to have to conduct a secondary screening on a lobbyist who is fighting against that bill, it could make you look like you're being an ass because of politics.
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Have to agree with Lawson on this, pins and identifiers mean a lot. They're designed to send a message, affiliation or support. When you wear a FOP pin on your uniform, it usually means, "I am am brother/sister of the Fraternal Order of Police." If the FOP (a lobbyist group) is doing something that a senator doesn't like... Bad news.

This is dealing with possibilities. What if your officer starts wearing a NORML pin?
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I know organizations like to tackle sticky issues by implementing no-tolerance policies. It's their way of not dealing with issues on a case-by-case basis that could, that might, that possibly (you get the idea) be mishandled, resulting in some kind of grief to the organization.

As an example, consider the stupid arrests/suspensions of children who inadvertently brought a butter knife or aspirin to school. Oh my goodness...they violated a no-tolerance policy regarding weapons or drugs!!

I wear an FTO pin on my uniform because that's one of my responsibilities. Is it issued by the company? No. Is it a policy violation? Technically, yes. Does my supervisor give me grief over it? Thankfully, no. Why? Because he uses common sense when enforcing policy, something that more of us need to do.

Comment

bands...

Durning a 9-11 memorial event in 2002 i was actually handed a mourning band by a police officer who told me to cover up my badge and show some respect, i told him i was sorry that i did not have a band, and would "dress" my badge with the band had gave me.....
                              Its not how we die that counts.....
                              Its not how we lived that counts....
                              all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Well

I think it shouldn't matter if you wear a band. I respect LEO's and the work they do. Same with s/o's...well some of them anyway. It is respect for a fallen commrade, not matter if you are an s/o and they are LEO, doesn't matter...both positions share the roots in the past, albeit security has no where near the powers and authorities of LEO's...who cares we do strive for the same goals or we should...so yea I'd wear band to show my repect for a fallen LEO.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X