Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armed Security Guard. Sterling, Virginia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooney
    replied
    Originally posted by MTHall49
    I had no idea this would be such a difficult thing to do.
    If a person was hired direct by the government for a position requiring clearance, would that be about the only to get clearance -- assuming no contractor will wait around for an individual to be cleared?
    Normally the government will advertise a position available requiring clearance or will state "able to obtain clearance within 6 monthes" or something similar. When that is the case the person must already be working for the government or a contractor and is already in the loop for a clearance. If noone applies they "may" try to hire from within for the position, if that is not possible they may take outside applicants that do not currently have a clearance but has in the past. The background investigation would then only need to investigate the time since the clearance was active which may shorten the time needed for approval. It is a serious pain for someone to obtain one to try to get a job. That is why a person with a clearance ussualy makes $20k more than someone without. I am a government contractor and have many problems with clearance issues and employees. It is extremely hard to find people that have them. That is one reason we normally hire veterans that have been out less than 2 years. Otherwise it can cost my company $50-$100k to get someone a clearance and the time needed for approval is still 2 years. So, by the time they get their clearance they may be working for someone else or no longer interested in the position, then were out the investment.

Leave a comment:

• MTHall49
    replied
    Thanks for the informaiton

I had no idea this would be such a difficult thing to do.
    If a person was hired direct by the government for a position requiring clearance, would that be about the only to get clearance -- assuming no contractor will wait around for an individual to be cleared?

Leave a comment:

• Rooney
    replied
    Security clearances can only be obtained through official DOD channels. A civilian can only get a clearance through a DOD contractor. The application process and approval can take up to 2 years. Past military (less than 2 years out) with clearance is considered current. You must be sponsored by a defense contractor to obtain one if you do not have one. The only problem is with the cost most contractors prefer to hire people that already have clearance. Also the wait time is unsuitable for most positions because they require a person with current or active clearance and the job is open now. So most people are out of luck applying for a position that requires clearance.

Here is a link for info on clearances:

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com...047365,00.html

Leave a comment:

• MTHall49
    replied
    Any suggestions how to get started?

I have been watching for an opportunity for decent paying armed security preferrably with a company contracting with the Federal Government. I have no clue how to go about getting whatever certification is needed, security clearance started etc. I live in Falling Waters, WV which is not far from Martinsburg, WV (ATF, USCG, and other agencies there), not too far from Frederick, MD or Chambersburg, PA). I was previously under the impression that one of the requirements for most companies was to be in absolutely superb physical condition, but after taking a good look at the armed personnel at one of the government facilities I drive past on the way to work I guess there be some leeway.
    Any ideas or suggestions on how to get started are appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• mh892
    started a topic Armed Security Guard. Sterling, Virginia.

Armed Security Guard. Sterling, Virginia.

Passing on info. sent to me.

www.apt-llc.com click on employment, armed security guard.
    Or, e-mail [email protected]

Armed Security Guards with DCJS certification. Must have active TS/SCI DOD clearance. Company provides uniforms and equipment. Looks like some damn good pay.

Good luck to those applying. Lets us know what happens.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X