Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Don't forget, in this day and age, companies are pulling more than just driving records. They may pull your FICO score, as well as contact a company like Choicepoint or UNICRU to pull a workup. This includes your consumer "credit report," and in most cases, a score of below 560 will disqualify you for employment for "failing to take financial responsibility."

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy View Post
    haven't gotten a call back yet, but hopefully that will change.
    Don't get too worried. When I applied at Boeing, it took them a long time to get back to me, but they eventually did.

Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy
    Will this disqualify me from most patrol positions?
    No.

As a side note, your driving record that a potential employer will receive from the Department of Licensing will not show "61 in a 60," only "Speeding" and the date, the court it was handled in, and the case number.

Leave a comment:

• acrand
    replied
    Not generally.

Leave a comment:

• Just_Some_Guy
    replied
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've sent in applications and resumes to some of my top choices a week ago - haven't gotten a call back yet, but hopefully that will change.

Question though: For patrol positions, it seems that most agencies will be taking a look at my driving abstract. I have a single speeding ticket from almost exactly 3 years ago (61 in a 60 - that's not a typo). Will this disqualify me from most patrol positions?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ledgerwood
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    May I ask, what's the duty like when they have one of their strikes?

during a strike, believe it or not you work more hours. Boeing doesn't shut down strike or not so in addition to working normal posts theres a lot more patrol time.

other advantages to Boeing Security:

Boeing is one of the few security agencies that gets to run red lights and sirens (Harborview does as well)

Job security

Security clearences (good if you want to work for feds someday)

Good pay and beniefits, etc.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood View Post
    Been awhile since I last posted on here but if you are looking for a good job in the Seattle area then apply at Boeing.

Requirements for Boeing Security:

Minimum age 21 (were all armed)
    Able to obtain security clearance after employment
    High school / GED
    Valid Drivers license
    Valid Concealed Weapons Permit

For more info go to Boeing.com

As a security officer for them for over 2 1/2 years, I can tell you it is by far the best security job you will ever find in this state. Can't beat the pay (start out at 14.50/hr) or benefits. Can't go into much detail about that but when you top out your making a nice chunk of change. Its also proprietary so you would be a Boeing employee not contract. Worth looking into if you meet the requirements. We are currently hiring. PM me if you want more info.
    May I ask, what's the duty like when they have one of their strikes?

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by Investigation View Post
    You might also want to check out Harborview Medical Center Public Safety (operated by the University of Washington). They are hiring right now and run a very professional department. It is a State job and has excellent benefits and retirement. Starting salary is $16.17 and the job maxes out at $21.56/hour. There is going to be a pay increase next month that will raise the maximum up to around $24.00/hour.
    I met a Harborview guy once when I was in Seattle...I think he'd been in the Federal security service previously. Very sharp individual and from the way he described the department, I gathered there were more like him. Harborview is one of, if not the, major trauma center for Seattle and I guess their ER is one of the busiest on the West coast.

Sounds like a class operation. Based on what you say about salaries, they should have no problem keeping up that high standard.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-28-2007, 04:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Investigation
    replied
    You might also want to check out Harborview Medical Center Public Safety (operated by the University of Washington). They are hiring right now and run a very professional department. It is a State job and has excellent benefits and retirement. Starting salary is $16.17 and the job maxes out at $21.56/hour. There is going to be a pay increase next month that will raise the maximum up to around $24.00/hour.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Ledgerwood
    replied
    Been awhile since I last posted on here but if you are looking for a good job in the Seattle area then apply at Boeing.

Requirements for Boeing Security:

Minimum age 21 (were all armed)
    Able to obtain security clearance after employment
    High school / GED
    Valid Drivers license
    Valid Concealed Weapons Permit

For more info go to Boeing.com

As a security officer for them for over 2 1/2 years, I can tell you it is by far the best security job you will ever find in this state. Can't beat the pay (start out at 14.50/hr) or benefits. Can't go into much detail about that but when you top out your making a nice chunk of change. Its also proprietary so you would be a Boeing employee not contract. Worth looking into if you meet the requirements. We are currently hiring. PM me if you want more info.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by acrand View Post
    ... and believe it or not, AlliedBarton is starting to get into Armed Work.
    That's a scary thought.

