Security guard killed as golf cart plunges into lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security guard killed as golf cart plunges into lake

ust before sunrise Sunday, two security guards patrolling Burnham Harbor in a golf cart hit a concrete wall and tumbled into Lake Michigan.

http://www.chicagoredstreak.com/outp...s-drown05.html
    When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

My condolences to the family but another reason why the public looks down on us "He was disabled, taking medication for a mental illness and limited to working 24 hours a week."
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Hate to say it, but that's what I was thinking. But, we don't know what the disability was, or what the mental condition was.

So, until he died, no one at work may of known.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
        My condolences to the family but another reason why the public looks down on us "He was disabled, taking medication for a mental illness and limited to working 24 hours a week."
        Mental illness could be something as common as depression or GAD. Police officers may be taking medication for such problems and still be working. Depending on the medication, it doesn't always disqualify one from being fit for duty.

Now, if you work as an airline pilot, then yes, you are disqualified from flying while taking any such medications.

Let's be professional enough to avoid stigmatizing those who may suffer from such disorders.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          Mental illness could be something as common as depression or GAD. Police officers may be taking medication for such problems and still be working. Depending on the medication, it doesn't always disqualify one from being fit for duty.

Now, if you work as an airline pilot, then yes, you are disqualified from flying while taking any such medications.

Let's be professional enough to avoid stigmatizing those who may suffer from such disorders.
          True, but the public will stigmatize us all enough for us.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            True, but the public will stigmatize us all enough for us.
            That was my thinking when I wrote the post.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

That is one of the worst written articles i have ever seen. I don't hold much standards for the Chicago Times though. My question is why weren't they wearing life jackets? Every port security officer here is required to be in a class IV USCG approved lifevest when they are within 100 feet of the shoreline. I think they might have been screwing around or maybe alcohol/drugs might have played a part. Its an unfortunate tragedy but I can't imagine that the harbor directors would authorize security to patrol that close to the water without life vests. That leads me to believe they might have been screwing around.

Comment

Because most companies are unaware of, or do not care, about USCG regulations. I have worked port and marina postings. They are completely different. I have worked port postings, and was required to stay behind a white "WORKERS MUST WEAR PFD BEHIND THIS LINE - USCG RULES" line. The line was 6 feet near the dock edges.

At a marina, you are not authorized to go into the water or onto a boat, so a PFD is not required. You are not a "dock worker," and your occupational hazard does not include falling in, because your job does not take you near the water's edge.

100 feet sounds like a company regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  Because most companies are unaware of, or do not care, about USCG regulations. I have worked port and marina postings. They are completely different. I have worked port postings, and was required to stay behind a white "WORKERS MUST WEAR PFD BEHIND THIS LINE - USCG RULES" line. The line was 6 feet near the dock edges.

At a marina, you are not authorized to go into the water or onto a boat, so a PFD is not required. You are not a "dock worker," and your occupational hazard does not include falling in, because your job does not take you near the water's edge.

100 feet sounds like a company regulation.

Around here we have a lot of water and its very cold even in summer. Marina security is not allowed to go in water or be on boats either. However, every marina security gurard I have seen has been in a PFD for their safety. I don't know for certain if its law or company regulation, though I believe its an L&I law. Either way, I have a hard time believing a golfcart accidentally hit a wall. I smell a lawsuit, and possibly fines impending.

Comment

When I was port security, we were mandated to wear a PFD whenever we went down on the docks alone. If we had a 2nd officer, we did not have to wear it. It was an OSHA regulation, one I can admit, I didnt always follow.
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X