Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 Years Hotel security Experience

Anyone hiring?

I worked from 1977 until 1981 at a hotel in Montreal. It closed in October 1981. For the last year there were signs it was going to close.

I've seen the same signs here since about July. When a business closes in Quebec they have to advise the government 3 months ahead. The notice was given today. We will close on April 30. I will have worked here for 32 1/2 years.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Hows the security market up there job wise? Could always get into LP Neil
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
      Hows the security market up there job wise? Could always get into LP Neil
      I don't know. I.ve been working at the same place for 32 years, haven't had to check the market!

I'm sure I could get a reference from Curtis LOL!LOL! LOL!

Comment

I'll have some positions opening up soon. Just think, you'll be near myself annd Cope!

In all seriousness though, what are ya plans?

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
          I'll have some positions opening up soon. Just think, you'll be near myself annd Cope!

In all seriousness though, what are ya plans?
          The same owner owns 2 smaller hotels in Montreal & apparently is building another. We supply Security to 1 of these hotels. I can bump the person there but I'm not sure if they will hire me or keep the guy who is there.. I am on the payroll of the other hotel & can bump there for sure but it pays $3.50/hour less.

The owner likes me. I'm going to wait a few weeks & then talk to him.

It's possible the new owners could keep the hotel open but VERY unlikely. Apparently it, like 5 or 6 other hotels in the downtown area have been turned into student residences. I'm the "expert" on the electronic locks. Maybe they'll offer me a job.

1 day at a time.

(My daughter works here too & her boyfriend lost his job a few months ago & can't find one.)

Comment

Well I truly hope ot works out in your favor.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
              I don't know. I.ve been working at the same place for 32 years, haven't had to check the market!

I'm sure I could get a reference from Curtis LOL!LOL! LOL!
              At your age (no offense as I am older than you) I would look at becoming a Consultant. You certainly have the industry expertise needed and sought after. The key factor is you know how it should be done and how it should not be done.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                At your age (no offense as I am older than you) I would look at becoming a Consultant. You certainly have the industry expertise needed and sought after. The key factor is you know how it should be done and how it should not be done.
                Amen! We don't really know much about you HS, but you got one thing going for you, and it's called
                personality, and my views a good moral, and decent person
                And older, and wiser

Does that matter in the work place in 2014? To me it does. Mature, steady, warm caring, and yes
                experienced, and a good worker.

A question. How old are you? Do you have Social Security in Canada? Can you begin receiving benefits?
                Maybe its time to bring the horses back in the barn, and maybe semi-retire.
                You seem to have to deal with some stress in your job
                Just my views
                Keep us posted
                http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                  A sincere thank-you Curtis.

The new private security law in Quebec covers consulting & makes it very expensive to get into the business.

One of my specialities is managing all versions of the Kaba Ilco electronic locks. I'm thinking of opening a side business offering this service. The student residences are keeping the locks.
                  Last edited by HotelSecurity; 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
                    Amen! We don't really know much about you HS, but you got one thing going for you, and it's called
                    personality, and my views a good moral, and decent person
                    And older, and wiser

Does that matter in the work place in 2014? To me it does. Mature, steady, warm caring, and yes
                    experienced, and a good worker.

A question. How old are you? Do you have Social Security in Canada? Can you begin receiving benefits?
                    Maybe its time to bring the horses back in the barn, and maybe semi-retire.
                    You seem to have to deal with some stress in your job
                    Just my views
                    Keep us posted
                    Thanks Cope.

I will be 58 in March, a few years to young to retire. When I reach 65 there are provincial & federal pensions. I could collect unemployment for a year but it is only 55% of your salary. (Used to be much higher until the Conservatives came into power LOL!)

We own a Holiday Inn near the airport. The guy who works there is paid by the Holiday Inn that is closing. I have seniority over him so I'm going there. However there are rumours in the media that this one might close too. They want to cut my salary there too, maybe by as much as $3.00/hour.

Plan B is to go to the Crowne Plaza next door to the Holiday Inn. It's security works directly for it although I supervise them & am on their payroll, again with seniority. Again however, a pay cut.

When things calm down a bit I plan to go directly to see the owner & see if I can negotiate my salary & benefits. He is about to build a small hotel on the other side of the airport & will still need someone to supervise all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                      Thanks Cope.

I will be 58 in March, a few years to young to retire. When I reach 65 there are provincial & federal pensions. I could collect unemployment for a year but it is only 55% of your salary. (Used to be much higher until the Conservatives came into power LOL!)

We own a Holiday Inn near the airport. The guy who works there is paid by the Holiday Inn that is closing. I have seniority over him so I'm going there. However there are rumours in the media that this one might close too. They want to cut my salary there too, maybe by as much as $3.00/hour.

Plan B is to go to the Crowne Plaza next door to the Holiday Inn. It's security works directly for it although I supervise them & am on their payroll, again with seniority. Again however, a pay cut.

When things calm down a bit I plan to go directly to see the owner & see if I can negotiate my salary & benefits. He is about to build a small hotel on the other side of the airport & will still need someone to supervise all 3.
                      I know this does not help much, but sometimes things happen for reasons we do not know why
                      Perhaps a better opportunity, or better job
                      But keep us updated

BTW:

"I could collect unemployment for a year but it is only 55% of your salary. (Used to be much higher until the Conservatives came into power LOL!)"
                      That is true even if liberals are in power, at least in Massachusetts
                      It is more like 50%
                      But one can collect up to 99 weeks

Comment

Damn HS, I am sorry to hear that .....

Keep a stiff upper lip and keep your options open ... I am very sure that someone with your experience will be able to land something. Not sure about Canada, but down here age doens't seem to be as much of a detriment to finding a good job in security as it is in other careers. You sound like you are doing the right thing ... you have a plan, goals and a way to get things done. Guys of our age aren't really the type to sit in a corner and whine about, "Whoa is meeeee, boo-hoo ..."

I know it may sound trite ... but Cope is right. Things do happen for a reason. I honestly believe you will land on your feet ... the landing may be a little bumpy but that's what good shoes are for.

I will keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer for you. Keep us up to speed.
                        "The Emperor is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress. I am here to put you back on schedule."

Comment

Originally posted by Son-Of-A-Pilot View Post
                          Not sure about Canada, but down here age doens't seem to be as much of a detriment to finding a good job in security as it is in other careers. You sound like you are doing the right thing ... you have a plan, goals and a way to get things done. Guys of our age aren't really the type to sit in a corner and whine about, "Whoa is meeeee, boo-hoo ..."
                          Give me the old gal, or old guy most anytime
                          There are bums in the lot of older guys, and good people who youngsters
                          But as alluded by Pilot your age maybe a plus

Comment

Anyone know anything about Student Residence Security?

The new owners have expressed interest in keeping Security & Maintenance.

Comment

I worked dormitory security at a college for awhile. All I know is obviously how the U.S. does it, Canada may be different (or so I've heard).

I'd try for a private college. They tend to want people who are more customer service oriented, can project a friendly image, and can handle problems in a way that won't alienate the clients (in this case, the students and their tuition paying parents). Your hotel experience (IMHO) would be perfect.

In the states the public universities are run by the state, and they are required to have police departments. Unless you are enrolling as a student, the security positions tend to be work study jobs for the students. This isn't true, however, for larger facilities - I know University of Washington has police and trained security officers (not student employees) that have to have certifications, etc.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X