Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any one wana work for the army as a civilian security officer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one wana work for the army as a civilian security officer...

here you go.. come move to utah.. and apply :P

http://www.usajobs.org/jobs/360717.htm
    When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

This is not the job people think it is. When DOD says "Security Guard," they mean "Federal Law Enforcement Officer charged with physical security concerns instead of enforcement of law."

This is also a SRT position, in a chemical depot. Good luck on that.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

No thanks.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

The physical requirements alone equal many police departments. Makes the old question " do you smell something" especially nerve racking. For the pay I think I would skip this, most DoD jobs are long on responsibility but short on actual authority and pay.
        Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Hearing all the misconceptions of the job, I feel secure in my position. No competition. And, by the way, federal law "enforcement" is part of the job. When an offiecer in this position busts someone they appear in front of a federal magisrate. Been there-got the t-shirt.

Comment

Gee let me see, it seems I have the t-shirt. Long ago and far away I did this kind of work, after voluntarily signing on the dotted line and raising my right hand, for the next 5 years, 10 months and 19 days (but who counted).

I'll pass, could give me flashbacks!
            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by mh892
              Hearing all the misconceptions of the job, I feel secure in my position. No competition. And, by the way, federal law "enforcement" is part of the job. When an offiecer in this position busts someone they appear in front of a federal magisrate. Been there-got the t-shirt.
              Not to start an argument, but I did 20 years part time for the army as a civilian officer. Pay was good but far below a comparable civilian LE position. Also the variance in "enforcement" powers from location to location is distressing. The simple fact that the majority of "police" type jobs in the Federal system aren't covered by the Federal LE retirement system due to the fact they don't recognize these positions as such should give a person cause to consider a job.
              You can be taken to a Federal Magistrate for being issued an 1805 traffic violation, most serious crimes on a federal reservation would be handled by the FBI, Military/Civilian Investigators, or another designated Federal officer. I know very well the capabilities and authority of the departments designated as "police" on federal reservations. If anyone wants to read for yourself the ongoing issues you can check the DodPolice message board. And I got the t-shirt and the free coffee mug.

Comment

Originally posted by ycaso77
                Not to start an argument, but I did 20 years part time for the army as a civilian officer. Pay was good but far below a comparable civilian LE position. Also the variance in "enforcement" powers from location to location is distressing. The simple fact that the majority of "police" type jobs in the Federal system aren't covered by the Federal LE retirement system due to the fact they don't recognize these positions as such should give a person cause to consider a job.
                You can be taken to a Federal Magistrate for being issued an 1805 traffic violation, most serious crimes on a federal reservation would be handled by the FBI, Military/Civilian Investigators, or another designated Federal officer. I know very well the capabilities and authority of the departments designated as "police" on federal reservations. If anyone wants to read for yourself the ongoing issues you can check the DodPolice message board. And I got the t-shirt and the free coffee mug.
                No, no argument. But we may disagree on a few points. It has been my experience at some installations Range Patrol Officers (Civilian Police personnel) are deputised U.S. Marshalls and the Government Contract Security Officers are Federal Protection Officers (a lot of this due to HLS requirements). I know this varies activity to activity, with some Installation Officers having only the authority of ticket writers. I don't know that there is a set job description/requirement to fit all installations. But, no, no arguement. Just an exchange of knowledge and information.

Comment

Here on Kwaj (I am actually on Roi-Namur now) we are civilian police officers with full police authority on and off duty, unlike military MP's. We are not covered by HR 218 only because we are employed by a contractor, and not actually government employees.

We investigate our own cases, most of which are misdemeanors, and most punishments are handed down by the commander (a full colonel) through the provost marshal (a major).

Serious felonies are rare here, but they do happen. So far this year we had one case of hacking into a government computer and a case of child molestation. In both those cases the suspect was arrested by KPD, KPD did the preliminary investigation, and then the case was turned over to the FBI. All the FBI did was fly down to pick up the suspects and the case paperwork; although it was the FBI and not KPD who filed the criminal charges in the Federal court in Hawaii.

We can issue both 1408's and 1506's (military traffic tickets) but we currently do not have a magistrate on Kwaj so we only issue 1408's and the commander will asses a punishment, usually a fine. 1408’s will not show up on a person’s driving record, but if we ever start to issue 1506’s again, those will.