I used to work for First Response, but from the Portland office. They're about mid-level from the pay rates & whatnot guys are posting here. They (highly) prefer that you be a current reserve LEO, or retired LEO to do their armed patrol work. When I left, the armed positions started around $11/hr, but that was back in '01 so it's probably a little higher now. They're not too bad of a company to work for, so they're at least worth looking at.

Leave a comment:

• acrand
    replied
    Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy View Post
    Hello again everyone. I recently hit my 21st birthday, legally (and hopefully) opening up a lot of opportunities. I'm interested in transferring to an armed company and being an armed officer, as the increase in pay would definitely help out with tuition. Two questions:

1. What are some of the Seattle-area companies that are armed? I'm aware of NWP, IPSS, Paragon, FR, and KHP. Are there any more, or any in-house opportunities?

2. It seems that most of the armed companies are looking for officers that already have an armed license. I was previously under the impression that I could only get an armed license if I was with an armed company, but I just reviewed the DOL site again, and it seems the only requirements to upgrade to armed is to have an unarmed license, be 21, and be certified by WSCJTC. Can someone confirm that it's possible for me to obtain an armed license while I am still with my unarmed company?
    You are correct in that you must be employed by a Security Company to obtain an Armed Guard License in the State of Washington. It used to be that a company had to be classified as Armed or Unarmed. Recently, they have made the change that armed is an endorsement of the Security License, however, prior to anyone being armed with the company, the principle of the company must have the armed endorsement. Whether your company is endorsed or not, nothing is stopping you from taking the 8 hour armed certification, that is a requirment to obtaining an armed license. The certificates are emailed to the instructors now and by having this certificate, you may make yourself more valuable to a prospective employer since they know you can pass the course, and not having to pay you or the instructor for putting you through the course. The only thing about taking the course, is that you must qualify with the firearm that you will be carrying in the field. Some companies supply firearms to their employees, and some companies have their Officer's supply their own and lease them to the company. See the web address below. There you can find everything you need for the firearms certification course as well as a list of instructors in the area. For Licensing infomation, go to the Washington State Department of Licensing. Hope this helps.

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/pri...ity/index.html

Additional Armed Companies in the area are Security Services Northwest and believe it or not, AlliedBarton is starting to get into Armed Work.

Leave a comment:

• acrand
    replied
    Originally posted by LPGuy View Post
    Thanks for the info, everyone!

Is this the correct Website for Paragon? http://www.parasys.com/

They do some government contracts, right?
    They were just awarded the Federal Contract in Seattle. Very nice pay for Armed Security. From sources that are transferring over from the Securitas, Starting looks to be around $18.00 / hour, plus health and welfare.

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Investigation View Post
    Boeing requires that the person have a police experience or an academy within a few years of applying.
    They will also accept military experience or a criminal justice degree.

Leave a comment:

• Investigation
    replied
    Originally posted by LPGuy View Post
    Securitas holds a federal contract(s) in the Seattle area, and their officers for those sites are armed. Boeing (in-house) is obviously armed, as well. I would greatly recommend that you apply with them. Either the Highline or Shoreline (I can't remember which) School District employes armed security officers, but you must hold a police academy certification to be hired.
    That would be Highline, and they only hire ex-law enforcement. Tacoma schools, as well as Bates Technical College, are armed, but I am not too familiar with their requirements. Being public agencies, I would imagine that they are fairly selective on who they hire. Boeing requires that the person have a police experience or an academy within a few years of applying. The Highlands, a gated community near Shoreline, used to have in-house armed security many years ago. You might want to check them out.

You might want to try and armored truck company to get started. I always see them hiring in the Seattle area (Dunbar, AT Systems, and Brinks). The State will not issue you certification unless you are with an armed company. You may be able to obtain the required training on your own. This training is a mere 12 hours and, as I see it, not enough to work in the field.
    Last edited by Investigation; 05-23-2007, 05:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    Yes, I've visited the site, during the course of some other training research I was doing. I guess they have a certification program going. Have you thought about jumping into that?
    I haven't heard of any talk of certification through my department. It would be interesting, but I'm currently in the hiring process with several police departments, so...

As far as Boeing goes, they do have a lengthy hiring process (they are slow to even get back to applicants in the first place), but I believe they hire you on the condition that you are able to acquire a Secret Clearance within X amount of time after being hired.

I recently saw that Boeing was hiring for security officer positions in Seattle, but I no longer see the requisition on their Website.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X