Security officer shot 5 times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security officer shot 5 times.

EAST ST. LOUIS IL -- A 23-year-old security guard was shot multiple times as he tried to drive away from a group of young people who tried to rob him.

Detective Michael Floore said the shooting happened at 10:26 p.m. Thursday.

The victim said he was working security for KLM Security. His post was at Top Metal Buyers at 808 Walnut Ave., Floore said.

The guard was sitting in his personal vehicle when three to four people approached the vehicle with a gun. They told him that he might as well give it up, Floore said.

"The victim tried to put his car in gear to drive away. He was shot five times," Floore said.

There are no suspects at this point.

Detailed descriptions of the suspected shooters were not available.

KLM Security owner Kim L. McAfee said: "It's senseless. People are out working, trying to make a living. This man has a family and kids. He could be related to any one of the suspects. They don't know who is inside of a car."

He also said he notified other security companies about the shooting "so they'll be on the lookout and make sure they are doing all they can to be safe."

McAfee, who is a part-time Washington Park police officer, was grateful for the response time of the East St. Louis Police Department. "For them to be shorthanded, they sure did respond quickly," he said. The city laid off 16 police officers Jan. 1.

Anyone with any information regarding this shooting is urged to call the East St. Louis Police Department at 482-6700.

http://privateofficer.ning.com/forum...r-shot-5-times
    Ain't war hell?

Horrible

Wow,

This really pissed me off..
    Up here i canada if I managed to defend myself i would be charged.I really wish he was armed and wouldve shot those POS ..

I dare anyone to break into my home... all I can say if they do...
    esas piezas de mierda va a morir en una lluvia de fuego de cañón
    MARK MY WORDS
    Stay Safe,
    And Apperantly Im A Gear Whore

Comment

Same...I would shoot them.

I prefer to be jugded by 12 than lifted by 6.
      Ain't war hell?

Comment

May this officer have a quick recovery. Hopefully these pos will be caught.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDSEC View Post
          Wow,

Up here i canada if I managed to defend myself i would be charged.I really wish he was armed and wouldve shot those POS ..

MARK MY WORDS
          Really? Hmmm, I am no expert on Canadian law, but I am pretty sure you have some strict gunlaws up there and I find it hard to believe that Canadian law would allow such measures for self-defense. I mean a "hail of gunfire" is not exactly a defensive action, and would even be questioned in states like mine that have "make my day" laws. Go away troll, go away. To bad you had to put this trash in their, the rest of your post was nice, but this part not needed or warranted.
          Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

Wow, that's horrible news! I hope the guy makes it to a speedy recovery. What the hell is wrong with our society! Its only getting worse. The past norm is nothing like today.
            www.theretaillife.proboards.com

Comment

Originally posted by fireranger View Post
              really? Hmmm, i am no expert on canadian law, but i am pretty sure you have some strict gunlaws up there and i find it hard to believe that canadian law would allow such measures for self-defense. I mean a "hail of gunfire" is not exactly a defensive action, and would even be questioned in states like mine that have "make my day" laws. Go away troll, go away. To bad you had to put this trash in their, the rest of your post was nice, but this part not needed or warranted.
              pm sent
              Stay Safe,

Comment

Wow,

MARK MY WORDS
                A good dose of fuego de cañón, repeated as needed until the home-invading germs have been eradicated, is precisely what Dr. SecTrainer prescribes for this sort of disease, FedSec! It's a permanent miracle cure.
                Last edited by SecTrainer; 02-07-2011, 12:37 PM.
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                  A good dose of fuego de cañón, repeated as needed until the home-invading germs have been eradicated, is precisely what Dr. SecTrainer prescribes for this sort of disease, FedSec! It's a permanent miracle cure.
                  Thanks for the comment...

I am tired of hearing about others taking others rights away. I work hard for my property and put lots of hours into buying things. These POS that keep breaking into propertys and stealing items is getting old.

