Whatcom Security (Washington)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In house vs. contract companies

I've worked in house for two companies, Nintendo of America and Harris Ford (Bill Pierre owned). In both cases, I performed more non-security related duties than I did my purported basic job function. Yes there are security departments "in house" where the focus is more security centric, but you must choose those jobs carefully... Security as a whole is perceived as an expense and a drag on overhead by most organizations, which is why clients try to throw other duties on the Officers. In some cases this doesn't detract from the overall job function, but usually it's a matter of sacrificing security to get the other duties done, and having the title of "security" more for insurance purposes than otherwise... TRM

Originally posted by Investigation
    If you want a good Security job, I would look at some in-house agencies here in Washington State. Chances are that you'll be compensated, and treated, better.
    Tony R. Myhre
    Regional Director - Division Manager
    Whatcom Security Agency
    [email protected]
    Member - International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA)
    "No One of us is as good as All of Us"

Comment

Originally posted by TheRegulator
      That's dead on... I wouldn't, and don't ask my Officers to do anything that's not directly related to the care, welfare, safety and security of the facility and persons they are responsible for. Like SecTrainer said, there's a time and place, but as a general rule, a S/O's primary function is just that... Security Officer. TRM
      The "time and place" that I suggested is a situation in which there is a protective/safety issue involved, and I probably should have said that I meant ONLY such situations.

I also should have said that the security officer must be alert to the possibility that someone might deliberately create a "hazard" situation in order to distract or divert the officer from his security duties. Officers assigned to access control posts, for instance, should probably never leave those posts unattended, or be expected to do anything that would permit someone to slip past them or otherwise defeat the access control system.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

That's a good point. If you're there to guard a door, you do not need to leave the door to go mop a floor in the next hallway. The client must understand, "no one is guarding that door while my employee is mopping your floor." And, if they go, "That's ok," ask yourself "why do they want that door guarded in the first place, if its ok to stop at random times?"

Base your continued contractual relationship on the sanity of the reply you get. Do not let your client take your entire operation down.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by TheRegulator View Post
          That's dead on... I wouldn't, and don't ask my Officers to do anything that's not directly related to the care, welfare, safety and security of the facility and persons they are responsible for.
          Sounds like you are a CPI Instructor too.
          Professionalism through Training

Comment

Cpi

The phrase stuck with me, what can I say? TRM
            Tony R. Myhre
            Whatcom Security Agency
            [email protected]
            Member - International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA)

Comment

Jobs!

Since this IS a jobs thread after all, we are hiring! See below for info:

Come grow with the best in Security - Patrol, On Site & Managers!

Whatcom Security Agency is recruiting Security Officers, Patrol Officers and Managers for a variety of positions:

Assigned to a fixed site, vehicle patrol, Quality Control or a Regional Rapid Response Team for expedited deployment.

Here are the details:

$9 to 11 dollars to start, or 11-$13 per hour MINIMUM for our Patrol & RRRT members - $18 per hour and up if you have an armed license and are assigned to an armed site! Work part time, full time, however much YOU want!

Quality Control management positions are currently open also! Pay DOE / DOQ.

For Regional Rapid Response Team members:

One "no" per pay period allowed
              Respond to last minute calls for service, critical incidents or emergency situations
              Must have reliable transportation available 24 hours per day (at a moments notice), a valid drivers license, a working home phone and/or a cell phone
              These openings will require you to be available for short notice, on call work and be prepared to travel to the required job sites.
              You will need to be available 24 hours a day, for ALL shifts, this includes graveyard shifts at short notice.

We provide free or low cost training in:
              Crisis Management
              ASP Baton
              OC (pepper spray)
              Handcuffing
              Taser
              Firearm
              Report writing
              Patrol Techniques
              Legal aspects of the use of force
              Physical Security
              Counter-Terrorism and Homeland Security

Experienced officers are needed IMMEDIATELY!

We have multiple openings for new and existing contracts in Snohomish and King County: Stanwood, Arlington, Marysville, Everett, Snohomish, Woodinville, Lynnwood, Seattle, Burien, Renton and more.

