Security job help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security job help

I'm looking to switch security companies. Right now i'm an unarmed security officer for a fairly large security business. Does anyone know of any places I could look into. I live in Ohio towards Akron if that helps. Thanks, I appreciate any insight that you may have.

major problem here

OK, here's my deal...5 months ago, I lost my job, that I've held for 5 and a half years. My question is, WHY is it taking me SO long to get a job again? I have applied to almost 80% of the security jobs in the metro Milwaukee, WI area. I have slightly more than 8 years of security experience. I have the ability to perform incident/accident report writing that includes interviewing witnesses, victims and suspects. I have experience with suspect detainment, foot patrol, vehicle patrol and crime deterrence. Also with CCTV with stationary and PTZ cameras, two-way radio etiquette, desk dispatch, telephone operations, computer-based fire and duress alarm response, crime in progress response and medical emergency response. I am also CPR and AED certified.
    So, I ask you all, with all my knowledge, WHY isn't my phone ringing off the hook with interview offers????????
    "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsinite
      OK, here's my deal...5 months ago, I lost my job, that I've held for 5 and a half years. My question is, WHY is it taking me SO long to get a job again? I have applied to almost 80% of the security jobs in the metro Milwaukee, WI area. I have slightly more than 8 years of security experience. I have the ability to perform incident/accident report writing that includes interviewing witnesses, victims and suspects. I have experience with suspect detainment, foot patrol, vehicle patrol and crime deterrence. Also with CCTV with stationary and PTZ cameras, two-way radio etiquette, desk dispatch, telephone operations, computer-based fire and duress alarm response, crime in progress response and medical emergency response. I am also CPR and AED certified.
      So, I ask you all, with all my knowledge, WHY isn't my phone ringing off the hook with interview offers????????
      You sound overqualified for everything here in Kenosha.

Have you tried Twin Cities? They bothered to talk with me after I put in my "hardest" resume. Too bad they didn't have anything close to Kenosha at the time.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

One glaring problem could be that you HAVE that much experience. A good many warm body companies look at you as someone who'll jump ship the minute that good offer comes in. Its a catch-22 situation for you. Start networking, send resumes to every gov't agency that has security, both state and federal in your area. Hit up large facilities and corporations. Quite a few of the better jobs are word of mouth or quietly advertised. Make sure you have a professional resume, always follow up with a call to personnel/HR. Check company websites and info and tailor your cover letter to thier needs and mission. Be persistent and don't get discouraged. Never undersell yourself and keep plugging away like the professional you are!
        Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Checked the Americas Job Bank listings for Ohio, quite a few positions on there. Seems that Allied barton has over run that state also with job postings.

Comment

What type of job are you looking for? I know that Strategic Protection Agency is hiring (third shift alarm response). Loomis&Fargo and American Security are hiring for cash handling. Everyone else is right.... you sound way too overqualified for a basic SO position. When I put my resume into Inital Security (who is always hiring by the way) the girl says to me, uh... we're not hiring for anything other than basic security officer... I said "I know".

Comment

OK...here's my deal

I already applied at Strategic Protection in January. They didn't hire me. Initial Security always has an ad in the paper, but they have nothing I feel I'd like, or excel at. I worked for them also, back in 1998. Given my "rehire" status, I'd be given "preferential treatment". But now they're wasting my time. As far as Loomis Fargo goes, I do not want to carry a sidearm. Too much risk and liability. Plus getting firearm certified is a hassle, considering the pay differences arent that great.
              "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

Comment

Loomis Fargo

Plus Loomis Fargo is owned by Securitas.

I already applied at Strategic Protection in January. They didn't hire me. Initial Security always has an ad in the paper, but they have nothing I feel I'd like, or excel at. I worked for them also, back in 1998. Given my "rehire" status, I'd be given "preferential treatment". But now they're wasting my time. As far as Loomis Fargo goes, I do not want to carry a sidearm. Too much risk and liability. Plus getting firearm certified is a hassle, considering the pay differences arent that great.

Comment

Security Job Help

Have you tried Tenable Security? Their number is (330) 245-0325. I don't know if they're hiring in Akron, but I know the management and as far as I can tell, they are a high quality company.
                  Richard Dickinson
                  Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                  DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                  www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Folks, keep in mind that Wisconsinite (The only guy replying to this thread anymore) is in Wisconsin.

I feel for him. Most of the unarmed shops around here cringe at anything more than a basic idiot. Its sad.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      Folks, keep in mind that Wisconsinite (The only guy replying to this thread anymore) is in Wisconsin.

I feel for him. Most of the unarmed shops around here cringe at anything more than a basic idiot. Its sad.
                      I don't know where he is in Wisconsin, but the Americas Job Bank listings have positions listed for several security positions posted on the 2nd and ones from earlier.

Comment

Idea

Ever thought about Corrections? Great job, benefits, and excitement.

Comment

initial security

I used to work ini tial in springfield il.

Comment

Originally posted by dla4122
                            Ever thought about Corrections? Great job, benefits, and excitement.
                            In this neck of the woods, Corrections is run by "Jailers," or "Corrections Officers." Basically, say it with me: Jail Guard. They are not sworn officers, hold no arrest authority, no authority to carry weapons beyond a private citizen, and basically are the same as security officers.

Some Sheriff's Departments deputize the jailers, but most do not. They are a seperate department, called "House of Corrections."

Comment

Wow....

No weapons? What about on transport, medical runs, court dates? No Carry on Person Chemical Agents?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X