The courts dont do jack **** anymore and if it takes a 20 cent peice of metal to end that then I am all for it.

Miracles happen every once in a while and I cheer when I hear about some POS that gets shot by a citizen or police while robbing/assualting someone.
                  Stay Safe,

Comment

I really wish he was armed and wouldve shot those POS ..
                    Probably would have ended about the same. It is a real shame that this man was shot, but this has nothing to do with equipment. They got the drop on him, period. Drawing against the drop is risky. Drawing from while seated in a car is hard. Engaging in combat while trapped in a car is tactically unsound at best. Trying to do all three at once sounds a lot like suicide to me. Besides, I read nothing in the OP to indicate that he was unarmed.
                    "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chaple View Post
                      Probably would have ended about the same. It is a real shame that this man was shot, but this has nothing to do with equipment. They got the drop on him, period. Drawing against the drop is risky. Drawing from while seated in a car is hard. Engaging in combat while trapped in a car is tactically unsound at best. Trying to do all three at once sounds a lot like suicide to me. Besides, I read nothing in the OP to indicate that he was unarmed.
                      Exactly, especially in a car the best thing to do in a situation like that is try to drive away.
                      I will always fondly remember the days of mall security, the expressions on the thankful patrons you saved from certain molestation in the mall bathrooms. The look of pain in the drooling face of the shoplifter you just choke-holded to unconsciousness

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above quote are the views of Gecko45 and do not reflect
                      the views and opinions of ONLP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chaple View Post
                        I understand your points, Mr. C. However, sometimes you just have to TRY to defend yourself whether the "odds" are in your favor or not. This guy got shot 5 times. Maybe "the odds are" that nothing he would have done would have prevented that, but that is NOT the kind of calculation that anyone should be making when they're up against it. People who are in the situation are not making book, and they're not doing after-action analysis.

The calculation - and the ONLY right one - when you're IN the situation is "I'm under deadly attack and I've got nothing to lose by doing everything and anything I can to save my life". If you can slam your car into gear, fine. If you can draw your weapon, fine. If you can crap in your hand and throw it at them, fine. I don't care. Like Nike says, "Just do it". Maybe things "turn out the same anyway", but maybe not. Maybe you only get shot 4 times instead of 5. And the only way you get to "maybe not" is by doing something to defend yourself without looking up the Vegas line to see what your odds are. Whether they're 1 in 2 or 1 in 100, you have to take them because the only alternative is 0 in 100. There's 3 seconds left on the clock, you're about to lose the game, and you've got no choice. Throw the Hail Mary or pack it in.
                        Last edited by SecTrainer; 02-07-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Youths + East St Louis = Gang members.

Guns firing at me while driving = demolition derby on attackers.
                          I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ONLP View Post
                            Exactly, especially in a car the best thing to do in a situation like that is try to drive away.
                            Originally posted by LARMGUY View Post
                            Youths + East St Louis = Gang members.

Guns firing at me while driving = demolition derby on attackers.
                            "The victim tried to put his car in gear to drive away. He was shot five times," Floore said.
                            They shot him as soon as he put it in gear

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                            I understand your points, Mr. C. However, sometimes you just have to TRY to defend yourself whether the "odds" are in your favor or not. This guy got shot 5 times. Maybe "the odds are" that nothing he would have done would have prevented that, but that is NOT the kind of calculation that anyone should be making when they're up against it. People who are in the situation are not making book, and they're not doing after-action analysis.

The calculation - and the ONLY right one - when you're IN the situation is "I'm under deadly attack and I've got nothing to lose by doing everything and anything I can to save my life". If you can slam your car into gear, fine. If you can draw your weapon, fine. If you can crap in your hand and throw it at them, fine. I don't care. Like Nike says, "Just do it". Maybe things "turn out the same anyway", but maybe not. Maybe you only get shot 4 times instead of 5. And the only way you get to "maybe not" is by doing something to defend yourself without looking up the Vegas line to see what your odds are. Whether they're 1 in 2 or 1 in 100, you have to take them because the only alternative is 0 in 100. There's 3 seconds left on the clock, you're about to lose the game, and you've got no choice. Throw the Hail Mary or pack it in.
                            The guard was sitting in his personal vehicle when three to four people approached the vehicle with a gun. They told him that he might as well give it up, Floore said.
                            He could have complied, or at least feined compliance until he was out of the car, and in a better position to defend himself.