We are an industry leader in providing quality, cost effective short and long term contract security personnel, private investigators, armed guards, ATM and alarm response and executive protection agents for ANY client need.

We have immediate FULL OR PART TIME WORK available NOW!

WSA provides the finest in pro-active, community oriented and custom tailored physical security and patrol services in Western Washington.

Our Officers are highly trained, with a comprehensive, documented Basic Security Officer, Field Training Officer, Basics of Management, and other innovative programs. We also offer many low cost defensive tactics courses (OC spray, batons, crisis intervention, tactical handcuffing and Taser) by a certified instructor.

You will work with an excellent management staff that cares about doing the job right and respecting its employees. Our Quality Control team consists of over 110 years of combined security, law enforcement and military experience.

We've worked for the rest, now we run the best! Tired of being treated like a number by our big national competitors? Tired of local companies that don't treat their clients or employees with respect? If you're a man or woman who wants to grow professionally in the security field, then please apply at WSA today.

Here's what you need to know:

*We're looking for a resume that shows steady work history, mature ability to work with people, have a keen eye for details and wants steady employment.

*You must be physically fit, able to stand and walk throughout your shift.

*You must have a clean criminal history record, and have the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays and the ability to become a licensed Washington State Security Officer.

*We're looking for people who pay attention to detail, can write short reports and can communicate and relate well with diverse groups of client contacts and customers of our client.

*You must have reliable transportation and a working phone so we can contact you.

* All full time positions include medical benefits eligibility after 90 days, direct deposit, vacation pay (after one year of service, credit union membership, and company matched 401(k)).

*Wages (higher rates for on call status) depend on experience and shift. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.

Please apply at our:

South Seattle Office (Inside the Executive Support Center)
              14900 Interurban Ave South, Suite 291
              Tukwila, WA 98168

or our Everett Regional Office

Whatcom Security Agency
              1902 120th Pl SE Suite 203
              Everett, WA 98208

Call us Toll Free for directions of more information:
              1-866-918-9300 and ask for Lieutenant David Langham

For more information about WSA, or to apply on line, please visit http://www.whatcomsecurity.com/

Reply to: [email protected]
              Date: 2008-03-23, 11:05AM PDT

Compensation: $9 to 18 per hour DOE / DOQ
              Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
              Tony R. Myhre
              Whatcom Security Agency
              [email protected]

Comment

Ive seen that ad a few times... what exactly is RRRT? And what do they mean one "no" per pay period?
                "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

TBH that 18+ per hour for the armed work sounds awfully good compared to wages in my area... (Not to mention my own wage.. ) But there's no way in the-other-word-for-heck that I'd be willing to relocate to the Seattle area... Been there enough times to know that I couldn't stand living there. No offense of course.
                  Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                  Originally posted by ValleyOne
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                    Ive seen that ad a few times... what exactly is RRRT? And what do they mean one "no" per pay period?
                    BHR Lawson, RRRT means Regional Rapid Response Team. As for the one "no" per pay period, I have not a clue. Could be a miss print, or a code like the da vinci code.

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow11 View Post
                      BHR Lawson, RRRT means Regional Rapid Response Team. As for the one "no" per pay period, I have not a clue. Could be a miss print, or a code like the da vinci code.
                      I'd hazard a guess that, since it's an "on-call" position, once very pay period (be it one week, 2 weeks, 1/2 month, whatever), they can call you to roll out and you have the option of saying "no, I can't make it" for any reason, or no reason, and that this is acceptable by Company standards.

I also imagine that there are legitimate emergency reasons to say no that would be acceptable as well, such as, "I can't... I just got to the hospital where my 4-yr old is being stitched up," "Sorry, boss, but I just got in a car accident and just finished giving my statement to the PO, he's interviewing the other guy now," or "No can do... know that blonde receptionist from Site 41? Yeah, the one with the piercings? Well, they do go all the way down... yup, see you tomorrow. Thanks boss!"
                      "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

Finally, an answer!

