Injured While On Duty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured While On Duty?

Has anybody here been injured while on duty?

How serious was your injury?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

On New Years Eve 1999 the city was crazy. We were worried about overcrowding in the rooms so we decided to inforce the rule that only registered guests could go up to the guest rooms. This did not sit well with the young men who "got lucky" at the bars & tried to bring their prize back to the hotel with them. I physically blocked one couple from getting into an elevator. We struggled & I was tripped. I fell onto the marble floor & banged up my knee. It took a year to heal.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Blew a knee out getting out of a patrol car once. Its healed, but once in a great while my knee stops working.

I've had it go out a few times on duty, usually I would just endure it and keep going, at the times it went out - stopping was not an option.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

At my last job, I was going into the park to retrieve an abandoned keg. While trying to open the gate, the lock dropped back down and landed on my finger. The dr. said I had a compound fracture. Now I have a huge scar and I'm missing the top of the bone.

Comment

Just a couple of months ago, I had a jerk decide to haul off and smack me in the face when I tried to keep him out of the construction site. While trying to take him into custody, he decided to fight (big surprise). I took him to the ground, and we rolled around for a minute. I ended up with scrapes and scratches all over my arms and knees, and one good cut on my elbow. Nothing serious, though. And I did get him hooked, and the cops were happy to give him a room for the night...

Nothing very serious yet. Thankfully.

Comment

I'd been working as a warm-body officer for about 3 months. It was the middle of winter, and we'd just had a fresh dusting of snow.

I went to walk across the fuel tank room (open air but enclosed sides) to investigate a glow I'd not seen before. as I walked acros I saw some ice and stayed away. I found the glow to be a clear/green indicator light that I'd never noticed before. As I was walking back to the door, I hit a patch of ice covered with fresh snow, and went down... landed right on my butt and then fell backward. I was OK, just shaken up. What made it worse was that my supervisor had me on camera, because he'd gotten the door contact alarm for the fuel room door, and wanted to see where I was going. As soon as I tried to get up... he called on the radio and asked if I was OK.... Talk about embarrasing.

Of course ALL of our officers had to watch me fall, in slow motion, on our DVR system over the next 2 weeks.
            The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

I fell once, fresh mud on a mobile home construction site. I fell right on my back, but thankfully the 4 pairs of handcuffs I wore (don't ask, between 2 deputies and me we still ran out of handcuffs at times) centered on my pants pockets kept my spine from being injured. I keyed up, flat on my back, and reported that I had fallen. Supervisor is like, "You want EMS?" And I'm like, "I'll let you know in a minute, I'm working on my getting up."

Thankfully, I was fine. Some of the older guys noted that if I had kept 1 cuff in my back instead of carried enough equipment to qualify for Batman status, I probably would of had a fractured spine and would not be getting up.

Strangely, some of the older guys, even telling me this, kept 1 cuff at the small of the back. Why? Because that's how they'd spend 15-20 years at NYPD or wherever they came from.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                Thankfully, I was fine. Some of the older guys noted that if I had kept 1 cuff in my back instead of carried enough equipment to qualify for Batman status, I probably would of had a fractured spine and would not be getting up.
                I know a gentleman here in Reno that had that happen....

He now walks very slowly, shuffling his feet just the tiniest little bit, and every move brings him severe pain.....

It's sad to watch.

Comment

I'd rather be Batman than have a fractured spine. Only thing I even consider placing near my spine are those Bianchi Accumold pager cases, with gloves and CPR mask in them. Those won't crack your back.

Comment

Minor

Tore some tendons in my ankle while running up a steep embankment to respond to a fire alarm. Didn't feel anything until the adrenalin wore off. Limped/shuffled my feet for a few weeks. Fortunately, it completely healed.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Luckily just a sprained ankle thus far
                      "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Lets see if I can remember them all......

Had my big toe broke on my foot when a armored car I was attempting to stop ran over my foot, unfortainatly my partner was ran over by the same armored car.

I was T-boned while blocking off a alley with my squad by a suspect trying to escape a persuit. It was estimated he hit me going over 50 mph. Broke my hip, pelvis in 2 places and recieved 22 stiches above my left eye.

Fractured my lower back after walking over and falling thru a crapy piece of 1/4" plywood that covered a 4' X 7' hole in the floor on a construction site. I fell 15 feet to the concrete floor below

I've been sucker punched several times by suspects who I was detaining/questioning. Recieved several stitches and broke a few teeth.

Recieved a broken arm when I block a bat being swung at me. My partner ended up shooting the dirtbag.

....And a lot of scrapes & bruses over the years.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

I turned in a report once and got a wicked paper cut
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Minor bruising and chest pain from a traffic accident, in the company car while returning to the office. Broadsided while I had the green light. The other driver was charged with going through the red.

My Duty Office insisted I attend the Emergency Room to confirm only minor injuries.
                            Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                              Minor bruising and chest pain from a traffic accident, in the company car while returning to the office. Broadsided while I had the green light. The other driver was charged with going through the red.

My Duty Office insisted I attend the Emergency Room to confirm only minor injuries.
                              Always a wise idea, even if not on duty when an accident occurs. People have walked away from accidents thinking they were OK and dropped dead shortly thereafter. Moreover, having injuries documented can help legally later on.
                              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X