Comment

No, no argument. But we may disagree on a few points. It has been my experience at some installations Range Patrol Officers (Civilian Police personnel) are deputised U.S. Marshalls and the Government Contract Security Officers are Federal Protection Officers (a lot of this due to HLS requirements). I know this varies activity to activity, with some Installation Officers having only the authority of ticket writers. I don't know that there is a set job description/requirement to fit all installations. But, no, no arguement. Just an exchange of knowledge and information.
                    My main point of contention is the Federal government and its hodgepodge of regulations and authority. Just as you say in one place police powers, modified in another and none whatsoever in the third. With enforcement duties at the whim of an installations commander, calling an individual a police officer but sending him out with no authority and no recognition of the fact is an extreme slap at those officers. I won't even get into jurisdiction outside the fence. My main point is its an extremely frustrating job for the most part, without the benefit of the pay and benefits a like civilian job would provide.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
                      Here on Kwaj (I am actually on Roi-Namur now) we are civilian police officers with full police authority on and off duty, unlike military MP's. We are not covered by HR 218 only because we are employed by a contractor, and not actually government employees.

We investigate our own cases, most of which are misdemeanors, and most punishments are handed down by the commander (a full colonel) through the provost marshal (a major).

Serious felonies are rare here, but they do happen. So far this year we had one case of hacking into a government computer and a case of child molestation. In both those cases the suspect was arrested by KPD, KPD did the preliminary investigation, and then the case was turned over to the FBI. All the FBI did was fly down to pick up the suspects and the case paperwork; although it was the FBI and not KPD who filed the criminal charges in the Federal court in Hawaii.

We can issue both 1408's and 1506's (military traffic tickets) but we currently do not have a magistrate on Kwaj so we only issue 1408's and the commander will asses a punishment, usually a fine. 1408’s will not show up on a person’s driving record, but if we ever start to issue 1506’s again, those will.
                      Except for the contractor status it parallels most DoD installations that have a civilian police force. Final judicial authority lay with the commander for most
                      enforcement actions taken. As an aside, HR218 also catches many civilian employees classified as police by the agency employing them in its web. If you're not covered by the Federal LEO retirement act, like it as not HR218 doesn't apply to you. The feds use the "statutory authority" clause to deny carry to hundreds of officers in the police series. If they were to allow carry under 218, they would be admitting they were Federal LE officers and thus qualified for LE retirement, a big chunk of change. Yes its stupid but thats the "guvmint". A majority of the police in the federal service either peform under the authority of a base commander, or have limited authproity under some special US Code for thier agency. No "statutory" authority, not recognized as an LEO by the same government that calls them police and no carry or LEO benefits. Great system isn't it? Still, its good experience for you and hope you're having a great time there- just don't get island happy!

Comment

Gee. THat sounds like Customs agents. They carry guns. They have arrest powers (Not under 17 USC.) They just aren't classified as police by GAO.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

My main point of contention is the Federal government and its hodgepodge of regulations and authority. Just as you say in one place police powers, modified in another and none whatsoever in the third. With enforcement duties at the whim of an installations commander, calling an individual a police officer but sending him out with no authority and no recognition of the fact is an extreme slap at those officers. I won't even get into jurisdiction outside the fence. My main point is its an extremely frustrating job for the most part, without the benefit of the pay and benefits a like civilian job would provide.
                          Damn good point, 77. Could not agree with you more.

Comment

Damn good point, 77. Could not agree with you more.
                            Its a totally unfair and illogical way to treat the guys and gals who perform that job. But I'm sure we're all used to the hive mentality of management, government or civilian.

Comment

Still, its good experience for you and hope you're having a great time there- just don't get island happy!
                              Yeah, it's not a bad job. I am saving a bunch of money and it's really nice to watch the sun set over a tropical beach with a beer in hand at the end of the day. Kind of reminds me of a Jimmy Buffett song.

Even though there is not nearly as much to do on Roi as there is on Kwaj, there are some benefits. Being so far from the flagpole, so to speak, us Roi Rats have a lot more freedom and discretion than our comrades on Kwaj. Everybody knows everybody else on Roi, so the community is lot tighter. One person will host a BBQ and everybody on the island will show up. The people on Kwaj tend to gather in cliques i.e. the firefighters have their own gatherings, the cops have their own, mission ops throw their own parties, etc. and people from other departments are not welcome.

I enjoy the job overall but I am counting the days until my first morale break to Hawaii!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X