RRRT stands for Regional Rapid Response Team. As for the 'one "no" per pay period', that means that if you are a member of the RRRT, you are allowed to tell the Scheduler "no" when you are called for service one time during each pay period for exigent circumstances or other pre-determined reasons that are considered acceptable under policy. Otherwise, the positions pay 1-3 dollars more than entry level in order to insure that the Officer is truly 'on call 24 / 7 / 365, but compensates for the real life variables that we all have in our availability. There is no shortage of work right now, so we are still hiring for these RRRT positions throughout my region (Snohomish, King and Pierce County), to include those with armed licenses. Thanks, and I apologize for the delay in answering your question directly. TRM

Originally posted by Lawson View Post
                        Tony R. Myhre
                        Whatcom Security Agency
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by TheRegulator View Post
                          I am the Director of Quality Control / Operations for Whatcom Security Agency. We are a division of Parker Corporate Services, which owns several other companies. My Officers DO NOT perform janitorial duties, that is what Action Cleaning Services and our other cleaning agencies are responsible for doing.

My Security Officers are responsible for safeguarding life and property, observing, detecting, deterring and reporting. A check of Washington State's web site will show that we actually have several armed Security Officers, in addition to my training and equipping our Officers with a comprehensive defensive tactics program, a solid use of force policy, OC, batons, handcuffs and Tasers (I'm a certified instructor and ILEETA member), and we utilize top notch trainers from other organizations to round out our training and certification programs..

On the last note, my Officers are all equipped with top of the line, tri-network / redundant walkie-talkies and cellular telephones with GPS. Our patrolmen have GPS enabled lap tops with two ways in the car and on their persons... We leave nothing to chance, and don't play games with our Officers lives, or our clients properties.

Just figured I'd throw this out there, since you were completely off base and incorrect about the professional security organization that I proudly manage. Take care, and best wishes in your future endeavors. TRM
                          HAHAHAHA, that is such a huge lie, i worked for whatcom security and trust me, we were not issued any of this stuff. I was given 1 shirt, 1 pair of pants, a badge and collar devices and we had to use personal cell phone if anything happended. The only thing worse than how ill equipped we were was how ill trained we were, we had 8 hours of training(of which an hour and a half was used for lunch) were we watched a video and signed some paperwork. It is a joke of a security company and I would not recommend it to anybody

Comment

Originally posted by antiwhatcomsecurity View Post
                            HAHAHAHA, that is such a huge lie, i worked for whatcom security and trust me, we were not issued any of this stuff. I was given 1 shirt, 1 pair of pants, a badge and collar devices and we had to use personal cell phone if anything happended. The only thing worse than how ill equipped we were was how ill trained we were, we had 8 hours of training(of which an hour and a half was used for lunch) were we watched a video and signed some paperwork. It is a joke of a security company and I would not recommend it to anybody
                            Considering your IP comes back to Oklahoma... What Whatcom did you work for? One branch can be run totally different than another.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Oh my...

Thanks Corbier. To an extent, what you said is absolutely correct, in that the three branches that we maintain, Bellingham, Wenatchee and Everett do run some what differently. I am not sure who this person is, considering our company has about 500 regular service employees, and there is coming and going from time to time, but needless to say, it's usually the people who we have fired for misconduct who end up posting messages such as this, or any of a number of other insidious activities. As the now Regional Director and Branch Manager for the southern division of my company, I stand by my original post as the complete truth. Anyone who knows the command staff of our local police agencies, or any of a number of various civic, municipal or business leaders will testify to this as well. It is unfortunate that this person appears to have a bad experience. TRM

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                              Considering your IP comes back to Oklahoma... What Whatcom did you work for? One branch can be run totally different than another.
                              Tony R. Myhre
                              Whatcom Security Agency
                              [email protected]

Comment

TRM, is your company specificaly in the North? Any branches in Texas? You've probably already said and I just missed it.
                                That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X