• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy
    In the same Seattle area, can someone tell me about these companies?:

Star Protection Agency
    Northwest Security Services
    Puget Sound Security
    ACSS
    And in-house for Bellevue Square, Seattle Public Library, and any school campus security
    I'm only familiar with Puget Sound Security, as I've worked with some of their officers before when we've contracted them for security duties. I was extremely unimpressed by the quality of the people that they hire, to the point that I would never apply with that company. Of course, I only saw five different officers, but each one happened to be extremely incompetent.

One officer arrived with his uniform shirt tucked into a pair of jeans, then sat in his car for approximately an hour-and-a-half when his assignment involved patrolling a parking lot. Another officer worked an overnight shift in our building, keeping an eye on some construction contractors we had hired. Her report read something along the lines of this:

0200: I can hear a jackhammer now on the other side of these walls. That thing sure is loud. Those guys must really be working hard.
    0300: It sure is getting cold in here! I'm really glad I have this jacket.
    0400: It's so dark in here once the lights turned off! I'm glad I have this flashlight that the manager gave me. I hold on to it for dear life.

...three pages of that. I couldn't stop laughing while I read it.

Comment

Seattle Area Jobs

The Seattle area, let alone Washington State, is a hard market to find a good job in Security. It would be in your best interest to obtain as much training as you can since the good paying, and respected, jobs around here have highly qualified applicants filling them. Any L.E. training (Reserve/F.T. academy), corrections, Associate degree in Criminal Justice, etc… will help. Here are a few professional proprietary (in-house) agencies that you should look at:

Harborview Medical Center (very busy)
      City of Seattle - Seattle Center (used to be commissioned)
      Washington State Convention and Trade Center
      Seattle Central Community College (very busy)
      Bellevue Community College
      Highline Community College
      Shoreline Community College
      Kent School District
      Federal Way School District
      Boeing
      Hanford Patrol (Eastern Washington)
      Department of Reclamation Security (Eastern Washington)

Try and stay away from contract security in Seattle. I have yet to see a professional operation around here that trains and compensates their officers well.

Comment

becoming armed in WA

Hello again everyone. I recently hit my 21st birthday, legally (and hopefully) opening up a lot of opportunities. I'm interested in transferring to an armed company and being an armed officer, as the increase in pay would definitely help out with tuition. Two questions:

1. What are some of the Seattle-area companies that are armed? I'm aware of NWP, IPSS, Paragon, FR, and KHP. Are there any more, or any in-house opportunities?

2. It seems that most of the armed companies are looking for officers that already have an armed license. I was previously under the impression that I could only get an armed license if I was with an armed company, but I just reviewed the DOL site again, and it seems the only requirements to upgrade to armed is to have an unarmed license, be 21, and be certified by WSCJTC. Can someone confirm that it's possible for me to obtain an armed license while I am still with my unarmed company?

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy View Post
          1. What are some of the Seattle-area companies that are armed? I'm aware of NWP, IPSS, Paragon, FR, and KHP. Are there any more, or any in-house opportunities?
          Securitas holds a federal contract(s) in the Seattle area, and their officers for those sites are armed. Boeing (in-house) is obviously armed, as well. I would greatly recommend that you apply with them. Either the Highline or Shoreline (I can't remember which) School District employes armed security officers, but you must hold a police academy certification to be hired.

I would also recommend that you research some of the companies that Investigation listed just above your post. Not all of them are armed, but most of them probably pay comparably, if not more. I now work unarmed for a large school district in the area, and the pay, benefits, and hours are excellent--probably far better than any armed contract company.
          Last edited by LPGuy; 05-23-2007, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LPGuy View Post
            Securitas holds a federal contract(s) in the Seattle area, and their officers for those sites are armed. Boeing (in-house) is obviously armed, as well. I would greatly recommend that you apply with them. Either the Highline or Shoreline (I can't remember which) School District employes armed security officers, but you must hold a policy academy certification to be hired.

I would also recommend that you research some of the companies that Investigation listed just above your post. Not all of them are armed, but most of them probably pay comparably, if not more. I now work unarmed for a large school district in the area, and the pay, benefits, and hours are excellent--probably far better than any armed contract company.
            Are you a member of NASRO, LPGuy, and if so, what do you think of that organization? What I've heard of them sounds very impressive.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
              Are you a member of NASRO, LPGuy, and if so, what do you think of that organization? What I've heard of them sounds very impressive.
              I'm not a NASRO member; however, I attend WSSO (Washington School Safety Organization; http://www.wsso.us/) meetings, which is quasi-affiliated with NASRO.

I've also heard good things about NASRO, but I couldn't really give you any details about the organization besides what can be learned from their Website, http://www.nasro.org/.

Comment

I'm not a NASRO member; however, I attend WSSO (Washington School Safety Organization; http://www.wsso.us/) meetings, which is quasi-affiliated with NASRO.

I've also heard good things about NASRO, but I couldn't really give you any details about the organization besides what can be learned from their Website, http://www.nasro.org/.
                Yes, I've visited the site, during the course of some other training research I was doing. I guess they have a certification program going. Have you thought about jumping into that?

