No announcement yet.

Conservator of the peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh. Up here, alot of the local private college's job description for "campus public safety officer" is identical to that of a police officer. Public colleges get sworn law enforcement officers, but not why you think: The AFL-CIO successfully sued a state college, when the WI Dept. of Justice mandated that their "campus security guards" be fully sworn law enforcement officers. The reason for this, the case law goes, is that they had the same mission as a law enforcement officer, worked for the state, were commissioned as "special deputies" in some cases, and were required to enforce public law.

Sounds like a cop to me, right? So, they were required to be POST certified. The AFL-CIO sued, as the guards were union, stating that it was unfair that the guards required POST to keep their jobs, as only 2 had POST. The State required to send them to POST.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I am looking at Virginia.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

FYI, in case you're interested, the police academy in Burien is hosting a CJ job fair tomorrow, 1300-1600.

Comment

Our company does some work at the Port of Seattle and lots of stuff for a major airline at SeaTac airport.

Our officers also used to be Deputy Sheriffs, commissioned by the county about 25-30 years ago. The rusted badges are hanging in our lobby to prove it. LOL
          Liability is never above officer safety. Do what you must to make sure you go home safe.

William-2, 10-6 for 105. Yep, I'm at Starbucks!

I may be gay, but I'll eff you up!

Personal Web Site

Cheap, Quality Web Design! Put a great cop on the beat by helping with my tuition! :-D

Comment

Cotp

"Conservator of the Peace" status does not exist in Washington State law. I've held "special police" commissions at several agencies for which I've worked. "Special Police" can mean various things. You can commission a volunteer to enforce disabled parking stall violations or you can commission someone with full police powers to enforce the laws of the state (reserve police officer) or anything in between.

Special Police Commissions are defined in Chapter 10.93 RCW. Any general authority agency can issue them--so, they're not limited to counties and cities. The Chief of the State Patrol could issue them if he so chose and essentially does for Commerical Vehicle Enforcement Officers (very limited powers), but, do not have reserve troopers. State Deputy Fire Marshals can also hold a commission--but they currently don't. Department of Fish and Wildlife had, but discontinued, their reserve program.

Typically security police assignments, such as watershed inspectors and the like, hold special commissions from their city's police departments. They also may carry a water pollution special police officer commission (which is actually a limited peace officer commission granted by the mayor) which authorizes enforcement within and without a city's boundaries on city property.

Aside from reserve police assignments, I've held a special police commission as the Highline College police chief, as the Bremerton watershed inspector and as a local County fire/arson investigator. Highline College currently holds no police authority (save the limited grant of authority relative to parking and traffic regulation). Port of Tacoma has the authority to issue their own commissions or to hold Tacoma Police Department special police commissions. They choose to do neither at present.

Tacoma Police commissions the road use compliance officers and other enforcement positions not located within the department. As for Seattle City Center emergency services unit and some of the other commission eligible positions (such as Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officers) they typically aren't limited to parking enforcement. Auburn School District police officers carry special police commissions from the city. Highline Public Schools (where I also work) and Tacoma Public Schools, who employ some armed patrol personnel do not. Spokane (unarmed) has some specially commissioned school security officers.

At places such as Pacific Lutheran University, where the Campus Safety Supervisors carry a special deputy sheriff commission, they are indeed limited to parking enforcement authority. Their director is a supervisory PCSO deputy (presently a sergeant, to my understanding) on contract and they use deputies to patrol around the school and Campus Safety actively works campus proper.

Notwithstanding the excellent railroad police example, the federal government routinely commissions private security personnel. You'll see this example frequently on military and naval posts such as Bangor (security police are contract folks) and at federal courthouses. Court Security Officers are typically AKAL Security, RAM Security, DynCorp or the like and they are commissioned and armed special deputy U.S. Marshals while on duty. As for Hanford Patrol, I believe they have a mix of personnel responsible for their security program. They bulk of them work for a private entity (to my understanding) and carry a federal commission. They are not all federal employees.

Private security was frequently commissioned in Washington State many years ago, however, liability concerns became the controlling factor together with the inception of security guard regulation. The closest thing you'll find to "conservator" status is the authority of certain cemetery personnel to enforce the law (to include making lawful arrests) within a reasonable radius of their property. I hope some of my insight helps.... --K.
            Last edited by SpecialAgentKC; 10-06-2007, 01:33 PM.
            Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

"I am looking at Virginia."

If you need info about the Virginia Conservator of the Peace certification PM me and I can give you a heads up. I am currently an SCOP out of the Hampton Roads Area.
              Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

Virginia....

SEO 09: Perhaps I misunderstood. I believe he was wondering if there was the functional equivalent of the VA system in WA. I surmise he was looking at VA as a comparison and contrasting that to what may or may not exist here in the Evergreen State. Take care. --K.
                Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialAgentKC View Post
                  SEO 09: Perhaps I misunderstood. I believe he was wondering if there was the functional equivalent of the VA system in WA. I surmise he was looking at VA as a comparison and contrasting that to what may or may not exist here in the Evergreen State. Take care. --K.
                  That would make sence. I don't know of too many other places that have fully sworn private police like in VA, there is of course the Company Police system in NC, but that is as close as I know of. There is nothing in MA.
                  Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

Originally posted by OccamsRazor View Post
                    I know there are some guys at Hanford that are private security, that do have 'special' commissions, I met one on a tour a few years ago.

I used to hold (A LONG TIME AGO) a special commission here in WA, but it was also a security position for the state. I just checked, and that position doesn't even exist anymore. I am OLD

Maybe you coud change jobs within your company? Try this one:

http://www.wsihq.com/careers_nevada.asp

If I didn't listen to Art Bell and Coast to Coast AM so much, I might have a shot...
                    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialAgentKC View Post
                      "Conservator of the Peace" status does not exist in Washington State law. I've held "special police" commissions at several agencies for which I've worked. "Special Police" can mean various things. You can commission a volunteer to enforce disabled parking stall violations or you can commission someone with full police powers to enforce the laws of the state (reserve police officer) or anything in between.
                      Reserves in MN cannot be commissioned with full police powers. They can however, enforce non-moving and non-criminal laws and city ordinances.
                      Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X