• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Security Patrol - Milton WA

Anyone heard of these guys?

www.asiwashington.com

I dropped a resume with them.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

They have a stupid out of the box type website.
    Washington DC

Comment

Yeah, the website was kind of a turn off, but State Patrol is taking longer than expected for my hiring process (waiting for them to finish the background so I can do the psych and medical and be done) so Im looking to get on somewhere for the meantime.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Lawson:

No. Never heard of 'em. BTW, for the meantime, should you be interested: https://www.bates.ctc.edu/jobs/browsejobs.aspx?type=2
        --K.
        Last edited by SpecialAgentKC; 04-17-2008, 10:32 PM.
        Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

Thanks for looking out, that position would be perfect. Just applied.
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

'Salright. While you're at it:

http://www.cityoflakewood.us/employm...oses-8-21.html

and

http://www2.tacoma.k12.wa.us/edrmonl...pName=Security Patrol Officer&pLoc=Building and Grounds Security&bFile=EmplBnfts.pdf

Good luck. --K.

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Comment

I got hired on by ASP, first shift is tonight, we'll see how things go.
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson View Post
                I got hired on by ASP, first shift is tonight, we'll see how things go.
                So, what's the verdict?!? --K.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialAgentKC View Post
                  So, what's the verdict?!? --K.
                  Its been a decent gig so far. I'll go more into depth later on.
                  "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Still no update?

Hey Lawson, still no update on the new job. If they are good I am looking for a part time gig on the side right now. Are they looking for people?

Comment

Ooops......

Didn't mean to skirt the details...

Basically it's generally a good security company from what I've seen in my little time there. There are things I do and don't like.

Pros:

For one, we work primarily apartment complexes, which I enjoy for the most part. We also have a small municipal airport and a county drunk tank.

It's up to you whether you want to be armed or not. Every site we have is an "officer's choice." So we don't currently have any sites that say "no armed officers" or "no unarmed."

Free uniforms. We get sent to Blumenthals to be outfitted for a pair of pants, a shirt, and a ball-cap. Duty equipment is up to you.

Patrol cars, we currently have a 2003 Chevy Impala and a 2000 Dodge Durango, theres also a new Dodge Magnum that is supposedly being transferred from the owner's to the company's insurance. From what I hear, we're supposed to be getting a new Durango and the owner wants to get 3 marked chargers (everything as of now is unmarked).

Patrol routes. I'm not a big fan of on-site work. Most of our stuff is actually on patrol routes, which I enjoy much more-so.

K-9s. Though they aren't on the road quite yet (they are young) the owner has purchased two german shepards. I think one is being trained for tracking while the other is being trained for bomb or narcotic detection.

Decent pay. The pay generally starts at $10.00/hr. It's not super-awesome-terrific, but it holds me down.

Decent admin. Our supervisors and boss are generally willing to work with you. If you have a scheduling issue, or need a night off or have complaints, they are usually quick to try to help you and allieviate the problems. With our national gas prices through the roof, the boss has from time to time put a little fuel in our tanks and deducted it from our upcoming check when we are hurting for money and need the fuel. So things are nice in this area.

Upcoming company. I forsee this company as up and coming as a big name in the industry locally. The boss is continually looking into bigger and better contracts and continually trying to get us cooler stuff.

Cons:

Primarily what I do not like is vehicle usage. I realize this is a common thing amongst a lot of us here, but still... We have a patrol district that most of the sites are close together, but are still at such a distance you need vehicular transport to do them. You end up putting about 20-30 miles on your car with 0 fuel reimbursement. This also puts your car up for damage as we dont work in the nicest of neighborhoods.

High-Crime, low equip. Currently I am unarmed awaiting my armed certificate to go through. Till then, I still find myself working sites where we get shots fired calls at least once a week. I find myself solo breaking up parties of 20-30 people, and have damn near been ambushed by gang members. This all the while, we have armed officers working "safer" districts where assaults, shots fireds, and other violent calls are practically unheard of. Even though I am TASER certified, I find myself going out TASERless because the city I certified through is dragging their feet on sending me a copy of my cert. In WA it is not required to be certified to carry a TASER as an S/O.

