Having A Hard Time Finding Good Candidates For Security Guard Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having A Hard Time Finding Good Candidates For Security Guard Position

I have PT Guard positions available with my company in NYC, but unfortunately the HR dept can't seem to find any good candidates. Is there a site that allows me to search for resumes without having to pay for the services?

Thanks.

Not unless someone decides to start one... (Yes, I could, but I'd need a method of paying for it somehow...)

After that hurdle, how do you get people to go to it? To post resumes? How do you get employers to search resumes there?

There's a reason Monster costs hundreds of dollars per search. People go there.

If any companies are interested in the idea of creating specific or mutual aid resume building projects, let me know. If there's enough interest, I'll prepare a plan and discuss it with folks.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Ms. Enforcer
      I have PT Guard positions available with my company in NYC, but unfortunately the HR dept can't seem to find any good candidates. Is there a site that allows me to search for resumes without having to pay for the services?

Thanks.
      You could try Americas Job Bank, each state has a seperate listing and you could search resumes there. Also good candidates are usually looking for acceptable wages/benefits- especially in the city.
      Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by ycaso77
        You could try Americas Job Bank, each state has a seperate listing and you could search resumes there. Also good candidates are usually looking for acceptable wages/benefits- especially in the city.
        Does America's Job Bank allow employers to search for free? I know its run by DOL, but I swear everyone and their bother is making their money off the employer, including the state job service centers.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I have the same problem hiring pt in Montreal. I've used the government employment services but they send me these kids that have paid money to take these "security courses". They come with stacks of certificates on everything from handcuffing & use of the PR-24 to bomb disposal (Just kidding about the last one!). But with 0 pratical experience. Hotel security is very people oriented. You have to enforce rules but still remember that the guests are paying your salary. I find most of the kids that take these courses are the classic want-a-bes.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Try the UK

Hello,
            Have you tried advertising across the pond ? I know for a fact there are many police officers in London ( Myself included ) who would love to emmigrate and be employed within the security industry in the US, but unfortunately the US Immigration system is not very kind to us Brits !! perhaps you could consider sponsering an applicaion from UK Officers ??

Comment

Originally posted by ycaso77

Thanks a lot ycaso, I'm going to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by mavis
                Hello,
                Have you tried advertising across the pond ? I know for a fact there are many police officers in London ( Myself included ) who would love to emmigrate and be employed within the security industry in the US, but unfortunately the US Immigration system is not very kind to us Brits !! perhaps you could consider sponsering an applicaion from UK Officers ??
                There's a large investment in that, though. If the canidate doesn't work out, they're cut loose, and deported.

Comment

Thanks.
                  Wherever you end up advertising the job(s), I'd suggest mentioning that extensive experience is needed, if it's armed/unarmed, and even mention the pay if it's above average for the area. There's alot of good security people out there, working for companies that just don't appreciate thier skills. If you show them that they will be appreciated, they will flock to you.

I work part time for an agency that has fitness requirements, even though the client does not mandate it. In my opinion, this helps screen out the less- professional. All of the employees for this contract have at least two years in the industry, and we are all firearm, baton, handcuff, OC, etc trained. All of this is listed in the job ads, so (most of the time) only the serious apply.

Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

........without having to pay for the services? Thanks.
                    You will get what you pay for and that includes the people that you hire.

Try offering better pay and conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuard
                      You will get what you pay for and that includes the people that you hire.

Try offering better pay and conditions.
                      I think she was referring to the fact that Monster.com wants 750-1500 per job ad.

Comment

Another free way to find good people is via various online groups. One of the groups that I'm quite impressed with is a Security group via yahoo.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...Security_Jobs/

There's alot of good quality people there, in my view.

Comment

When I have openings that I need to fill, one of the first places I go is my staff. Ask your guards if they know anyone that might be interested. Most of them will have worked for other companies and know others in the industry. Heck, most of my PT officers are State Marshals in CT. They each look out for each other and they won't bring a bad employee because it will reflect poorly on them selves. I started by hiering one.... now I have 8.We also offer an incentive. If you recommend someone, and they are PT, after 6 months you get a $25.00 bonus. For full time, $50.00. Does it work every time? No. But even if it only works occasionally, it is still cheaper than running adds.

My .02 and worth what you paid for it.
                          www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541
                            When I have openings that I need to fill, one of the first places I go is my staff. Ask your guards if they know anyone that might be interested. Most of them will have worked for other companies and know others in the industry. Heck, most of my PT officers are State Marshals in CT. They each look out for each other and they won't bring a bad employee because it will reflect poorly on them selves. I started by hiering one.... now I have 8.We also offer an incentive. If you recommend someone, and they are PT, after 6 months you get a $25.00 bonus. For full time, $50.00. Does it work every time? No. But even if it only works occasionally, it is still cheaper than running adds.

My .02 and worth what you paid for it.
                            Good advice indeed.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Ten32
                              Another free way to find good people is via various online groups. One of the groups that I'm quite impressed with is a Security group via yahoo.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...Security_Jobs/

There's alot of good quality people there, in my view.
                              That group's been more for Executive Protection folks, I've found. (I'm also on it.) Most of the folks are SpecWar, EP, or LEOs looking for contract work out of CONUS, or the hurricane gig.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X