Conservator of the peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservator of the peace

Does anyone know of any decent C.O.T.P. jobs out there?
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
    Does anyone know of any decent C.O.T.P. jobs out there?
    Yeah, but this guy already has it- http://www.thurstonsheriff.org/index...enuSubID/5.htm

Comment

Gary Edwards ( met him a few times... Great Guy!) is a sheriff. I am looking for Conservator of the Peace in a Private security fashion. Like they have in VA.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Gary Edwards ( met him a few times... Great Guy!) is a sheriff. I am looking for Conservator of the Peace in a Private security fashion. Like they have in VA.
        Not being familiar with that sort of position, I am assuming (yes, ASSuming) that it is akin to some sort of Security Police Officer position? If so, the only one I know of offhand in Washington State would be at the Hanford facility...Link here:

http://www.hanford.gov/reach/viewpdf.cfm?aid=191

They don't seem to be hiring right now, but I've seen it open and close several times a year.

Comment

Washington... as far as I know... does not allow for what I am looking for, which is private security with policing powers, the hanford site (which I have been to and met some of their officers) are actually federal employees. They are govt. police officers commissioned by the department of energy. Our company is working on commissioning employees at a particular site, as there is a lot of need for more protection that private security cannot offer without powers of police.
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Washington... as far as I know... does not allow for what I am looking for, which is private security with policing powers, the hanford site (which I have been to and met some of their officers) are actually federal employees. They are govt. police officers commissioned by the department of energy. Our company is working on commissioning employees at a particular site, as there is a lot of need for more protection that private security cannot offer without powers of police.
            I know there are some guys at Hanford that are private security, that do have 'special' commissions, I met one on a tour a few years ago.

I used to hold (A LONG TIME AGO) a special commission here in WA, but it was also a security position for the state. I just checked, and that position doesn't even exist anymore. I am OLD

Maybe you coud change jobs within your company? Try this one:

http://www.wsihq.com/careers_nevada.asp

Comment

Special Police Commissions in Washington State

Washington state law (R.C.W./W.A.C.) does not provide for Special Conservators of the Peace. It would be nice if proprietary and contract security petitioned the State to allow such officers, but organizing such a movement would be difficult because of conflicting points of view. It is needed considering that State law does not have any provisions for citizens arrest authority (with the exception of merchants stopping shoplifters). I would imagine that many of the large companies would be in support of this effort. You could start by contacting leaders of private and public security agencies to get their support.

Presently, only city and county governments can issue Special Police Commissions (with the exception of Railroad Police. They are commissioned through the C.J.T.C.). I believe Seattle used to issue special commissions to loss prevention officers prior to the Retail Theft Program. Now, from what I?ve heard, these commissions are only issued to city employees (e.g. Animal Control, Parking Enforcement (meter maids), Court Marshals, Seattle Center Security (for parking enforcement), and possibly the water department to cite for water usage during low water seasons.

I believe up at the watershed, operated by the City of Seattle, Watershed Inspectors are commissioned to enforce trespass laws. Since they are outside the city limits, their commissions come from King County.

Tacoma used to issue Special Police Commissions to private security but I believe that all went away after the State took over licensing of private security. Now, like Seattle, they probably only commission Animal Control, etc. I don?t even think that the Port of Tacoma Security have special commissions (this is bizarre considering how professional they are).

The State?s community colleges have statutory authority to control vehicular and pedestrian movement on campuses. Security Supervisors at Pacific Lutheran University are commissioned through the county.

Over at Hanford, I believe the Security Police Officers are commissioned through the D.O.E. and they are private employees of a government contractor.
              Last edited by Sampson; 01-18-2006, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Edited out thanks.
                Last edited by Lawson; 10-24-2011, 09:01 PM.
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

You were wasting the Guard's time, he was probally watching TV.

Securitas. For Gate Security. On a secure facility.

Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Which company was providing the gate security? Was it actually the Port of Tacoma officers, or a contract company? I've met a few PoT officers, and they were all high-speed, low-drag types, nothing like that. Of course, that was a few years ago...

