Officer injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer injured

Last Thursday, june 15th, one of our officers was injured.

He was asked to assist in removing a man from a computerroom in the refugeecentre. The man reacted very calm but didn't want to leave the room.

When the officer was near him, while speaking, the man stood up and in one click he went nuts. he kicked the officer on duty with great force between his legs and that was the end of it. The officer wasn't able to respond anymore.
    People around the incident took the man and handed him over to the local police.

The officer is now at home, on sickleave.

A hard lesson learned. Never let your attention slip for a single second, even the situation look calm!

Originally posted by boes1970
    Last Thursday, june 15th, one of our officers was injured.

He was asked to assist in removing a man from a computerroom in the refugeecentre. The man reacted very calm but didn't want to leave the room.

When the officer was near him, while speaking, the man stood up and in one click he went nuts. he kicked the officer on duty with great force between his legs and that was the end of it. The officer wasn't able to respond anymore.
    People around the incident took the man and handed him over to the local police.

A hard lesson learned. Never let your attention slip for a single second, even the situation look calm!
    When we forget we have committed the fourth and seventh deadly sins of security and law enforcement.
    I used to wear a heavy plastic cup inside an althletic supporter to preclude being taken out, it still hurt when I got kicked, but I didn't go down.
    Glad to hear he will be OK.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by boes1970
      ...When the officer was near him, while speaking, the man stood up and in one click he went nuts. he kicked the officer on duty with great force between his legs and that was the end of it. The officer wasn't able to respond anymore.

I am sorry to hear of his injury. Hope he gets well and is back to duty soon.

It is lucky that there were others around willing to involve themselves in taking control of the suspect and holding him for the police. Had the officer been totally alone, or worse amid a hostile group, he'd have been toast unfortunately.

The thought to keep in mind in any situation where you face attack is your planned action at the worse case point.

As Malone (Sean Connery) said to Ness (Kevin Costner) in the Untouchables:

Malone: You said you wanted to get Capone. Do you really wanna get him? You see what I'm saying is, what are you prepared to do?

Ness: Anything and everything in my power.

Malone: And *then* what are you prepared to do? If you open the can on these worms you must be prepared to go all the way because they're not gonna give up the fight until one of you is dead.

A bit extreme but the point to take from it is that a survival mindset is of primary importance. When hit hard "what are you prepared to do" to win.
      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X