Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California security guard

Very sad:

Witness/cousin said the armed guard also had pepperspray and was on the job at a liquor store for 12 years:

http://ktla.com/2013/04/12/armed-sec...#axzz2QFbmI52g

Too easy to "sucker shoot"(like sucker punch) then take someone's gun.

Which is why one of my back-burner projects is to develop a holster with a "trick" retention gadget that would be more or less hidden and look like a standard common brand name holster, but would have an extra retention feature that wouldn't slow down a gun draw much after bit of practice, and might be figured out in a minute if you had the holstered gun in front of you on a nice lighted workbench.....

but would be enough so someone trying to grab your gun after a 'sucker assault' would be slowed down and baffled enough to either flee or get caught. It would also be enough to allow you to use your gun-hand in a fight instead of using it to try to retain the gun.

PS-This is why I keep saying a guard in any sort of risky post should have "always on" video running and Real Time uploading to wi-fi secure server. I believe what keeps cops safe is their practice of ALWAYS calling in plates before they get out of car and at least get bounceback that it isn't stolen. I think an "always on" video/uploader (with some indicator light) could have similar effect.
    Last edited by Squid; 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

If someone were trying to take your firearm you might be using your weak side hand to help the strong side hand (in this case he was a lefty) to secure your firearm. It was suggested that he used pepperspray (don't know with which hand) as
      a choice for the threat. So if the guard were carrying spray in the weak hand when the attack came would that have been a good choice to ward off attacker?
      My granddaughter decided to recently live alone in Tampa. I got a little nervous for her and bought some pepper-spray. It was a type that you would lay in the palm of the hand and and operate by using the thumb. A lot of
      sprays you would hold a cannister vertically and use the index finger to operate.
      Would there be a benefit if while on patrol you had your primary hand for firearm only and the secondary for another non-lethal?
      It hard to tell what happened but a person working a post for 12 years should recognize where he/she is most vulnerable?

Comment

No one "out draws" anyone else if the person drawing first does so at least 1/2 'clean' with no hangups.

Human reflexes don't work that way. So no matter how many years on the job, or even if he "smelled a threat" the Bad-Guy (who CAN walk into the store) can draw and shoot him and wouldn't matter if the guard was baddest assed guy in the world. (Ok, MAYBE a real badass could juke enough to make a lousy shot miss...but I'd take the lousy shot w/the semi-auto pistol everytime at close range even against Olympic gymnast).

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
          No one "out draws" anyone else if the person drawing first does so at least 1/2 'clean' with no hangups.

Human reflexes don't work that way. So no matter how many years on the job, or even if he "smelled a threat" the Bad-Guy (who CAN walk into the store) can draw and shoot him and wouldn't matter if the guard was baddest assed guy in the world. (Ok, MAYBE a real badass could juke enough to make a lousy shot miss...but I'd take the lousy shot w/the semi-auto pistol everytime at close range even against Olympic gymnast).
          If you are up against a gun that is out already you odds are not good IMO...
          In this case the report say he had spray out (first).
          What I was thinking:
          Is there a benefit (looking for opinion) to having one hand for firearm and a second (possibly already holding spray
          ) as a secondary?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X