Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatcom Security (Washington)?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whatcom Security (Washington)?

    Wondered if anyone knows anything about this company (a division of Parker Corporate Services in Bellingham, WA)?...I believe the company also runs a janitorial service - hopefully not using the same people!
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

    "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

    "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

    "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

  • #2
    Its common for some "services companies" to run combine security and janitorial services. After all, the guard isn't actually "doing anything" while patrolling, so he can perform janitorial duties as well.

    One of the two local security companies also has a janitorial service. Considering their security personnel are completely unarmed (and have no communication), I'd say they're probably the janitorial staff, too.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

    Comment


    • #3
      Not the case at all...

      I am the Director of Quality Control / Operations for Whatcom Security Agency. We are a division of Parker Corporate Services, which owns several other companies. My Officers DO NOT perform janitorial duties, that is what Action Cleaning Services and our other cleaning agencies are responsible for doing.

      My Security Officers are responsible for safeguarding life and property, observing, detecting, deterring and reporting. A check of Washington State's web site will show that we actually have several armed Security Officers, in addition to my training and equipping our Officers with a comprehensive defensive tactics program, a solid use of force policy, OC, batons, handcuffs and Tasers (I'm a certified instructor and ILEETA member), and we utilize top notch trainers from other organizations to round out our training and certification programs..

      On the last note, my Officers are all equipped with top of the line, tri-network / redundant walkie-talkies and cellular telephones with GPS. Our patrolmen have GPS enabled lap tops with two ways in the car and on their persons... We leave nothing to chance, and don't play games with our Officers lives, or our clients properties.

      Just figured I'd throw this out there, since you were completely off base and incorrect about the professional security organization that I proudly manage. Take care, and best wishes in your future endeavors. TRM

      Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      Its common for some "services companies" to run combine security and janitorial services. After all, the guard isn't actually "doing anything" while patrolling, so he can perform janitorial duties as well.

      One of the two local security companies also has a janitorial service. Considering their security personnel are completely unarmed (and have no communication), I'd say they're probably the janitorial staff, too.
      Tony R. Myhre
      Regional Director - Division Manager
      Whatcom Security Agency
      [email protected]
      Member - International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA)
      "No One of us is as good as All of Us"

      Comment


      • #4
        Stick around and become a contributing member to our forum. Welcome.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks!

          I've been on the site for a while now and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. This is a great group of pro's here, and I'd love to do just that... Thanks for the invite! TRM

          Originally posted by Mr. Security
          Stick around and become a contributing member to our forum. Welcome.
          Tony R. Myhre
          Regional Director - Division Manager
          Whatcom Security Agency
          [email protected]
          Member - International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA)
          "No One of us is as good as All of Us"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TheRegulator
            Just figured I'd throw this out there, since you were completely off base and incorrect about the professional security organization that I proudly manage. Take care, and best wishes in your future endeavors. TRM
            Actually, I'm not "off base and incorrect" with my statement. When I name the company you manage, then you would know this because I will preface my statement with "Whatcom" or "that company you were referring to, SecTrainer."

            There are many "services companies" that combine security and janitorial services. There are some here in Wisconsin, there are many in Florida, and I'm sure there are some in your state, as well.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

            "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

            Comment


            • #7
              An International company that I worked for had us reading and logging the water meters every shift. I guess they wanted to know how many times we flushed the hoppers at night.
              And the thing I hated the most was they had us reporting any slacking by their own in house cleaners. I'm sure that they could afford to have one of their own people do that job as IMO it has nothing to do with security or safety issues.
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                [QUOTE=N. A. Corbier] Originally Posted by N. A. Corbier
                Considering their security personnel are completely unarmed (and have no communication), I'd say they're probably the janitorial staff, too.QUOTE]

                I was simply correcting your assumptions and out lining the truth about my organization. I'll direct the rest of my response to your private message in box. Take care, be safe, and have a great rest of the week folks... TRM
                Tony R. Myhre
                Regional Director - Division Manager
                Whatcom Security Agency
                [email protected]
                Member - International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA)
                "No One of us is as good as All of Us"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Washington State Security Jobs

                  If you want a good Security job, I would look at some in-house agencies here in Washington State. Chances are that you'll be compensated, and treated, better.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Its common for some "services companies" to run combine security and janitorial services. After all, the guard isn't actually "doing anything" while patrolling, so he can perform janitorial duties as well.

