Conservator of the peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilrobnson
    ..I'm not driving over 100 miles RT for that type of wage.
    That's what I do every day. It's just about 100 miles there and back (97 actually) for $10.50 an hour.
    Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
      That's what I do every day. It's just about 100 miles there and back (97 actually) for $10.50 an hour.
      Good Lord! I was mad this week as I had to work a different-than-the-normal post...Driving nearly 55 miles RT for my base wage of $20.92/hr.

How do you do it? I was able to (by working there 1x a week) retain my transit ID stuff, so I can ride the buses/trains for free...If I had to pay for gas and parking, I'd be looking for another job.

Comment

Forget that. My last company (security masters) tried to get me to go more than 40 miles for a job for 8 an hour... sorry... aint happening.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

By the way, I think the PoO (Ironically... that what that place smells like) contracts TCSO for ship guards now.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
            By the way, I think the PoO (Ironically... that what that place smells like) contracts TCSO for ship guards now.
            I'm not surprised, the way my company handles things...

Comment

Yeah... all I can say, is the Western WA. Merchant Patrol... the company I worked for is the worst security outfit Ive ever come across. Period.
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                Yeah... all I can say, is the Western WA. Merchant Patrol... the company I worked for is the worst security outfit Ive ever come across. Period.
                I heard bad things about them as well...Weren't they run out of some guy's house in Federal Way, and the 'office' phone was his cell??

Comment

They are run out of centralia and their office is a house next to Cent. Comm. Coll.
                  "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Which company was providing the gate security? Was it actually the Port of Tacoma officers, or a contract company? I've met a few PoT officers, and they were all high-speed, low-drag types, nothing like that. Of course, that was a few years ago...

Also, Sampson, do you know when the state of Washington stopped doing the special commissions? I had one several years ago, including an 'oath' administered by a brass-level trooper who didn't look like he could tie his own shoes
                    Hi wilrobnson,

I don't know when the State stopped issuing Special Commissions. In fact, I was not aware that any were ever issued except for the railroad police. I do know that DNR, State Parks, Lottery Commission, Liquor Board, and possibly corrections do have limited police powers, but they are more in the form of statutory authority (they are given powers by state law and they issue commission cards from within). I am interested to know who issued yours and what it looked like?

I have seen evidence of when a few of the community colleges were commissioned (old badges/patches/signs), but its hard to say when that was in place. Currently, the R.C.W. only allows 4 year colleges/universities to be commissioned. I am guessing that the two year colleges obtained commissions from local agencies.

In the Eastern part of the U.S., private security, with the proper training, can
                    obtain special commissions that are active while they are working and on company property. It would be nice to see something like that happen in Washington State.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampson
                      I have seen evidence of when a few of the community colleges were commissioned (old badges/patches/signs), but its hard to say when that was in place. Currently, the R.C.W. only allows 4 year colleges/universities to be commissioned. I am guessing that the two year colleges obtained commissions from local agencies.
                      Didn't Highline Community College have it's own PD awhile back?

Comment

Didn't Highline Community College have it's own PD awhile back?
                        Very interesting subject there. Check this story out! Many years ago, Highline was in un-incorporated King County. From what I understand, they felt they needed to have some sort of police presence on campus, so they assumed the title of Police Officer. This included badges, patches, and patrol cars with police markings and emergency lighting (most colleges use red or red/blue because they have statutory authority to control traffic). This went on until just a few years ago (well after the college was annexed into the city of Des Moines).

I remember asking them about how they could use the title of Police Officer. they told me it was just like any other job title (like Janitor). They were not commissioned and had the same authority as Campus Security Officers at the other State colleges.

It appears that the State job description for Campus Police Officers and Campus Security Officers is identical with the exception of a required police academy. So, to circumvent this, Highline would send their officers to a reserve academy to satisfy the job description. Good pay too!

Here is something stranger. I vaguely remember that Tacoma PD used to issue licenses to individuals who wanted to work as private police officers at a fixed location (security dressed up like a police officer). These were individuals who wore a police uniform, but had no affiliation with the city and no commission of any sort. I guess it was more of a visual deterrent for businesses.

Comment

It appears that the State job description for Campus Police Officers and Campus Security Officers is identical with the exception of a required police academy. So, to circumvent this, Highline would send their officers to a reserve academy to satisfy the job description. Good pay too!
                          Yeah, didn't they run a reserve academy there as well?

Comment

Yeah, didn't they run a reserve academy there as well?
                            Yes. Highline, Tacoma, and Everett community colleges had an academy. I believe T.C.C. still does. South Seattle used to have a corrections academy.

Comment

Yes. Highline, Tacoma, and Everett community colleges had an academy. I believe T.C.C. still does. South Seattle used to have a corrections academy.
                              Don't forget Renton Vo-Tech...I took theirs sometime in the last century (!), dunno if it's still in operation though.

Comment

Very interesting subject there. Check this story out! Many years ago, Highline was in un-incorporated King County. From what I understand, they felt they needed to have some sort of police presence on campus, so they assumed the title of Police Officer. This included badges, patches, and patrol cars with police markings and emergency lighting (most colleges use red or red/blue because they have statutory authority to control traffic). This went on until just a few years ago (well after the college was annexed into the city of Des Moines).

I remember asking them about how they could use the title of Police Officer. they told me it was just like any other job title (like Janitor). They were not commissioned and had the same authority as Campus Security Officers at the other State colleges.

Here is something stranger. I vaguely remember that Tacoma PD used to issue licenses to individuals who wanted to work as private police officers at a fixed location (security dressed up like a police officer). These were individuals who wore a police uniform, but had no affiliation with the city and no commission of any sort. I guess it was more of a visual deterrent for businesses.
                                Just when I thought I had heard it all.....
                                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X