I am just saying that this was not the result of lack of equipement. It is the result of lack of awareness.

Last edited by Mr. Chaple; 02-08-2011, 06:40 PM.
                            "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by ONLP View Post
                              Is it? I quote: "The victim tried to put his car in gear to drive away. He was shot five times," Floore said.

Originally posted by Mr. Chaple
                              I am just saying that this was not the result of lack of equipement. It is the result of lack of awareness.
                              We don't know from the details provided in the report that either of these assertions is true. We don't know what equipment he did or didn't have. And he might have seen these people approaching from 50 yards away and thought they needed directions, or that they were just some dudes walking down the street, or that he knew them, or any of a number of things. They probably didn't produce their weapons or make their intentions known until they were right up on the car, doncha imagine? What's the chance that they hollered "Here we come to shoot you!" from down the block? Maybe they didn't even see him in the car until they were right up on it, and just decided to rob him on the spur of the moment.

How many of us, on seeing someone approach (whether we're sitting in our car or not) assume that we need to take immediate defensive action?? Answer: None of us, unless there's something really odd about them. We wouldn't even be able to do our jobs if we behaved that way.

"OMG - there's some people over there. Looks like they might be headed this way. I'd better bug out!" VROOOOM.....................and while you're at it, just keep on driving to the office and turn in your gear.

Let's acknowledge that we don't have nearly enough information to judge the appropriateness of this security officer's actions. Stop it with the coulda-shoulda-woulda criticisms. It requires very detailed, careful after-action analysis by people who have access to the facts to make such determinations. And what we discover from such analysis is that some situations did not have any good options. We always assume that something "could have been different", or that there was "some point" at which a different action should have been taken, but this is NOT always true. In real life stuff happens that's the culmination of such a complex chain of events, and/or the realistic options for actions are so constrained by practical considerations or the circumstances, so that only God's ability to see into the future could have prevented or changed anything. Hindsight can lead us into all sorts of logical errors. (The book What The Dog Saw has a good discussion about this.)

...and most important of all, never assume that YOU, with whatever expertise you possess, with whatever level of awareness you can muster, and with whatever gear you carry, can't be surprised by someone just like this officer probably was, even when you're looking right at them. The span of time between your very first opportunity for "awareness" of an imminent attack and the attack itself might be a matter of mere milliseconds - the time it takes someone with their hand in their pocket to whip out a gun or a knife and use it on you. I can release the safety on my pocket gun, draw and shoot you in less than a second and I've practiced doing exactly that. Up to that split second, I'm just a perfectly normal guy with his hand in his pocket as far as you know. And what are you going to do about that, when you have no reason and no authority to tell me to show my hands? After all, I only asked for directions!

"Hi - can you tell me how to get to the freeway?"

"Yes" (you say, immediately drawing down on me), "But FIRST SHOW ME YOUR HANDS, SLIMEBALL, OR I'LL BLOW YOUR TITS OFF! I don't talk to no punks with their hands in their pockets!"

Uh-huh. I seem to see that happening...NOT!

This I guarantee you. I'll put you in that car and in that location, and it's a good bet that I'll shoot you no matter what you do, short of shooting me first from a distance or driving away, merely because I happen to be walking in your direction (it won't matter if you get out of your car or not, and I hope you do). And why are chances good that I'll succeed? Because I won't give you any logical reason to do anything until it's too late. Surprise is the bad guy's advantage, and rarely yours. If he uses it well, there's no coulda-shoulda-woulda to it.
                              Last edited by SecTrainer; 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X