Also, Sampson, do you know when the state of Washington stopped doing the special commissions? I had one several years ago, including an 'oath' administered by a brass-level trooper who didn't look like he could tie his own shoes

Comment

Port of Tacoma Security... some of the worst security Ive EVER seen guarding an international terminal.
                      Sad thing but it may be just that particular Guard, I won't call him a SO. It's possible that if you got to the port on a different shift you may have found a dedicated offocer who wsa serious about doing his/her job.
                      The same thing has happened to me. I show up to work one day to find out that we were being replaced by Securitas. Seems that it wasn't anything I was doing wrong but what someone on a different shift WASN'T doing. Other shifts had SOs sitting at the main gate watching tv with their shoes off instead of checking the IDs and vehicles of people trying to enter our facility. The facility safety director found out and decided to cancel our contract and bring in Securitas with a whole new crew and stronger supervison. The problem is that I see it happening again at this facility where I'm posted now. I'm told by plant employees that it's common knowledge that some SOs on opposite shifts spend most night shifts sleeping and doing paper rounds (logging rounds as made in the book but never actually leaving the guard shack).
                      I'm SICK of doing my job and having to worry that I could loose it because some lazy bastard on another shift may wave through a safety inspector one night instead of getting up and walking out to check them in properly.
                      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I dont know who it was. I assume it was PoT. But KIRO 7 ( I think) did an investigative story on it... same results... were waved right through every time they approached the gate.
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I just think when you are guarding something like that... you should take more pride in your job than anything else. You are being trusted with billions of dollars of cargo, ships, equipment, loaded freight, etc... Not to mention the lives of people working in the facilities and on board the ships. Like I said, when I worked Port of Olympia, I went out to kick ass (as arrogant as that may sound). I worked hard to see no one was on the site who wasnt supposed to be, doesnt matter if it was crazy bum, punk teenager, or muhammed the terrorist. If they didnt belong they left on their feet or in cuffs. I was pretty aggressive when it came to guarding that site, I rolled around everywhere, off schedule, any calls for service were answered immediately, I knew all the hotspots for criminal activity, transient sleeping spots, public urinations, vehicle prowls, etc... and worked them like none other.

Well all my work, eventually brought me down. When my company said I almost killed someone and committed federal violations, etc. It was at that time ALL my supervisors turned against me and were like "yeah! we told him he's too aggressive" Im thinking "Bull****, I just happen to give a damn and want to keep my port safe." Instead of these assholes who just roll from point to point hitting their stupid Polestar. And eventually the Local Police said I did nothing wrong... actually they said that within 24 hrs of the accusations.

The company offered me work after that at the port of tacoma, but I quit.

Sorry for the rant... that story just gets me worked up.

But anyway.. I used to work extremely hard on my port, which has not even close to what PoT has. And these guys wont even ask for a drivers license... or write down a plate number. I hope U.S. Customs has replaced them or squared their ass away. I know KIRO's bad media coverage probably gave them a well needed kick in the nads.
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I hope U.S. Customs has replaced them or squared their ass away. I know KIRO's bad media coverage probably gave them a well needed kick in the nads.
                            Amen!

As an aside, while I was waiting for my armed license (!), the place I work for offered me a temp job at the Port of Olympia, guarding some sort of military ship against Evergreen State College protesters (?)...For $10 an hour. It was only after I'd been laughing for 30 seconds or so that the manager guessed I was turning it down...I'm not driving over 100 miles RT for that type of wage.

Comment

I was pretty aggressive when it came to guarding that site, I rolled around everywhere, off schedule, any calls for service were answered immediately, I knew all the hotspots for criminal activity, transient sleeping spots, public urinations, vehicle prowls, etc... and worked them like none other.
                              Same here. It's how I got the nick name Q-Beam. I was always ready to patrol and working nights I was very liberal with the spotlight in the dark shadowed areas. The chemical plant where I was assigned liked a very high profile show of security patrols in addition to our more mundane and lower profile duties such as building walk throughs and door checks. When I worked it was just like I was back at the State Prison. Anyone parking on the highway next to our plant could expect me to be there in a couple of minutes to check them out. Vehicles passing by several times a night would be reported to the local Police to check out. damage to gates, fence or buildings was logged and reported to the plant manager.
                              Of course, it didn't save us from loosing the account.
                              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X