Last minute scheduling. Though this problem is just about squashed, we generally find out what our schedule is going to be week by week. There have been times I have been up, in uniform, in my car, on my way to work when I have gotten a call saying, "hey, just to let you know, you're off tonight." Like I said, I think this problem has been pretty much squashed as we get our schedules 2 weeks in advance, but it still lingers.

Daily shift briefings. This I put in the con area, but its somewhat of a pro. I like the idea of having shift briefings. We are able to go over what happened where and what we need to put extra support onto; however.... what I dont like is the fact that sometimes I have to drive 20 miles to the office for the briefing when I live 2 miles from the area I'm patrolling that night. It's okay if I know I will be picking up a patrol car and going from there, but to drive 20 miles to the office, 20 miles back to my patrol route, then 20 miles back to drop off my equipment and reports, then 20 miles back home... it becomes a little killer on the car.

----

My overall assessment. It's a young and growing company. My cons for the most part are "growing pains" I believe. Things are consistently getting better, but it's not the complete #1 greatest security company out there.
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Working dumps for $10 an hour? Almost getting ambushed by gang members for $10 an hour? I know money isn't everything, but weren't you making $15 an hour with great benefits at BHR? I don't know many people that could afford to take a 50% pay cut and lose their bennies.

What happened with Harborview Medical Center? That gig seemed to be an upgrade from BHR.

Different things motivate different people and at the end of the day if you are happy with with where you work that is all that really matters. With that being said, I would be on the lookout for a better paying gig with benefits.

Comment

Have you figured out what you're making after gas these days, to say nothing of taxes and vehicle depreciation? I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I don't quite get this or putting your eggs in one basket with the state patrol either, which is kind of a long shot. I heard that last round they had a zillion apps for every slot and everyone they hired had a minimum of 5 years full time local LE and could do the 100-yard dash in 0.42 milliseconds while playing "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" (Three Dog Night in case you're just a whippersnapper) on the kazoo. Rumor?
                          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                            Working dumps for $10 an hour? Almost getting ambushed by gang members for $10 an hour? I know money isn't everything, but weren't you making $15 an hour with great benefits at BHR? I don't know many people that could afford to take a 50% pay cut and lose their bennies.

What happened with Harborview Medical Center? That gig seemed to be an upgrade from BHR.

Different things motivate different people and at the end of the day if you are happy with with where you work that is all that really matters. With that being said, I would be on the lookout for a better paying gig with benefits.
                            He is NOT making $10 an hour. Why, you may ask?

He would be making $10 an hour if he were paid the minute he showed up for work and had no work-related expenses except for those common in most occupational fields (for example, gas costs involved in going to from a single work site, costs of washing your uniforms in a washing machine, owning a decent pair of dress shoes, etc..). However, from what he's told and from what I can guess in my experience he has the following additional expenses.

1) Duty equipment, including some expensive items such as bullet-resistent vests.
                            2) Unpaid time spend driving to the office for briefing and attending the briefing itself.
                            3) Gas costs involved in going to/from said briefing.
                            4) Gas costs involved in going from site to site.
                            5) Certification costs. Granted, some of them are agruably "career-builders" but I would be hesitent to suggest so.
                            6) Maybe more I'm not thinking of.

I would suggest that factoring in all of these items together, and spreading the costs of each item for the item's longspan (for example, for a $500 vest that lasts five years, $100 a year) I would suggest that he is in fact making $7 to $9 an hour.

I'm curious; Lawson, do you have medical benefits or sick days? I ask because from what I understand the chances of you being assaulted are very real. (isn't it sad that the security companies that are most likely to put you in harm's way are least likely to offer benefits?)

Comment

Yeah personally I am thinking that Lawson is out of his mind if this is actually what is happening. Hell, First Response pays 13 per hour to start, very little danger at all and you even get to drive one of their cars. The job at the hotel in seattle that was posted on here a few weeks ago pays 12.75 and is mainly customer service. Seems like you are kind of getting the shaft there Lawson. If you have all the experience it sounds like you have you need to find a better position and stick with it. Even this place would be better http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=5236
                              SWIFTY

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X