                    One of the two local security companies also has a janitorial service. Considering their security personnel are completely unarmed (and have no communication), I'd say they're probably the janitorial staff, too.

                    Don't let my inhouse managers hear this. At my inhouse job, we do mostly mopping and cleaning and less of monitoring cameras and observe/report, occassional enforce. The mop is the most used tool ("weapon of choice"?) at my inhouse property, chosen more often than OC, baton, firearm, or cuffs. Heh.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      IMO I would have to renegotiate the contract as in my state janitorial pays more than unarmed security. This is part of the reason people belittle security when they see them cleaning the floors.
                      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have seen job ad's up here as well for security involving cleaning, mostly at fitness clubs, where you take care of reception overnight as well.

                        I guess this gets around the license issue
                        Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                        Groucho Marx

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Of course, there are situations where I'd expect an officer to grab a mob, a broom or a hose, and that's if there's a safety issue that has to be addressed promptly and the officer is in the best position to do so.

                          On the other hand, if the spill in question were to involve any sort of potentially hazardous material and the officer isn't specifically trained to deal with it, I'd expect him to be doing other things such as notifying the right people, clearing the area, preventing others from entering the area, etc, assuming the situation is not so hazardous that he himself is required to evacuate based on the scene safety size-up. (Victims don't make good rescuers!)
                          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                          "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                          "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                          "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sorry, but be it a guard, officer, agent.. whatever, if I am in a designated security function as my #1 job discription, I am NOT cleaning, mopping, taking dictation, servicing candy or soda vending machines, washing the bosses car or any other duty which might compromise my primary job function or distract me from doing my primary job function, unless it is minor end of shift house keeping / cleaning, expected where ever one is employed.

                            This would be especially true if this 2nd "maid / janitor servicde" job function was not made known to me apon or previous to my hire for job function #1.
                            I probably would NOT work for a company who ask that of me either...in MHO they are buttering thier bread on both sides and have little concern for doing either job function to the best of thier ability or to the betterment of the client..if they need a meter reader, maid, janitor, then hire a real meter reader, maid or janitor to do that task..if you need a security guard, watch man, etc, then hire that & ask them to do just that..anything else is less then professional, actually its chicken $#!%...and people wonder why there is a need for unions!
                            Yoda
                            Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here Here!

                              That's dead on... I wouldn't, and don't ask my Officers to do anything that's not directly related to the care, welfare, safety and security of the facility and persons they are responsible for. Like SecTrainer said, there's a time and place, but as a general rule, a S/O's primary function is just that... Security Officer. TRM

                              Originally posted by FDG06
                              Sorry, but be it a guard, officer, agent.. whatever, if I am in a designated security function as my #1 job discription, I am NOT cleaning, mopping, taking dictation, servicing candy or soda vending machines, washing the bosses car or any other duty which might compromise my primary job function or distract me from doing my primary job function, unless it is minor end of shift house keeping / cleaning, expected where ever one is employed.

                              This would be especially true if this 2nd "maid / janitor servicde" job function was not made known to me apon or previous to my hire for job function #1.
                              I probably would NOT work for a company who ask that of me either...in MHO they are buttering thier bread on both sides and have little concern for doing either job function to the best of thier ability or to the betterment of the client..if they need a meter reader, maid, janitor, then hire a real meter reader, maid or janitor to do that task..if you need a security guard, watch man, etc, then hire that & ask them to do just that..anything else is less then professional, actually its chicken $#!%...and people wonder why there is a need for unions!
                              Yoda
                              Tony R. Myhre
                              Regional Director - Division Manager
                              Whatcom Security Agency
                              [email protected]
                              Member - International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA)
                              "No One of us is as good as All of Us"

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X