International Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Jobs

Guys, are there any international jobs out there? I am asking because I am not american. I have found one very "lucrative" job offer on KBR.com web site (Iraq and Afganistan). If I show to my wife just what I am contemplating about, she will dump me at the spot ...

Living and Working Conditions
    • You will be working and living on a Military style camp.
    • You will be confined to the base at all times.
    • You will be living in tent city in an 8-10 man GP Medium tent. (Like on the show MASH)
    • You will be issued a sleeping bag and cot.
    • Weather is EXTREME. During the summer time, it can be as hot as 150 degrees and as low as 0 degrees and snow in the winter.
    • It is a VERY dusty and dirty environment, so expect be dirty a majority of the time.
    • Sand and dust storms are VERY common and you will get dust and sand in your eyes, mouth and nose. Expect to have a layer on your clothes, food and in your living quarters. There is no escaping the sand and dust!
    • Showers are cold; when you do get a shower, and sometimes you might take a shower by the same water bottle from which you drink.
    • You can expect to see a lot of mice, rats, snakes (cobras), scorpions, ticks, sand fleas, and camel spiders in the camp and living quarters.
    • The camps or bases can be potentially dangerous. (Example: random gunfire, rocket propelled grenades, mortar rounds and land mines)
    • All positions are very hands on regardless of your position/title, and every employee must be able and prepared to do physical labor.
    • You will be provided with three meals per day. This may consist of hot meals and MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat).
    • Working schedule is 7 days a week, 8-12 hours per day (possibly more depending on position).

and my personal favorite:

• If there is a biological or chemical attack and you are a casualty, your body will be CREMATED and sent home.

Last edited by user999; 06-24-2007, 03:51 PM.
    Cruise Ship Job Forum

Originally posted by user999 View Post
    Guys, are there any international jobs out there? I am asking because I am not american. I have found one very "lucrative" job offer on KBR.com web site (Iraq and Afganistan). If I show to my wife just what I am contemplating about, she will dump me at the spot ...

Living and Working Conditions
    • You will be working and living on a Military style camp.
    • You will be confined to the base at all times.
    • You will be living in tent city in an 8-10 man GP Medium tent. (Like on the show MASH)
    • You will be issued a sleeping bag and cot.
    • Weather is EXTREME. During the summer time, it can be as hot as 150 degrees and as low as 0 degrees and snow in the winter.
    • It is a VERY dusty and dirty environment, so expect be dirty a majority of the time.
    • Sand and dust storms are VERY common and you will get dust and sand in your eyes, mouth and nose. Expect to have a layer on your clothes, food and in your living quarters. There is no escaping the sand and dust!
    • Showers are cold; when you do get a shower, and sometimes you might take a shower by the same water bottle from which you drink.
    • You can expect to see a lot of mice, rats, snakes (cobras), scorpions, ticks, sand fleas, and camel spiders in the camp and living quarters.
    • The camps or bases can be potentially dangerous. (Example: random gunfire, rocket propelled grenades, mortar rounds and land mines)
    • All positions are very hands on regardless of your position/title, and every employee must be able and prepared to do physical labor.
    • You will be provided with three meals per day. This may consist of hot meals and MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat).
    • Working schedule is 7 days a week, 8-12 hours per day (possibly more depending on position).

and my personal favorite:

[*]If there is a biological or chemical attack and you are a casualty, your body will be CREMATED and sent home.
    I would not work for KBR as I have not seen any security position overseas that is actually Armed. If they were armed guards I would consider the position.

What website did you see these living conditions on?
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Add "You will not be paid much," and you have the living conditions of US forces currently deployed.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Living conditions

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
        I would not work for KBR as I have not seen any security position overseas that is actually Armed. If they were armed guards I would consider the position.

