Any SPO's / SCOP's in the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any SPO's / SCOP's in the forum?

Anyone here a Special Police Officer or Conservator of the Peace in the VA or D.C. Capitol region?
    I'm traveling to D.C end of this month, while there, was going to app around for a gig, would appreciate some feeback about such positions, whose a good Co. to work for, etc from anyone working such now or recently used to be..
    Thanks. Yoda
    Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

I should go with you Ive been thinking about going to VA to pursue a SCOP job too
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Hook up with "Security_Steve". He is a new member of this forum that is employed as an SPO in the DC area.
      "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Definately, we need some good SPO's. Ask away with whatever questions you have - I believe Allied Barton has the largest SPO contract in the district.

Comment

I would like to get a good brief on what SPOs do, what type of training they have to go through, what are the requirements (prior military, LE, security?) what type of commission do they have, what type of sites, etc...

Just an overall rundown I guess.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I can only answer for what I do personally and observe on my worksite (and for the company I work for).

I would like to get a good brief on what SPOs do...
            We are the police force for the site. We have more power/authority than the unarmed security and even the plain armed guards (they have armed guards in the Commonwealth of Virginia - such as Brinks/Loomis Fargo). We run access control, patrol (interior/exterior). We are the authority on that site. We can detain for probable cause such as when a worker fails to produce proper ID.

We search bags/cars and anything which can hide something dangerous to our clients. Remember, we guard the DC Water and Sewer Authority and are forever getting post orders/updates about terrorist activity.

Our uniform consists of navy blue slacks, LE boots, white shirts (long sleave after Oct 10 with tie), nameplate, badge, head cover, fully equipped nylon duty belt (OC Spray, magazine holders, two cuff cases, glove case, weapon holster, light, key holder, cell phone and radio). We are also required to wear photo ID badge and carry our SPO card at all times.

We have police authority, but the company still prefers us to refer everything to the local LE.

On site, we have patrol cars, guard posts and walking patrols. I currently work a guard post and am in charge of access control.

We can search/seize according to company policy. We keep logs of everything and anything. If you are coming onto our site, we would like to know who you are and why you are coming.

As far as training, you can apply and pay for your SPO out of your own pocket (my company won't hire you unless you already have one - and most companies don't want to pay for it). I can't remember the costs or what all I had to do. I have been through a lot of state guard classes for unarmed, armed, SPO etc - and I do remember that it was alot about the law and your legalities as an SPO. In reality, you will learn everthing you need to know on your site - because while you may have the legal authority as an SPO, the client might not want you to do that particular action.

I was not prior LE or military, I just worked security for a while, received the license and got hired. As I have said before, in the DC area, my company is in dire need of SPO's and pay sign on bonuses and bonuses based on length of service. I receive a nice check each six months just for keeping my employment as an SPO.

So I guess you should get your SPO license, get a few contacts and apply for some jobs. I personally think being an SPO is better than an unarmed position or even an armed position in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

In DC, my company has all the WASA's of DC and has approximately 22,000 hours available for SPO's. I am not sure of other companies and what sites they run. If you get on with WASA, try and get an office building job or a patrol car job - they are the best on the site.

Comment

BHR, let go, I'm flying out on the 23rd for VA., then driving a rental car up to D.C. around Fri. I got a tentaive meet & greet with WSI.

Steve, Thanks for the replys, & your info. There seems to be more then average opprotunites for SPO's in the D.C. area..

#1 - Do you feel that this is reality? (lots of work around) Decent pay?
              #2 - Can one get a SPO commission on your own, or do you need an offer/employment sponsor from a Co 1st before pursuing that?
              #3 - Alot of Co's advertise that you need SPO license to be eligible to apply, any idea why that is, is it expensive to get & in your opinion, why do they require it, rather then require that you be eligible to obtain it & then take you thru the steps?
              Does 250 hrs of academy sound correct?
              #4 - In your opionion, are there any Co's that stand out as being ones to steer clear of, or the opposite, ones that seem to be highly professional, squared away?

I appreciate any response & your time.
              Yoda

Comment

its only a figment of my imagination right now... I am in a reserve officer hiring process, if it works out, Im sticking around, if it falls through I will look to Virginia/DC for an SPO or SCOP job or look back to my home state of Kentucky for a LE job.
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

BHR,
                  I will keep you posted, might have some info which might be handy for you, on my return.
                  I hope your reserve works out though, my buddy just completed his level #1 after about 3yrs in North Cali..very competative state to get a cert.
                  Yoda

Comment

That would be super. If you happen to see any brochures or info pamphlets, snatch a couple up!
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X