Comment

Securitas holds a federal contract(s) in the Seattle area, and their officers for those sites are armed. Boeing (in-house) is obviously armed, as well. I would greatly recommend that you apply with them. Either the Highline or Shoreline (I can't remember which) School District employes armed security officers, but you must hold a policy academy certification to be hired.
                  Securitas no longer has that federal contract as of 01 June; it went to Paragon with the low bid.

IIRC, Highline is the armed district.

Boeing is hiring right now.

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson View Post
                    Securitas no longer has that federal contract as of 01 June; it went to Paragon with the low bid.

IIRC, Highline is the armed district.

Boeing is hiring right now.
                    There's a pretty long lead time for Boeing, isn't there? I think most of their jobs require current secret or top secret clearances, no? The catch is, short of someone coming out of the military with a clearance, how do you get a clearance before someone who requires a clearance hires you and requests the clearance (which obviously can take months, they're so far behind on them...)?
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                      Yes, I've visited the site, during the course of some other training research I was doing. I guess they have a certification program going. Have you thought about jumping into that?
                      I haven't heard of any talk of certification through my department. It would be interesting, but I'm currently in the hiring process with several police departments, so...

As far as Boeing goes, they do have a lengthy hiring process (they are slow to even get back to applicants in the first place), but I believe they hire you on the condition that you are able to acquire a Secret Clearance within X amount of time after being hired.

I recently saw that Boeing was hiring for security officer positions in Seattle, but I no longer see the requisition on their Website.

Comment

Securitas holds a federal contract(s) in the Seattle area, and their officers for those sites are armed. Boeing (in-house) is obviously armed, as well. I would greatly recommend that you apply with them. Either the Highline or Shoreline (I can't remember which) School District employes armed security officers, but you must hold a police academy certification to be hired.
                        That would be Highline, and they only hire ex-law enforcement. Tacoma schools, as well as Bates Technical College, are armed, but I am not too familiar with their requirements. Being public agencies, I would imagine that they are fairly selective on who they hire. Boeing requires that the person have a police experience or an academy within a few years of applying. The Highlands, a gated community near Shoreline, used to have in-house armed security many years ago. You might want to check them out.

You might want to try and armored truck company to get started. I always see them hiring in the Seattle area (Dunbar, AT Systems, and Brinks). The State will not issue you certification unless you are with an armed company. You may be able to obtain the required training on your own. This training is a mere 12 hours and, as I see it, not enough to work in the field.
                        Last edited by Investigation; 05-23-2007, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Investigation View Post
                          Boeing requires that the person have a police experience or an academy within a few years of applying.
                          They will also accept military experience or a criminal justice degree.

Comment

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Is this the correct Website for Paragon? http://www.parasys.com/

They do some government contracts, right?
                            They were just awarded the Federal Contract in Seattle. Very nice pay for Armed Security. From sources that are transferring over from the Securitas, Starting looks to be around $18.00 / hour, plus health and welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Some_Guy View Post
                              Hello again everyone. I recently hit my 21st birthday, legally (and hopefully) opening up a lot of opportunities. I'm interested in transferring to an armed company and being an armed officer, as the increase in pay would definitely help out with tuition. Two questions:

2. It seems that most of the armed companies are looking for officers that already have an armed license. I was previously under the impression that I could only get an armed license if I was with an armed company, but I just reviewed the DOL site again, and it seems the only requirements to upgrade to armed is to have an unarmed license, be 21, and be certified by WSCJTC. Can someone confirm that it's possible for me to obtain an armed license while I am still with my unarmed company?
                              You are correct in that you must be employed by a Security Company to obtain an Armed Guard License in the State of Washington. It used to be that a company had to be classified as Armed or Unarmed. Recently, they have made the change that armed is an endorsement of the Security License, however, prior to anyone being armed with the company, the principle of the company must have the armed endorsement. Whether your company is endorsed or not, nothing is stopping you from taking the 8 hour armed certification, that is a requirment to obtaining an armed license. The certificates are emailed to the instructors now and by having this certificate, you may make yourself more valuable to a prospective employer since they know you can pass the course, and not having to pay you or the instructor for putting you through the course. The only thing about taking the course, is that you must qualify with the firearm that you will be carrying in the field. Some companies supply firearms to their employees, and some companies have their Officer's supply their own and lease them to the company. See the web address below. There you can find everything you need for the firearms certification course as well as a list of instructors in the area. For Licensing infomation, go to the Washington State Department of Licensing. Hope this helps.

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/pri...ity/index.html

Additional Armed Companies in the area are Security Services Northwest and believe it or not, AlliedBarton is starting to get into Armed Work.

Comment

Originally posted by acrand View Post
                                ... and believe it or not, AlliedBarton is starting to get into Armed Work.
                                That's a scary thought.

I used to work for First Response, but from the Portland office. They're about mid-level from the pay rates & whatnot guys are posting here. They (highly) prefer that you be a current reserve LEO, or retired LEO to do their armed patrol work. When I left, the armed positions started around $11/hr, but that was back in '01 so it's probably a little higher now. They're not too bad of a company to work for, so they're at least worth looking at.
                                Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                                Originally posted by ValleyOne
                                BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                                Shoulda called in sick.
                                Be safe!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X