What website did you see these living conditions on?
        You have to log on to kbr.com under careers, and then apply for something like "security officer". After that, it will give you the warning about living conditions as above.
        Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Salary

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
          Add "You will not be paid much," and you have the living conditions of US forces currently deployed.
          Lowest salary is $5.500 per month, and that is for Logistics department, all sorts of skilled workers.
          Security Officer pozition is around $10.000 per month.
          I have seen the messages on some other forums, guys are saying it is not bad at all.
          You just need to put up with very opscure sceenery of the fortified military base.
          On their site, you will find a load of open pozitions.
          Last edited by user999; 06-24-2007, 03:41 PM. Reason: wording
          Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Originally posted by user999 View Post
            Lowest salary is $5.500 per month, and that is for Logistics department, all sorts of skilled workers.
            Security Officer pozition is around $10.000 per month.
            I have seen the messages on some other forums, guys are saying it is not bad at all.
            You just need to put up with very opscure sceenery of the fortified military base.
            On their site, you will find a load of open pozitions.
            In a phone call I made to someone with that company down in Texas, they mentioned $400 a day, which makes $12k a month. Of course, they also said 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day, 90 days on; 30 days off.

But still.

Hell, even laborers are making $8-10k a month. Sure, the conditions could be primitive, but take the bad with the good.

Brian, some say explicitly 'unarmed', some don't broach the subject at all. Maybe they didn't put it in there, maybe they didn't want to say, and maybe they're refraining from it so as to not attract "cowboy" types.

Besides, a buddy in the 'Ghan has told me, that it seems like everyone is armed there, even the cooks.

Legally or not, officially or not. If I had to work there, I'd rather buy a locally-produced snubnose or something and risk my job, versus walk around Kabul unarmed and risk my life.

Just my $.02

Comment

Hmm... well I don't want to get over there and hold my hand out for my weaponry and be handed a flashlight and a radio. Wackenhut hickey was in Iraq with the Army and when I talked to him about KBR he said he didnt see any of them with guns. So as of now, no thanks.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

$108k a year without figuring OT (if available), I could care less.

Comment

Someone forgot to ask the most important question:

Is your pay tax-free?

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy View Post
                    Someone forgot to ask the most important question:

Is your pay tax-free?
                    Yes, up to a certain amount, somewhere around 80K a year I think if I remember correctly from talking to some contractors in A-stan

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
                      $108k a year without figuring OT (if available), I could care less.
                      108K isnt gonna put your head back on when they chop it off on TV.
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Head off

108K isnt gonna put your head back on when they chop it off on TV.
                        Common now ... Security job was allways connected with risks. That is why it is paid so well, not because is hard, but because people are scared. If in unarmed role, do you really think anybody would send you to a risky area?
                        If in armed role, which is unlikely with KBR, it might be worth to take a look at what is going on there.
                        Surely you can survive 3 months.
                        I prefer to go and after some time decide what is good for me, than watch tv and say it is bad because someones' head got chopped off on tv. That is exactly why terrorists do it, and obviously, it is successful tactics.
                        People do get scared.
                        Somehow, I do not think anybody would mind if you get a gun and stick to it.
                        As someone said, even the cooks in Iraq are armed.
                        It should not be a big deal to carry weapon while in Iraq. Hell, I imagine everybody does.

Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

I believe the service contract is going to be longer than 3 months. It says 90 on 30 off. I believe this is likely a year-long service committment where you work 90 days then get 30 days off. I am interested to know if on the 30 days you go to Qatar, or if you can go home, or if you are stuck in Iraq/Afghan.

If they let me carry a gun I'd be all over it, but till then, I am not amused.
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I believe the service contract is going to be longer than 3 months. It says 90 on 30 off. I believe this is likely a year-long service committment where you work 90 days then get 30 days off. I am interested to know if on the 30 days you go to Qatar, or if you can go home, or if you are stuck in Iraq/Afghan.

If they let me carry a gun I'd be all over it, but till then, I am not amused.
                            Just for fun:

There are 25,000 civilian contractors in Iraq presently (all manner of things, water supply to Starbucks, security ala Blackwater to copy-machine-operators).

There've been 403 confirmed civilian contractors killed since the first day of the war, mostly (about 93%, or 374) PMC employees (aka security contractors).

That's 1.61% of the total.

There's approximately 156,000 US troops in Iraq, with 3562 KIA since day one.

That 2.283% of the total (US).

Give me $108,000 for 9 months work. Gun or no gun. I'll stay in the green zone.

Please?

Comment

Green zone

Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
                              Just for fun:
                              Give me $108,000 for 9 months work. Gun or no gun. I'll stay in the green zone.
                              Please?
                              What is keeping you? Did I miss something?
                              Cruise Ship Job Forum

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X